• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olive-backed Sunbird (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Is anyone able to help with the subspecies for this individual from Langkawi: https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=614886

I'm at the moment presuming C. j. flammaxillaris, however both Clements and IOC only mention Malay peninsula, not this island.

I checked in Avibase, but they don't have Langkawi in the distribution, so I got a bit stuck.

Wondering if you can confirm

I saw a Facebook image of another individual from Langkawi the other day, which had me a bit puzzled - it looked subtly different from the birds I'm used to, less well-marked. I'll try to find it.

I can't comment on the subspecies based on the photo, but I would think that the subspecies on Langkawi will be the same as on the adjacent mainland. Possibly the geographical descriptions you referenced don't mention every small island on which a taxon occurs if this is part of a larger range (similarly I expect they don't report on the subspecies present on each Thai island).

You would think so, John, but Langkawi is quite a large island and does have 3 species not found elsewhere in Peninsular Malaysia - Brown-winged Kingfisher, Mountain Hawk-eagle and Black-hooded Oriole. The peninsula has two subspecies, flamaxillaris in the north down to Penang and ornatus in the centre and south. I'm not sure where the boundary lies. I found out from HBW that there's a further possible subspecies, heliobletus, from Tanjong Dungun, a relatively small area with mangroves on the east coast (some friends of ours rent a beach house there). I'd like to find out more about this as I'm pretty sure the FB images I saw were taken in mangroves.

Last edited:
Thanks Andy. I hadn't realised that there was that much difference between Langkawi and the mainland (I've never been, so was guessing based on the physical location not any personal experience).

I can't comment on the subspecies based on the photo, but I would think that the subspecies on Langkawi will be the same as on the adjacent mainland. Possibly the geographical descriptions you referenced don't mention every small island on which a taxon occurs if this is part of a larger range (similarly I expect they don't report on the subspecies present on each Thai island).

I did wonder that John, but usually Clements will say "and adj islands", hence I checked Avibase, who make no mention of Lankawi in the range. They also have acceess to check-lists for the different areas. They have one for Lankawi, based on the Howard & Moore List, but that doesn't give me the subspecies.

I've downloaded the Howard & Moore 4.1 spreadsheet, but Lankawi still isn't mentioned on it.

Thanks for your comments too Andy. I do hope you can find out more in your own research, as I'm completely stuck now.

Just looked at Wells, which mentions only the 2 subspecies - no mention of that localised taxon. The dull green crown and chestnut border to the breast of flamaxillaris, absent in ornatus, can be seen on this bird:

http://www.langkawi-nature.com/Photo-gallery/Birds/olive-backed sunbird-640.jpg

Also here:

https://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/olive-backed-sunbird-cinnyris-jugularis/one-bird-branch

Apparently intergrades occur as far south as Selangor.

So I think we can assume your female is flammaxillaris.

When I'm in Langkawi later this month, I'll try to study any females I see and compare them with females seen elsewhere.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all your research into this Andy. It's very much appreciated.

It would appear I'm safe enough to label the picture as a flammaxillaris then, which is a bit of a relief!

Good luck with finding some ladies to study when you next visit Langkawi;)

I didn't get a good look at any females there but males are definitely flammaxillaris.

Individuals around KL are intermediate.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back