• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Attracting Hummingbirds with Decoys (1 Viewer)

As the Hummingbirds leave I have an interest experiment I tried to do with them, I was interested in trying an experiment to see if hummingbirds would respond to a decoy
video
Set up: I made a the paper hummingbird by Johan Scherft, and attached it to a feeder.
Results: I had little action before I put the decoy on, but soon after attaching it A humming bird showed up and took a look at the decoy.
Conclusion: although it is not to scientific, It appears you can bring in hummingbirds with a decoy.

Woah! That's an impressive paper hummingbird you've created! It looks so real! When you said you made it out of paper, I assumed it would look really fake, but that's not the case. Funny music you chose for this video, very cute experiment :)

Very nice paper hummingbird. I have found the feeder and plants do a great job of attracting them on their own.

Impressive decoy indeed! However, as opposed to you using one to attract hummingbirds, I wonder if I could use one to do the opposite and try to get rid of one really territorial Allen's? I've got hummers year round—correction, I'm supposed to have hummers year round, but no thanks to one bully, that's not the case, except when he left last year between December to February. You've given me an idea I haven't yet tried…now I just have to find a decoy (or rather a hummingbird scarecrow).

Yeah, that bird is definitely not happy with the competition. We have several feeders in our yard and get birds year round. We switch to window mounted versions in the winter. Don't exactly understand whey they don't seem to like them in the summer. Anyway, we seem to get a new batch with a dominant bird - then one day they're all gone and new batch comes in.

I have a couple of wind chimes with hummingbirds on them. I've seen hummers check those out very cautiously, trying to see if the birds are real or not. The plastic dangling hummers on the one wind chime have lost all their original color in the weather and hummers pay no attention to them now. In fact, the birds like to perch on the metal circle at the very top of the chimes, which is the only reason I keep that wind chime at this point.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back