• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Heading South Early? (1 Viewer)

Beach Bum

I'm in the Kansas City area, and have been for a very long time. Usually, our Hummers stay until near the first frost. However, this year, they left about a week ago and my neighbors have verified the same thing. Any thoughts? Do the Hummers know more about the coming winter than the weatherman?:eek!:

I am wondering the same, actually. They don't typically leave NY until October, and I filled my feeders one last time earlier today so they would have something for their trip, but I don't see anyone. Strange.

Still having a lot here in the Dallas, Texas area, but we are still having warm weather. Are you having cooler weather up north this time of year? I'm curious to see how long they stick around. Most of the regular birds that eat seeds/suet have gone already though. They will start coming back once it gets cold up north.

Last edited:
We've cooled off slightly, like into the 50s and 60s, but that's it. My neighbors with feeders have told me the same thing. I'm wondering if the Hummers are like the wooly caterpillars. Leaving early is a bad sign for the coming winter.

So, today I saw a couple of Hummers for the first time in 2 weeks. I'm guessing they were travelers on their way south, stopping off for a snack.

It appears that most of my males have already left but I've got quite an influx of females at the moment.

Usually I don’t see any hummers after about Oct 15.Today, Oct 18, I’ve had two sightings, both females. This is the latest I’ve seen them in my ZIP code, 30117.
10/19/18, she was here this morning again.

Last edited:
Usually I don’t see any hummers after about Oct 15.Today, Oct 18, I’ve had two sightings, both females. This is the latest I’ve seen them in my ZIP code, 30117.

10/20/18, still here today.

10/21/18 , Have had two hummers today.
10/22/18, One hummer this morning.

Last edited:
I'm still seeing a few female Ruby throats but the cold weather is settling in so we'll see who is around over the weekend.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back