• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Please note that there will be further management / surveying work at the Flashes tomorrow (Tuesday 29th September) between 9am and 1pm. The Trust notice advises visitors to go to the Moors Pool but of course there is a regular work party there - I am sure John will advise on the likely level of disturbance at the Moors Pool

Hi Phil. 1st I knew of this mate. At Moors our work party is at the North Moors so there shouldn't be any disturbance. B :)

The high numbers of large gulls coming into the autumn roost is a recent phenonoma. They have been building up rapidly over the last 3 years. Culminating in the record totals of the last few days. It may be as a result of local tip closures forcing the birds to feed closer to Upton and therefore roosting here. It could also be that the numbers are building up due to the lack of disturbance at Upton as opposed to Bartley and Westwood. Whatever the reason it is certainly a sight to behold seeing the Flashes full to the brim with birds. With the added bonus of drawing in unusual species, as witnessed yesterday. Long may it continue B :)
Over the last few evenings I have noticed very large gull movement from the south-east (Upton?) over Rubery heading north-west (Bartley Res.). This evening was in excess of 800 over a 20 minute period. This must be a fraction of the true figure as I have also experienced large numbers heading over Waseley Hill.

Monday 28th September 1350-1800

Normally I would be in rapture over easterlies at the end of September but the blue cloudless sky and soaring temperatures made it tough going this afternoon.

MOORS POOL
Female Wigeon, 1 Gadwall, 41 Shoveler, 7 Teal, 6 Pochard, 14 Cormorant, 2 Grey Heron, 120 Canada Geese, c40 Greylag Geese, 2 Mute Swan +2 cygnets, 2 GC Grebe, 10 Little Grebe, 10 Moorhen, 179 Coot, 2 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull, 2 Snipe, 50 Lapwing, Water Rail, Kingfisher, Kestrel, GS Woodpecker, jay, Cetti's Warbler, Coal Tit, Siskin

SAILING POOL
1 GC Grebe + 1 young, 7 Coot, 3 Moorhen

FLASHES
1 Avocet, 1 Dunlin, 1 Green Sand, 4 Snipe, 17 Curlew, 73 Lapwing, 1 Gadwall, c40 Shoveler, c80 Teal, 24 Moorhen, 24 Coot, Grey Wagtail, Siskin, Cetti's Warbler, Reed Warbler, Swallow, c100 Stock Dove, 1 Raven, 3 Rook, 4 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull, Meadow Pipit, Buzzard, Kingfisher, Goldcrest, Green Woodpecker, Water Rail calling from the Hen Pool, possible Little Owl calling from Sagebury Farm orchard

Over the last few evenings I have noticed very large gull movement from the south-east (Upton?) over Rubery heading north-west (Bartley Res.). This evening was in excess of 800 over a 20 minute period. This must be a fraction of the true figure as I have also experienced large numbers heading over Waseley Hill.

Just to give an ideal of the scale, in the Bartley roost tonight Terry Hinett had 8,000 BH Gull and 5,000 Herring / LBB Gulls.

Please note log books are provided in the hides if you feel inclined to record your sightings ........ :eek!::C

Attachments

• 20150928_173755.jpg
    20150928_173755.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 149
A rubbish record shot taken in failing light this evening at the flashes of this male Stonechat (found by John B. ) but looked a cracking little bird through the scope. ( Nice to have finally caught up with you John. )

Attachments

• P1120542.jpg
    P1120542.jpg
    316.5 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
A rubbish record shot taken in failing light this evening at the flashes of this male Stonechat (found by John B. ) but looked a cracking little bird through the scope. ( Nice to have finally caught up with you John. )

Twice in two days? You're back in earnest Glen! ☝

Tuesday's MOORS work party

Today 14 of us :-Bob O, Bob P, Bob R, Charles, Janet H, Jim B, John C, Paul M, Peter E, Ray C, Roger, Terry W, Tony B and me.

Coppiced willows along the NW shore of the North Moors pool. This is to help the reeds thrive by removing the shading effect and keep the area wet.

Pic 1 before work
2 after, notice how much more open the reeds now are.

Attachments

• 1 afta wrk DSCF0721.jpg
    1 afta wrk DSCF0721.jpg
    975.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 1a nmDSCF0902.jpg
    1a nmDSCF0902.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Birding on the reserve today

At the NM during and after work party.
Water rail, Hobby, cettis - sing around us throughout, chiffchaff 3, goldcrest 2, coal tit, siskin

MOORS:
GCG 2, little grebe 8, cormorant 8, greylag 45, mute swan pr + 2 juvs, Shoveler c70, teal 22, wigeon 3 males + fem, tufted 38, pochard fem coot 190, water rail 2, snipe 6, lapwing 145, kestrel, buzzard,
grey wag, cettis w, blackcap,

FLASHES:
Teal 80, shoveler 85, coot 19,
avocet, dunlin, snipe 3, green sand, curlew 18, lapwing 30,
Peregrine, buzzard 3, sparrowhawk, kestrel juv,
stock dove 125, rook 17, raven,
reed warbler, chiffchaff, cetti's w, siskin 5, redpoll, STONECHAT male to right of main hide, grey wagtail, treecreeper,

GULLS:
Tonight there were only 200 large gulls by 7pm, but my first Yellow Legged ( an adult) of the year was amongst them. A 1st winter common gull was also present a different bird to Sunday's. The 1500 BHG were mainly settled in the 'central area'. But then from out of the sky started the 'flood', as flock after flock of large gulls dropped down. A minimum estimate was of 1600 LBBG and 100+ herrings. As I left at 7.35pm the gulls were still arriving. A truly epic site for such a small area and eeven the flocks of geese had nowhere to land.

FLASHES:
Teal 80, shoveler 85, coot 19,
avocet, dunlin, snipe 3, green sand, curlew 18, lapwing 30,
Peregrine, buzzard 3, sparrowhawk, kestrel juv,
stock dove 125, rook 17, raven,
reed warbler, chiffchaff, cetti's w, siskin 5, redpoll, STONECHAT male to right of main hide, grey wagtail, treecreeper,

GULLS:
Tonight there were only 200 large gulls by 7pm, but my first Yellow Legged ( an adult) of the year was amongst them. A 1st winter common gull was also present a different bird to Sunday's. The 1500 BHG were mainly settled in the 'central area'. But then from out of the sky started the 'flood', as flock after flock of large gulls dropped down. A minimum estimate was of 1600 LBBG and 100+ herrings. As I left at 7.35pm the gulls were still arriving. A truly epic site for such a small area and eeven the flocks of geese had nowhere to land.

Yet another record count of LBB Gull and only 5 short of the reserve's best count of Stock Dove - plenty of incentive for Des and co tomorrow.

cake Day

As part of the work party tradition we have a monthly cake day.
Today we enjoyed lemon and walnut cakes for Bob P's 67th Birthday today and my belated 60th last week. But we also received a welcome boost to the cake day, when Bill Box brought, a new one to me - 'Malteaser cake' top quality. Thanks to Bill's wife Glynis for baking it.B :):eat: John

Attachments

• cake DSCF0888.jpg
    cake DSCF0888.jpg
    851.8 KB · Views: 102
As part of the work party tradition we have a monthly cake day.
Today we enjoyed lemon and walnut cakes for Bob P's 67th Birthday today and my belated 60th last week. But we also received a welcome boost to the cake day, when Bill Box brought, a new one to me - 'Malteaser cake' top quality. Thanks to Bill's wife Glynis for baking it.B :):eat: John
Looks like the 'Gannets' in the hide managed to empty that big cake tin 3:)3:)
Lovely cake Bill, you can come anytime:t::t:

Des had had a first winter Caspian Gull in the roost at the Flashes as well as 7 Common Gulls at the last count

Last edited:
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Caspian Gull (1W) courtesy of JHWR
Common Gull ( 2ad + 9 (1w))
Avocet-------------------Dunlin
Green Sand-------------Lapwing (c50)
B H Gull (c1200)--------Large Gulls (c500) + many which were arriving in near darkness.
Raven--------------------Shoveler (60)
Teal (55)-----------------Curlew (18)

CUCKOO HIDE:
Blackcap (2m+f)--------Cetti's Warbler
Water Rail----------------Stock Dove (148). Counted by JHWR.
Rook (26)

MOORS/N MOORS*
Herring Gull argentatus ? image attached.
Snipe (6)-----------------Lapwing (90)
Shover (40)--------------Teal (12)
Cormorant (15)----------Little Grebe (6)
G C Grebe (2)------------Greylag Goose (38)
Kestrel--------------------Cetti's Warbler
Goldcrest*----------------House Martin*

ED RES/SALWARPE:
Kingfisher-----------------Siskin (1)

Des.

Attachments

• P1120259 (1280x963).jpg
    P1120259 (1280x963).jpg
    384.9 KB · Views: 90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back