• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone any ideas what is causing this (1 Viewer)

Jane Turner

When I try and log into Tesco.com... if I put in the wrong password it tells me I have put in the wrong password.. if I put in the right one, it thinks for a second and returns me to the log in page. No other internet site with password is giving me this problem, though my daughter is experiencing similar problems with a couple of hers.

I can log in fine to Tesco on a different computer. I have deleted all cookies, cleared cache etc... and still I go round in cirlces at the log in screen. I've tried changing my security level... still nothing.

I'm now offcially baffled. I phoned Tesco's helpine and they said it was probably something to do with the cache/or cookies... and they'd send me an email on what to do...they haven't as yet.. but since I cleared the lot I can't see what else I could do.

HELP! I don't want to see supermarket queues ever again

Last edited:
Jane,

I have had this happen on a site or two before.

Do you have Norton Internet Security installed on your computer? I have NIS 2004, and there are two things you can do:

1. Turn Privacy Control Off
2. Leave Privacy Control on, but go to the configuration and set a "Custom Level" for privacy. Click the Custom Level button and uncheck the "Enable Browser Privacy" check box. Then try that site again (if your browser is open, close it, reopen it and go to the site - changes you make in NIS do not take effect within a browser unless you start fresh.

If you don't have NIS on your computer, but some other security/firewall software, you could look for similar settings.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Hi Jane,
I had a similar problem with Birdforum last autumn. Couldn't log on so I followed the forgotten password advice (repeatedly) but still to no avail. I sent a few Email requests for help-followed the advice but still couldn't log on so eventually I re-joined with a new password. My old "persona" still has an image gallery which I can't delete. Would it not be quicker to "re-join" the Tesco delivery service -or would that need a different set of credit card details?

Have tried the rejoin using a diffrent email account.. it still won't let me in under the new name..same circular loop round the log in screen.

I have McAfee firewall.. not touched the settings... will disable.. reboot and see if that is the problem!

I had some trouble with the Tesco site some time ago, but it was a problem at their end. Obviously this can't be the case here, as you say you can access the site on another computer.

I was having problems on some sites that involved opening links in new windows, my banking site being one of them. As I hadn't made any changes to my firewall, I wondered why, all of a sudden, it wasn't working. I concluded that it must have set itself to a particular security level after I downloaded updates from Symantec. After putting all the important sites in the 'trusted' area of the firewall, all the sites now work.

Jane Turner said:
Anyway.. loading a temp copy of XP and AOL onto an old laptop is still easier than going shopping!

I have to agree, Jane. I'm just waiting on my Sainsbury's delivery. Rather them than me out in this weather!! ;)

Jane Turner said:
and I hvae solved the problem.

The date on the puter was set to May 30th 2004!

All fine now.

That would have been my next suggestion!! ;)

It was probably adjusting for daylight saving time!

I had a different problem with Tesco's website, back in November I picked up a leaflet for Holliday insurance from Tesco's, all I had to do was log on to Tesco.com and I could get insured on-line, when I entered the site I found I had to fill in all my details,get a password etc. After about half an hour I was finally allowed in only to find no details at all about Insurance.... I could buy anything from beans to bananas but no insurance!! Believe me Jane I searched everywhere without any results. What annoyed me was the fact that there was no contact e-mail address for anyone experiencing problems. I think every website of this kind should have a contact e-mail address instead of phone help-lines. I feel much better after that little rant!!! thanks for listening.

I founds Sainsburys products looked like they had been sat on by an elephant.. where as the Tesco delivery man is really rather cute :)

Jane Turner said:
I founds Sainsburys products looked like they had been sat on by an elephant.. where as the Tesco delivery man is really rather cute :)

Well, I didn't fancy mine today! - they're different every time.

I find that there are always items missing from a Tesco order - they never seem to get it right. Occasionally there are extra items, though. Had some nice bright white sliced loaf once...ugh!

Unfortunately,our Sainsburys
order is not delivered by pretty girls,perhaps this an area for the PC police to look into.
John

I dont Have this Problem with Harrods ? They usually ring me on a thursday for a saturday morning delivery ;)

Oh, the joy of choice! On the island there is Shoprite (local supermarket with occasional Iceland/Waitrose stuff but few of the offers), Safeway (small, poky shops that don't deliver) and Tesco - big shop that delivers. I find internet shopping a real bonus being over here. Just a bit too easy sometimes though....

Set your computer to use a network time server using Network Time Protocol (NTP) Your ISP my run this service, this will keep your clock with the correct time and remove any future errors like the one experienced.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back