• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds You're Embarrassed About Not Having On Your List (1 Viewer)

i have a few: pied flycatcher, long eared owl and bearded tit, all or in my county and the flycatchers and long eared owl are about 10 mins away but everytime i fail to see them!

It is a funny thing to want to see a particular bird. You almost want to taste it. You have to have that look so bad that it it hurts, well almost hurts! Mine used to be Brolga. Now it is a Bustard, or Plains Turkey.
The one that I am really embarrassed about never seeing is the Barn Owl. I have been within 5 feet of a Powerful Owl, which is a hell of a lot scarcer than a Barn Owl, and yet the Barn Owl keeps coming up as the one I want too see.
Australian Birding is funny. You get what you get. Best bird to see is still a Wedge-tailed Eagle.

Several Eagle Owls, loads of Ostriches, lots of Bonelli's Warblers, plenty of Nightjars, every wader on the british list etc, etc, etc,...but no Lesser spotted Woodpecker (YET) :stuck:

john barclay said:
Several Eagle Owls, loads of Ostriches, lots of Bonelli's Warblers, plenty of Nightjars, every wader on the british list etc, etc, etc,...but no Lesser spotted Woodpecker (YET) :stuck:

Don't you wish you had been at Potteric Carr with the Yorkshire group the other week?! LSW were lifers for me.

Sandra

Hmmm... I don't have too many left.

Both Crossbills - On a trip to the Upper Penninsula of Michigan, I saw several flocks of crossbills fly over (probably both species) but couldn't confirm. Argh!
Black-backed Woodpecker - Everyone except me finds them. Once I missed one by 2 seconds because I was sitting in the back seat.
Ivory Gull - I missed this darn bird by 2 minutes!! A few days later I tried for it again, but that day it never showed.
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow - A rare migrant through Michigan. Hardly anyone ever sees them, since no one tramps through fields.... last year I flushed a sparrow that was probably either a Sharpie or a Leconte's, but it disappeared as soon as it dropped into the grass. Talk about frusterating.

--Neil G.

mini-colster said:
Umm...Long-eared Owl, got the other 4 owls but i never get to see LEO :(

Did 5 in four hours once in Surrey, Middlesex and Berkshire. That included a roost of 17 LEOs......

I suppose my embarrassing one remains Lanceolated Warbler, but I'm way past going to Fair Isle just to nail that. Surely there must be another East Coast one this year?

John

Rough-legged hawk, white-eyed vireo (should have seen many times in texas, rest of the group did but not me)....more to be added later

I've seen damn near everything that occurs regularly in California (plus a bunch that have no business being here) and all but 4 of your list, but one of my more embarrassing life list holes is your talisman: Snow Bunting. Bohemian Waxwing is my nemesis, as I've chased it at least a half dozen times without success.

overworkedirish said:
Let's see... Swainson's Thrush, Bicknell's Thrush, Gray-cheeked Thrush, Reddish Egret (seriously should have had in Turks & Caicos), Snow Goose, Lesser Scaup, Black Scoter, Broad-winged Hawk (JEEZ), Rough-legged Hawk, Northern Bobwhite, Ruffed Grouse, Clapper Rail, Solitary Sandpiper, Upland Sandpiper, Red Knot, Pectoral Sandpiper, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Iceland Gull, Least Tern, Forster's Tern, SEEING a Great Horned Owl (only heard), same with Eastern Screech, either eared owl, Red-headed Woodpecker, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Acadian Flycatcher, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Willow Flycatcher, Least Flycatcher, Northern Shrike, Philadelphia Vireo, Yellow-throated Vireo, Blue-headed Vireo, American Pipit, Tennessee Warbler, Golden-winged Warbler, Virginia's Warbler (EVERYONE on my AZ trip got it except me), Lucy's Warbler (SAME), Nashville Warbler, Cerulean Warbler, Blackburnian Warbler, Pine Warbler, Bay-breasted Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Worm-eating Warbler, Ovenbird, Louisiana Waterthrush, Kentucky Warbler, Mourning Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Canada Warbler, Hooded Warbler, Dickcissel, Vesper Sparrow, Lapland Longspur, Bobolink, Orchard Oriole, Evening Grosbeak, Pine Grosbeak, Common Redpoll, Pine Siskin

I have a total of six birds left in my local patch (50 mile radius surrounding North Bay) that are listed as common. Four of them are warblers, the other two are Sedge Wren and Brewer's Blackbird. So I guess the most embarrassing is the Brewer's Blackbird, although it is only common (and occurs) in the far west side of my local patch.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back