• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My first Serotine!! (1 Viewer)

MrBruce

Just been for a walk to determine a route for a bat survey.

Saw and heard my first serotine bats :) as well as common pipistrelle. went just before dusk so I could see the path a bit better.

When I do the survey I will start 20 minutes after sunset and I hope to record 4 species (soprano pip, common pip, noctule and serotine). There is a small body of water so I am also hoping for daubentons but I know its a slim chance.

Was a really good sighting of the serotines, flew round n wide circles for a minute or so before flying off into the distance.

Just thought I would share that with you.

Matt

Just been for a walk to determine a route for a bat survey.

Saw and heard my first serotine bats :) as well as common pipistrelle. went just before dusk so I could see the path a bit better.

When I do the survey I will start 20 minutes after sunset and I hope to record 4 species (soprano pip, common pip, noctule and serotine). There is a small body of water so I am also hoping for daubentons but I know its a slim chance.

Was a really good sighting of the serotines, flew round n wide circles for a minute or so before flying off into the distance.

Just thought I would share that with you.

Matt

Great stuff Matt. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Nice one!

I have grown to think Serotines are our most charismatic UK Bat. Sure Greater Horseshoes are impressive, but they never seem to hang around and perform as well as Serortines hunting. Lucky to have a few hotspots for Serotines down my way, but I never see them in very big numbers.

Good luck with your survey.. Any Natterer's in the survey area? They tend to be fairly regular near water. Could be a 5th species ;)

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back