• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Moth Trap (1 Viewer)

I've not used a Skinner but from all I've heard you get a better 'retention rate' with a Robinson. I use a 125 Robinson and I'm very happy with it. though interestingly I don't get some of the species I used to get with my old 80W trap. (Far greater numbers though.) I don't think there's any significant difference in how you use them. I'm sure that either would give you a good selection of moths.
If you are a complete beginner - and I've no way of knowing - there may be something to be said for the Skinner. Trying to sort through a large catch can be enough to drive you to the brink.
good luck
Ken

The Robinson is by far the most efficient of the two in my opinion, it retains insects better, it also copes with rainfall better, it may be larger but it will still go in the boot of most cars unless you drive one of those tin boxes called a smart car. I've had a Robinson or a home made variant of it for well over 50 years. Several friends started out with a Skinner because they were cheaper, but they all have Robinsons now. That puts it into perspective I think.

Harry

Thanks for all the comments, really appreciated. Reading through the previous threads, it does seem that the Robinson is just that bit better.

Does anyone have experience with the economy Robinson from Angleps? Does the opaque covering affect the retention rate or is it just "optics"?

Edit: Forgot to add that I have been trapping for two years now, but I don't really mind big numbers of moths in the trap ;)

I have used both Robinson style traps and for the the Angleps trap was better in every way, more robust, more weather proof and a darn sight cheaper, I have long given up mothing but if I were to buy another trap, I would be going for the that one, very impressive trap :)

I had hundreds off SilverY and Large Yellow Underwing in mine and it worked a treat!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back