• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Green Woodpecker info (1 Viewer)

Mustang Birder

Jersey
Hi Guys
I hoping someone can help me,
I will be visiting the area in a couple of weeks and was wondering if there is any reliable sites for Green Woodpecker?
I have never managed to see one so far so any help would be much appreciated.
Also if there is any good sites for Tawny Owl as well.
I will be staying in Blaydon so anywhere with a couple of hours drive would be nice :)
Thanks

Hi Guys
I hoping someone can help me,
I will be visiting the area in a couple of weeks and was wondering if there is any reliable sites for Green Woodpecker?
I have never managed to see one so far so any help would be much appreciated.
Also if there is any good sites for Tawny Owl as well.
I will be staying in Blaydon so anywhere with a couple of hours drive would be nice :)
Thanks

I've seen Green Woodpeckers and Tawny Owls at Rowlands Gill on the Derwent Walk, that doesn't mean you can just turn up and see them. Rowlands Gill is a long walk or short drive from Blaydon.

You could turn up and see them or turn up and see neither of the two.

I'm not sure theres such a thing as a reliable site for Green Woodpecker in Durham but from my experience Hawthorn Dene or Hamsterley Forest are about as good a chance as any.
I'm sure theres plenty of good sites for Tawny Owl so perhaps someone with more knowledge of the area can help but Thornley Woods and Far Pasture seem to be decent sites for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back