• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluethroat age-sex-ss0 (1 Viewer)

kuzeycem

Medicinal Birding
Turkey
Hi all,
Photographed this Bluethroat yesterday in Trabzon, Turkey. In the field it looked like a nice adult male but now that I could check the photos I can see that there is a hint of malar stripe, some white on lower throat and only a hint of rufous breast band. Some females show blue but the blue in these females are usually concentrated in lower throat while this bird has blue upper throat. Maybe its a 2cy male?
Also, would it be possible to ID it down to ssp level? It lacks any hint of rufous throat spot so probably not svecica, volgae, pallidogularis etc. Could it be a cyanecule or perhaps even a magna?
Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• ls-pp2.jpg
    ls-pp2.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I think all you can safely say is that your bird is a male due to the extent of solid blue chin/throat. Regarding age, the coverts that are visible all look adult-type to me and there are no signs of moult limit so I don't think you can age it with any degree of certainty.

And IMO a bird in this plumage cannot be safely assigned to race.

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back