• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falconry (1 Viewer)

PeterK

Hi All
I have spent an agonising few minutes deciding if I should post this here or not, worrying if it might upset some of you, but decided to "post and be damned"
I attended a short introductory course on Falconry last weekend, I am not sure how I feel about this but it was interesting to see and handle the Raptors.
We flew a Harrier, large and quite scarry to handle, landed with a thump and clouted me around the head with its wings, impressive beak and cold cold eyes a true killer.
Next up was a Kestral so light, 6 ounces, hardly felt it on my wrist, it ate so delicately, holding its food in one claw and gently shredding it, this was followed by a Little Owl, who I felt would have been better off in the wild, but it was found and nursed back to health and now could not surveve in the wld. Again it was so light and delicate, I was so happy to have the priviledge of being so close to this superb bird, hardly ever seen one before let alone handled one.
It was an interesting morning, I learned more about birds of prey and their life styles, plus the close contact with these lovely creatures, dont know how I feel about Falconry but thought it might interest you all.
Yours PeterK

Wow. I was just thinking about the same thing. I am debating about whether to take up Falconry or not. I have read about the history of Falconry and its seems like a pretty interesting hobby. A guy on my road keeps hawks and uses them to keep down pests near Dublin Airport. I would like further info on Falconry in Ireland but I am a bit hesitant to knock to a stranger...
I dont know how I actually feel about it either, whether it's "cruel" or not...

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back