• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squeaking and Spishing (1 Viewer)

arco13

Anyone know the right way to do this? I have tried a bunch of times. I have been told by books and other sources that this is a sure fire way of bringing birds out in the open. I never really get any results. :-C I would love to know the finer points of this technique. Do you have to make the noises loud or soft? Should it be really high pitched or not? I want to master this. Every time I do this I feel kind of stupid, especially when no birds come to investigate. I was wondering if anyone has some good tips. Also wondering what birds it works the best on and if a lot of you birders do this. Thanks. B :)

This is a tough one to explain. The right way is any way that works! Some have luck making a loud kissing sound through two fingers held to the lips or on the back of the hand, others just a repetitive pish with a "P" like you're telling someone to be quiet in a movie theater (i.e. shhh!). Or try this slowed down to a more deliberate pish like the scolding of a wren. Either with or without your voice as a hum (usually not). Another very successful trick (works in the west) is to imitate by whistling a small owl call like a Pygmy or Screech-Owl. You might try this with Screech-Owl and Saw-whet Owl calls in CT. This drives small birds bonkers sometimes and they will come in from places you didn't know they were.

Found this- Eastern Screech-Owl calls. A song, B song links:
http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus=Megascops&species=asio

Saw-whet Owl:
http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus=Aegolius&species=acadicus

Also read:
http://home.pacifier.com/~mpatters/bird/pishing/pishing.html

Last edited:
I think you will find certain species more likely to respond than others. My pish intends to sound something akin to the scold of a Titmouse and I make the noise slower/faster or louder/softer depending on the situation and to offer variation. It tends to be helpful with relatively few birds - rule out flycatchers for a start. As JC says an owl imitation can be very effective - my friend has a Barred Owl impression that will have birds coming from miles around to check things out. I do get the impression chasing birds that individuals quickly become pished out so don't overuse it.

Luke

Hiya!
The BBC are currently running a short series on radio4 about identifying birds in our gardens. They recommended 'pishing' to attract Long Tailed Tits. I tried it, along with some freinds, but it didn't seem to work. Perhaps because we were trying too hard or were a little 'stagefrightened'? I shall be on my own tomorrow at WWT London so will try it again. I will let you know how i get on!

Last edited:
Anyone know the right way to do this? :

I find the following in combination works:
(i) loud pshhh pshhhh pshhh noises
(ii) very high pitched tsssssss tssssss tsssss noises (Regulus pitch)
(iii) very high pitched back-of-hand kissing (generally your own)

Other key things:
(i) a bit of cover helps
(ii) put a lot of energy into it

Works in most places around the world although sometimes nothing happens! I've had everything from raptors (accipiters are good), Strix owls (great greys!) to hummers come in. "Seed" species such as tits, american wood warblers are good as they then call and you get a "secondary effect" with other stuff coming in. Sometimes it works better than a tape.

Good luck!

Hiya!
The BBC are currently running a short series on radio4 about identifying birds in our gardens. They recommended 'pishing' to attract Long Tailed Tits. I tried it, along with some freinds, but it didn't seem to work. Perhaps because we were trying too hard or were a little 'stagefrightened'? I shall be on my own tomorrow at WWT London so will try it again. I will let you know how i get on!

Couldn't get there today but will try tomorrow.

By the way, you can listen to the programmes Here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/science/gardenbirds.shtml

Recommended for 'newbies' like me!

Last edited:
Hiya!

I have had a reasonable degree of success with this. I find that it helps to start the 'pish' of quietly and get louder, and also do it fairly rapidly. I have managed to get Pipits in particular quite close to me.
The 'ticking' call of a Blackcap is a good one to learn as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back