Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

GPO Passion ED - same specs as Hawke Frontier ED X ?

Old Tuesday 4th June 2019, 17:25   #1
bins987

GPO Passion ED - same specs as Hawke Frontier ED X ?

Hi everyone, I'm in the market for a $500 8x42 binocular and reading this forum has been really useful so far :)

When I was reading specs on the following - Nikon M7, GPO Passion ED, Hawke Frontier ED X, Athlon Midas - I found a surprising similarity in the specs expect for the Nikon.

For eg, the GPO and Hawke are almost the same in every spec:

https://gpo-usa.com/product/passion-ed-8x42-charcoal-black/

https://us.hawkeoptics.com/frontier-...ular-grey.html

Questions:
1. Reading through previous threads, GPO is mentioned to independently design their bins - why are they so similar to Hawke?
2. These models of GPO or Hawke - are they roughly in same ballpark on optical qualities?
3. Nikon is $100 more expensive - Is it best of the list? (sorry if this question is not appropriate for this sub-forum).
Old Tuesday 4th June 2019, 17:41   #2
jgraider

I noticed the same thing when I was shopping for an inexpensive, high value 8x42, with the GPO, Hawke, and Midas. I doubt there's a nickle's worth of difference between any of them. I wound up with a $218 Athlon Midas and it is a stellar performer.
Old Wednesday 5th June 2019, 01:17   #3
bins987

I see, thank you! I'll make a decision based on look and feel. And price.

Given these are clones, I'm not sure if there is any reason to spend about $150 more on GPO or Hawke compared to Athlon unless I am missing something.
Old Wednesday 19th June 2019, 14:54   #4
chartwell99

Quote:
Originally Posted by bins987 View Post
I see, thank you! I'll make a decision based on look and feel. And price.

Given these are clones, I'm not sure if there is any reason to spend about $150 more on GPO or Hawke compared to Athlon unless I am missing something.
The Athlon I examined had noticeable slop in the focus mechanism with just so-so optics.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: