• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info on reserves near Sutton-on-Sea (1 Viewer)

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Our next caravan trip is to Sutton-on-Sea. Not an area I know. I can see a few LWT reserves close by, which I will explore as I am a WWT member!

Anyone know of any others worth visiting - I am prepared to drive an hour or so!

I am not seeking any particular bird or habitat, just good birding.

Thanks Julie

Hi Julie,
Gibraltar Point, Snipe Dales, Freiston Marsh and Frampton (RSPB and LWT) spring to mind. I think all could be worth a visit. Good luck.

A bit more. I like all of those I mentioned but if I had to choose only one it would be RSPB Frampton Marsh (no, I'm not plugging the RSPB!). Well run by good staff and very good coffee but the reserve is easy to walk around and you get very good views of the birds. It's often producing surprises like the recent dowitcher and pratincole but apart from rarities it's very good for birds of all sorts. I'll be surprised if you are disappointed.

If you fancy something a bit more bracing (than Skegness) and a chance of finding your own or observing any passage pelagic stuff then have a good bimble along Saltfleetby NNR and maybe a drive up to Donna Nook - wilder habitat and a bit edgy imo:t:

Laurie -

Hi Went to Frampton Marshes today - cannot thank you enough for the suggestion!

Not only did I see a dozen spoonbills and the black necked grebe..... But there was also a buff-breasted sandpiper and a long-billed dowitcher and thanks to a local and the RSPB guy in the visitors' centre, I saw them both!

What a day.

Pleased it went well for you, we've not been disappointed, and I agree with Laurie about going north. I've seen Saltfleetby in winter and it was very good so you should be OK there too.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back