• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I want to buy a spotting scope for target shooting (1 Viewer)

PaulRiven

I want to buy a spotting scope for target shooting. I would like info and thoughts on three scopes that I am considering. First is Yukon 6-100x100 http://www.swisslink.com/products/optics/6100x100ae_kit_spotting_scope-15-1571/
Second is Firefall 15-45x60SE Spotting Scope http://www.swisslink.com/products/optics/1545x60se_kit_spotting_scope-15-1570/ and third Firefall 20x50 Spotting Scope http://www.swisslink.com/products/optics/20x50_spotting_scope-15-1568/
I need opinions because I don't live where I can handle and compare scopes so suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
PR

Er, this is Bird Forum. This thread has got something to do with birds?

He's asking about spotting scopes (and this is what this part of the forum is about) not telescopic sights.
Hunters often post on the binocular and scope forums and I can fully appreciate reservations about that but the OP's only shooting at sheets of paper!

John

I don't see your point. Why should he be looking at birds if he wants a scope for target shooting?

No reason why he should be looking at birds if he wants a scope for target shooting, but if a post is about shooting and has zero to do with birds, why should he not simply put the request on one of the many shooting forums?

but if a post is about shooting and has zero to do with birds, why should he not simply put the request on one of the many shooting forums?

JOS YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD.....

....... he is asking the wrong people on here, all the info he needs will have been asked for and given countless times on the correct forum by fellow shooters.

I want to buy a spotting scope for target shooting. I would like info and thoughts on three scopes that I am considering. First is Yukon 6-100x100 http://www.swisslink.com/products/optics/6100x100ae_kit_spotting_scope-15-1571/
Second is Firefall 15-45x60SE Spotting Scope http://www.swisslink.com/products/optics/1545x60se_kit_spotting_scope-15-1570/ and third Firefall 20x50 Spotting Scope http://www.swisslink.com/products/optics/20x50_spotting_scope-15-1568/
I need opinions because I don't live where I can handle and compare scopes so suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
PR

PR

This is your first post on this forum.... quote "Ive been looking at several forums and this one seem to be the right one.
Hope to share and received tips with ya soon.

PR"
unquote

Considering you have looked at several forums before joining this one, why has your first bonefide post got nothing to do with birds and solely to do with shooting?

appologies if your genuine, but it does seem strange dont you agree

Dave

No talk about birds either, just a question relating to his hobby of shooting.

As you quote BirdForum policy, maybe you did not notice the very first line on what you quoted "BirdForum is about the enjoyment and appreciation of WILD birds and other WILDLIFE." Er, not about the enjoyment of shooting - I am sure there are many excellent forums for discussion of that hobby.

I think a couple of posters are getting very pedantic here. Perhaps they are unaware that we birders have target shooters to thank for the development of (spotting) scopes. The original requirement of observing detail at long ranges has given our hobby a great bonus.

Birders, in turn with their requirements for colour fidelity and control of CA, have also driven development and probably now make up the majority of the market but I think we can all profit from cross-fertilization.

Recently Kevin Purcell posted a link to a hunting forum and pointed out the pitiful lack of knowledge of some of the posters there on matters optical. The OP came to Bird Forum probably because he recognized that there is more expertise here than on shooting specific forums and it would be good if someone gave him some advice instead of emulating the March Hare and Mad Hatter with cries of "No room."

I suspect that the birding interests of contributors like Henry Link and Surveyor are secondary to their interest in optics but I am happy we have them here and many of us have profited from their depth of knowledge.

John

What a joke, its just a perfctly reasonable question about optics so where better to ask it than a birding forum where just about everybody owns and knows about a wide range of opitcs?
How many thousands of threads must there be on this forum that dont have anything to do with birds so whats the need to kick up a fuss about this one?

Well no surprise that the forum's resident shooter jumps in to defend the gun side of things again.

This poster posted nothing about birds, if he wants info on shooting, then go to a shooting forum.

Well no surprise that the forum's resident shooter jumps in to defend the gun side of things again.

This poster posted nothing about birds, if he wants info on shooting, then go to a shooting forum.

Equally no suprise that you saw the word shooting mentioned so kicked up a fuss, he doesnt want info on shooting he wants info on optics and i doubt there's a better place to ask for that than here. I think its a compliment that people realise that this place has the best knowledge and info.

On a side note i've noticed i'm often reffered to as the forums resident shooter but i think many people would be very suprised by just how many of us there are,dont for one minuet think i'm even close to being alone.

If he want's a spotting scope he will be using it to check the target to see how well he has done. Note a target not a bird or animal. I suspect he contacted this forum because there seems to be a lot of knowleable people who have a lot of experience with spotting scopes.

I'll bet he is wondering why he bothered.

Get off your high horses Jos, Cates and Bananafishbones, or are you all active vegan conservationists, who renounce motorized travel?
There are several sub-forums and thousands of posts here on BF not directly related to birding, and the OP is a harmless target shooter, who just wants a bit of advice.
What we should be getting worked up about are acts like the shooting of a Great Bustard here in Germany recently, and the massive slaughter of migrating birds and use of lime sticks and traps in several Mediterranean countries.

John

Last edited:
John,

the original post is entirely counter to what Birdforum's about: it's Birdforum, not Shootingforum - the clue is in the name.

There's nothing pedantic about that.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back