• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Brunton aluminum & carbon closeout (1 Viewer)

Frank ... Thanks for posting the photos. The Manfrotto plate you are using appears to be the same as mine. That brings up the question of why the plate is loose on your carbon fiber tripod and it is tight on my carbon fiber tripod.

It may be that you mounted it 180 degrees in the opposite direction than I did. I noticed if in one direction, it is loose but if rotated 180 degrees, then it is a tight fit and does not slide.

Take a look at the attached photos and give it a try each way.

Henry:
Carbon Fiber Tripod
- Head Unit with supplied plate is 1 lb, 3.6 oz
- Base (legs) without head unit is 3lb, 15.0 oz
- Total weight is 5 lb, 2.6 oz

Attachments

• A-IMG_2118.jpg
    A-IMG_2118.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 151
  • B-IMG_2119.jpg
    B-IMG_2119.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 148
  • C-IMG_2120.jpg
    C-IMG_2120.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Bruce,

Thanks for the tip but I did try it both ways. I found that out when trying it on the aluminum model.

....and thanks for posting the weight for Henry. I was just about to go weigh it.

Bruce,

Thanks for the tip but I did try it both ways. I found that out when trying it on the aluminum model.

Frank .... Just to make sure I understand, even when you install your Manfrotto plate in your carbon fiber tripod as shown in picture number 1 (labeled Tight Fit), the plate still slides back and forward. Is that correct?

If that is the case, do you have any ideas what is different between your setup and mine? As I mentioned, mine does not slide at all when installed as shown in photo number 1.

Herny and Steve ... You're welcome.

FOLLOW-UP COMMENT

After posting the above, I spent some more time experimenting with the Manfrotto plate and then I noticed it was sliding back and forward. I noticed the lever puts more tension on the plate if it is not pushed those last few degrees to the closed position. I suspect in my earlier test, the lever still had several degrees to go compared to the follow-up testing when the lever was pushed all the way in.

Last edited:
Once I saw the maximum height I pulled the trigger. I already have a (very heavy) Vanguard tripod I'm happy with and this one isn't extremely light for CF, but it looks fairly heavy duty, which makes me happy. I'll probably ignore the head for now and use my Vanguard head. I was worried about fitting my Vanguard in my checked bag for an upcoming birding trip anyway.

Thanks everyone for the photos and opinions.

Bruce:

Here are a couple of pics showing the Brunton plate on the left and the Manfrotto on the right.

Note the box on the left side of the Brunton, that fits over the fixed peg on the base plate.

The Manfrotto plate fits well, but lacks that plate to hold it from sliding back and forth.

I hope that clarifies how they differ.

Jerry

Attachments

• DSCN0962_1.JPG
    DSCN0962_1.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCN0965.JPG
    DSCN0965.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 114
I think someone mentioned it earlier but did anyone try tightening the screw that holds the spring-loaded lever in place?

My plate had some wiggle in it so I tightened the screw and now it holds the plate very tightly. I haven't tried putting the Manfrotto plate on since tightening the screw but I wonder if it has an effect on how tightly it will stay in place. It might explain why the plate wouldn't hold on the carbon model but would on the aluminum model.

Bruce:

Here are a couple of pics showing the Brunton plate on the left and the Manfrotto on the right.

Note the box on the left side of the Brunton, that fits over the fixed peg on the base plate.

The Manfrotto plate fits well, but lacks that plate to hold it from sliding back and forth.

I hope that clarifies how they differ.

Jerry

Jerry,

I have several different tripod and head combinations.

The Brunton plate you show is identical to Promaster and other generic models.

They will fit on Bogen Manfrotto heads just don't work as well.

Bryce...

Great information Bryce!

I did some searching and found the following eBay listing with some good photos. However I think the seller has the wrong head number of #6881. It appears the correct Promaster number is for head #5924. The listing also has dimensions that look to be correct.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Promaster-Q...703448?hash=item3cd2ebc0d8:g:zf0AAOxycSdRyxiS

Here is the Promaster website page for #5924. That looks to be the plate shown in the above listing.

http://promaster.com/spec-sheet.htm...Accessories&catalog[product_guids][0]=1095078

Here is the Promaster page for #6881. It is a completely diferent plate than what came with the Brunton carbon fiber tripod.

http://promaster.com/spec-sheet.htm...Accessories&catalog[product_guids][0]=1095057

Here is a link to eBay vendors selling the #5924 ......

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ster+#5924.TRS0&_nkw=Promaster+#5924&_sacat=0

I ordered several from this vendor (#5924). I will post on how they fit after receiving them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Promaster-Q...155217?hash=item5667c50f51:g:f70AAOSwGvhT0YYj

For Amazon shoppers, here is the web page but the price is higher ......

http://www.amazon.com/Promaster-Qui...id=1452582629&sr=8-1&keywords=Promaster+#5924

Jerry,

I have several different tripod and head combinations.

The Brunton plate you show is identical to Promaster and other generic models.

They will fit on Bogen Manfrotto heads just don't work as well.

Bryce...

Bryce and others:

As mentioned above the Manfrotto plate will fit into the Brunton
head, but will slide over an inch. It will not fall off, but would not
work well for a scope. Franks mention of tightening that screw on
the lock does help, but it may loosen.

The Brunton plates fit well into the Manfrotto head, as they are retained
on 3 sides and also by the lock.

I feel the Brunton carbon fiber tripod is an excellent buy, and I am
glad I also purchased one.

Jerry

Hi all,
I am new and I'm the OP what ever that means. Thanks Bruce for that tip, worked better but it
still moves some, will have to try what Frank said to do. Brunton will send plates out for free.
I was thinking of buying one more tripod to take apart and making it shorter/lighter for sitting on the ground to
glass, I'm new to this, I volunteer at the condor conservation here in town, I have two Brunton
spotting scope and two of there binoculars, has anyone taken apart there tripod to see if
you can cut in down to make it shorter and lighter thanks for all the info. Earl

The Brunton plates fit well into the Manfrotto head, as they are retained on 3 sides and also by the lock.
Be careful here - there are a number of different and incompatible Manfrotto adapter and plate styles (eg. RC0, RC2, RC4, Q2, Q5, Q6) . My Manfrotto 200PL-14 plates for RC2-style adapters almost-but-not-quite fit the Brunton adapter, while the 5924-style Brunton plates will not fit my Manfrotto RC2 heads/adapters. This may vary with different Manfrotto head/adapter systems.

I feel the Brunton carbon fiber tripod is an excellent buy, and I am glad I also purchased one.
I quite agree.

...Mike

Hi all,
I am new and I'm the OP what ever that means. Thanks Bruce for that tip, worked better but it
still moves some, will have to try what Frank said to do. Brunton will send plates out for free.
I was thinking of buying one more tripod to take apart and making it shorter/lighter for sitting on the ground to
glass, I'm new to this, I volunteer at the condor conservation here in town, I have two Brunton
spotting scope and two of there binoculars, has anyone taken apart there tripod to see if
you can cut in down to make it shorter and lighter thanks for all the info. Earl

You were original person that started this thread.

Yes OP means original poster.

It seems that everyone purchased the carbon model. Did anyone besides me buy the aluminum?

Yes OP means original poster.

It seems that everyone purchased the carbon model. Did anyone besides me buy the aluminum?
Frank,

I have one of each, intended for different purposes. I'm thinking of buying a 3rd, probably a carbon fibre one rather than aluminium though I haven't yet decided if, let alone which.

...Mike

I was thing of buying one to take apart to see if you can
make a short/lite weight for backpacking to sit down on the
ground and glass with spotting scope or binoculars
what do you think is this possible to do thanks.

I bought two...carbon.

For the money it seems a steal. Anxiously awaiting...we'll see how it compares with my carbon Manfrotto.
I wasn't expecting much of a comparison, but after some of these comments, we shall see.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back