• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8.5 X42 (1 Viewer)

Phil
How do these normal strap lugs attach to the Field-Pro 'knobs' on the sides of the binos?

Lee

Hi Lee,

Just push and turn in one motion. Locks in somewhat similar to a camera lens bayonet mount, but you do have to apply a bit of pressure while turning. Very easy to use, but also seems to be a very sturdy connection.

Is this model available with regular strap attachments, I am not a fan of the field pro.

Only on the 2nd hand market, or less likely as new old stock.
But as mentioned above you can attach the strap loop connector to the field pro model and you're good to go.

How would a 2000 model compare with the new 2017 version, would it still be a bright glass.

A.W.

Swarovski EL 8,5x42 (oud)
130 m (a) 82% (b) 85%
Goed 18 mm (a) Ja (b) Nee
Gering
Swarovski 8,5x42 Swarovision EL
133 m (a) 89% (b) 90%
Perfect 20 mm (a) Ja (b) Nee
Nee

Above copied from 2011 House of Outdoors, transmission figures in %ages.

87,8% 89,2% - these figures from March? 2017.

So no real difference - it will still be a bright glass.

How would a 2000 model compare with the new 2017 version, would it still be a bright glass.

A.W.

Andy:

I have experience with several 8.5x42 EL's, first the 2001, and the last of the orig. EL's a 2009 model, and since then 2 different 2010 SV versions.

The original EL was very good, and still is. Swarovski advertised it as the
"universal distance viewer", and that means during daylight or dusk, it really
performed at a high level. I find it has an "open picture window view", and
that is another term you may find when you do a review search.

Swarovski updates coatings all of the time, and so they did with the updates
of the original EL. 2004 brought out a faster focus speed, 2005 added Swaroclean coatings, and the 2009 was the last of the original model.
This one was clearly updated with better coatings as in brighter and better.

The EL Swarovision started in 2010, another step up, better handling with
slimmer barrels, the great flat field view to the edges, and it is brighter
and better yet.

So take your pick, the 2017 may have some small changes in coatings
but not much.

Jerry

Swaro

Swarovski EL 8,5x42 (oud)
130 m (a) 82% (b) 85%
Goed 18 mm (a) Ja (b) Nee
Gering
Swarovski 8,5x42 Swarovision EL
133 m (a) 89% (b) 90%
Perfect 20 mm (a) Ja (b) Nee
Nee

Above copied from 2011 House of Outdoors, transmission figures in %ages.

87,8% 89,2% - these figures from March? 2017.

So no real difference - it will still be a bright glass.

Dipped,

Thanks for the reference/specs.

A.W.

8.5x42 - 2000 vs. 2017 version?

Very favorably, in my opinion. I'm not a big flat-field fan, and I sold my 2015 SV 8.5 and kept my 2003 EL because I prefer the view through the earlier model. I accept that the EL's image is not as "perfect" as the SV's, but for me it's an easier, more comfortable view. My 2003 was rebuilt by Swarovski, and it has a smooth focus action and current objective-lens coatings.

A.W.

I owned a 1999 8.5x42 for about six years. I would not recommend any early production EL, unless the price is very low, and not even then if it retains the original excruciatingly slow focuser. I was never happy with the brightness, contrast and color accuracy of the early ELs.

The focuser was replaced about 2003 and by 2006 new production had substantially better contrast and color accuracy from improved coatings. Minor improvements in the coatings continued till the end of production.

Andy:

I have experience with several 8.5x42 EL's, first the 2001, and the last of the orig. EL's a 2009 model, and since then 2 different 2010 SV versions.

The original EL was very good, and still is. Swarovski advertised it as the
"universal distance viewer", and that means during daylight or dusk, it really
performed at a high level. I find it has an "open picture window view", and
that is another term you may find when you do a review search.

Swarovski updates coatings all of the time, and so they did with the updates
of the original EL. 2004 brought out a faster focus speed, 2005 added Swaroclean coatings, and the 2009 was the last of the original model.
This one was clearly updated with better coatings as in brighter and better.

The EL Swarovision started in 2010, another step up, better handling with
slimmer barrels, the great flat field view to the edges, and it is brighter
and better yet.

So take your pick, the 2017 may have some small changes in coatings
but not much.

Jerry

Thanks for this round-up Jerry.

Lee

I owned a 1999 8.5x42 for about six years. I would not recommend any early production EL, unless the price is very low, and not even then if it retains the original excruciatingly slow focuser. I was never happy with the brightness, contrast and color accuracy of the early ELs.

The focuser was replaced about 2003 and by 2006 new production had substantially better contrast and color accuracy from improved coatings. Minor improvements in the coatings continued till the end of production.

Agreed, though once it is focused, I do still enjoy the view through my 8.5x42 EL from ~2000. I don't find the brightness or contrast lacking, but the color accuracy is off in a peculiar way (suppresses rusty reds without making the view seem blue or green overall).

My Swarovision EL unit, with traditional strap lugs but produced just before the switch to FP, is an entirely different instrument. It is far superior optically and as a birding tool.

--AP

Thank you for the background info all of you.
I was looking at a 2000 but at too high of a price. I am sure it is a good glass even from 2000, I take it that the view is flat in the new model, similar to the EDG and perhaps the 2000 model is slightly less so with improved color rendition in the new EL. As Henry also stated the long focus travel was improved later, likely made with shorter travel.

A.W.

Is this model available with regular strap attachments, I am not a fan of the field pro.

A.W.

I will say this....I wasn't either when I first got a FP model....it really did grow on me though. It's really pretty versatile....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back