• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x42 vs.10x42 (1 Viewer)

Orvany24

Hi all. Just received my Vortex VIPER 10x42 which I ordered after a few years of using the same brand's 8x42.

To my disappointment, I don't see any difference between the two sets of binoculars as far as magnification goes. I kept looking at different objects while alternating binoculars, and the viewed image remains the same. Shouldn't there be a noticeable difference? I sure expected a 25% increase in magnitude to be bluntly noticeable..

to sum up, I'm quite confused by this. The new bins look authentic of good quality so I don't think there's any foul play here.

Thanks in advance for any opinion\info\advice on this matter.

Try checking the size of the exit pupil of each. The X8 ( 5.25mm ) should be larger than the x10 ( 4.25mm). Hold the binoculars about 15 CMS away from your stronger eye to do this. At least you will have an idea if the magnification are different. It is a start.

Try checking the size of the exit pupil of each. The X8 ( 5.25mm ) should be larger than the x10 ( 4.25mm). Hold the binoculars about 15 CMS away from your stronger eye to do this. At least you will have an idea if the magnification are different. It is a start.

Thanks. There does seem to be a difference in exit pupil size, and when I look thru the bins wrong-side-up the object does seem sightly smaller on the 10x.
Still, I expected a major difference in magnification when I opted to upgrade. Guess my expectations were too much.

Looks like you got a mislabeled 10X42, the difference should be obvious. I have run under this same scenario with mislabeled magnification with mid-range and entry level-econo glass, although not with Vortex.

Andy W.

Check your field of view as well. The 10x should have a narrower field. If the FOV is the same as the 8x, you definitely have a mislabelled binocular. Thats an odd one.

Hi all. Just received my Vortex VIPER 10x42 which I ordered after a few years of using the same brand's 8x42.

To my disappointment, I don't see any difference between the two sets of binoculars as far as magnification goes. I kept looking at different objects while alternating binoculars, and the viewed image remains the same. Shouldn't there be a noticeable difference? I sure expected a 25% increase in magnitude to be bluntly noticeable..

to sum up, I'm quite confused by this. The new bins look authentic of good quality so I don't think there's any foul play here.

Thanks in advance for any opinion\info\advice on this matter.
You may be fooled by the different AFOV.
I'd look at a label with small print at the distance where it becomes illegible in the 8X42. If you can see it in the 10X42 you'll know there's a difference in magnification unless, of course, there's a big difference in overall quality between the two samples.

Last edited:
Put the two binoculars side-by-side on a porch railing and point the right barrel of the left pair at the same distinct object as the left barrel of the right pair. Look at the adjacent images at the same time from a few inches back and it should be apparent if there is a significant difference in magnification.

Hi Orvany,

Looking at the two pointer stars in Ursa Major, alpha and beta, one should notice an obvious difference.

These stars are 5 degrees 22 minutes apart.

Regards,
B.

Thanks to all for your helpful replies.

I took a cell phone photo of the same object from the same spot and to my surprise there does seem to be a major difference between the to bins.
It's just that I cannot tell that difference while looking at it through the binoculars (how weird is this?).

Anyway, I guess the fault is in my eye-sight and not with Vortex. I don't wanna give this brand a bad rap undeservedly.

I'm attaching the photos - the difference seems about right for 8X vs. 10x, doesn't it?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• Vrtx.jpg
    Vrtx.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 126
Orvany24, you are not alone. I've been a long time 8x user, and when I got into 10x I had exactly the same experience you just had. I opened a thread about how much of 10x over 8x is actually psychological. You can read all the comments and contributions here.
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3808278

Doing a side by side, like you did, I couldn't see a terrible difference between 8x and 10x (actually, by some psychological trick, sometimes I can tell a bigger difference between a roof and a porro, both 8x, than between 8x and 10x, both roof). I ended up selling my 10x and getting a 12x. There I can see a bigger difference indeed. However, I usually carry an 8x and a scope, so the 12x sees little use. So it's 8x all the way for me, I just don't see the point of 10x (always speaking of my personal experience; of course everyone is a universe in his/her own). Every now and then I feel tempted to get another 10x, but then I remember my experiences (and read yours), and the temptation goes away (well, a 10x50 for astronomy is always on the agenda ;-)).
So don't feel there's anything wrong with your eyesight :) Use them, enjoy them and if it just isn't your cup of tea, well... Let them go.

Orvany24, you are not alone. I've been a long time 8x user, and when I got into 10x I had exactly the same experience you just had. I opened a thread about how much of 10x over 8x is actually psychological. You can read all the comments and contributions here.

Doing a side by side, like you did, I couldn't see a terrible difference between 8x and 10x (actually, by some psychological trick, sometimes I can tell a bigger difference between a roof and a porro, both 8x, than between 8x and 10x, both roof). I ended up selling my 10x and getting a 12x. There I can see a bigger difference indeed. However, I usually carry an 8x and a scope, so the 12x sees little use. So it's 8x all the way for me, I just don't see the point of 10x (always speaking of my personal experience; of course everyone is a universe in his/her own). Every now and then I feel tempted to get another 10x, but then I remember my experiences (and read yours), and the temptation goes away (well, a 10x50 for astronomy is always on the agenda ;-)).
So don't feel there's anything wrong with your eyesight :) Use them, enjoy them and if it just isn't your cup of tea, well... Let them go.

Thanks a lot, yarrellii. I was not aware of this perception phenomenon when I decided to purchase 10x. I just did some simple math of 8 vs. 10, and came up with a 25% increase in magnification, which sounded like quite a bit to me.
Anyway, I cannot say I regret my choice of of upgrading to 10x, especially since there's not much extra weight in them (just 0.4 oz more, according to the Vortex site). Looking forward to using them in the field, and time will tell if my next bins will be 10x again or back to 8x.

Post 11.

2 measures.
I get 27.5% increase with 10x over 8x.
and 25% with expanded images.
But household rulers are not very accurate.

So a good result.

However, nearer objects such as the globe may give slightly different measures to distant objects.

Judging by eyes alone I thought that the bigger image was 30% bigger linearly, so my perception is off a bit.

What I cannot judge by eye alone is AFOVs. I find this difficult to get right with no reference.

B.

Orvany24, you are not alone.
I've been a long time 8x user, and when I got into 10x I had exactly the same experience you just had. I opened a thread about how much of 10x over 8x is actually psychological. You can read all the comments and contributions here.

same think happened to me going from 8x32 to a 10x32
There is a little difference but not near as much as I expected.

edj

This is one of the reasons I always choose 8x bins. Small sacrifice in magnification allows for big gains in FOV and DOF (and sometimes eye-relief).

--AP

This is one of the reasons I always choose 8x bins. Small sacrifice in magnification allows for big gains in FOV and DOF (and sometimes eye-relief).

--AP

My main problem with 10x vs 8x is that I find the 10x much more difficult to hold steady. But then, I just turned 77.

My main problem with 10x vs 8x is that I find the 10x much more difficult to hold steady. But then, I just turned 77.

I agree and I am only about half your age. I would gladly sacrifice the greater FOV and DOF for more magnification, but the shaking ruins the experience for me once I get up to 10x.

I lightly press my hands holding the binoculars against the underside of the brim of my hat while viewing. I find it helps keep the small motions to a minimum. I do enjoy the 10x view, as long as I can damp them a bit in that fashion.

-Bill

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back