• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blue Grosbeak ??? in Tucson (1 Viewer)

PumaMan

United States
I glanced out the window today and I think I saw a Blue Grosbeak. It looked almost black -- in fact I went searching for a black bird in my books and online. Can they be so dark blue that they appear black? It had very dark red lines out toward the end of its wings. (No -- not a Red-Winged Blackbird).

Sorry, no picture. I know that makes this almost impossible but I was just curious if any other Tucsonan (or southern AZ resident) has ever seen a Blue Grosbeak?

They actually do not have blue pigment in their feathers – the blue color results from the way the feathers reflect the light. That is why they can look black in the shade.

Fairly regular in your area in spring and summer if you check eBird.

Last edited:
I'm not a serious birder. The only list I keep is this "yard" list of birds that I've seen on (or above) my 2-acres of natural Sonoran Desert for the last 19 years. But now I've seen two new birds in the last week: A pair of Eurasian Collared-Doves and this Blue Grosbeak. A minor excitement.

Black-headed Grosbeak (Summer)
Blue Grosbeak (Summer)
Bronzed Cowbird (Summer)
Brown-headed Cowbird (Summer)
Cactus Wren
Canyon Towhee
Cooper's Hawk
Crow/Raven
Curve-billed Thrasher
Desert Cardinal (Pyrrhuloxia)
Desert (Black-throated) Sparrow
Eurasian Collared-Dove (mid-May)
Gambel's Quail
Gila Woodpecker
Greater Roadrunner
Great Horned Owl
Great-tailed Grackle (Summer)
Harris's Hawk
Hooded Oriole (Summer)
House Finch
Lesser Goldfinch
Lesser Nighthawk (Summer)
Mourning Dove
Northern Cardinal
Phainopepla
Red-winged Blackbird (Summer)
Rock Pigeon (Rock Dove)
Starling
Turkey Vulture
Verdin
White-throated Sparrow (Winter)
White-winged Dove (Summer)

(This list does not contain Hummingbirds, which I also feed daily. There are about a dozen all-year residents -- 2-3 different species.)

I've had Blue Grosbeaks in my yard here in the Sierra Vista - Bisbee area for years. Definitely a nice yard bird to have.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back