• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Guyana - recent trip reports or information? (1 Viewer)

lewis20126

Hi folks

Off at Christmas for a standard circuit - there is relatively little information available from recent trips , so wonder if anyone has got any recent tips for the key birds:

eg Red Siskin, Sun Parakeet, White-winged Potoo, Rufous-winged Ground-cukoo, Crimson Fruitcrow or the more obscure, eg Guianan Gnatcatcher, Boat-billed Tody-tyrant and Guianan Piculet.

cheers, alan

I did a tour with Manu Expeditions in 2011. Here's some gen from our trip.

Red Siskin - We did an overnight journey from Lethem to Dadanawa Ranch. The siskins were on a hillside a few km from the ranch.

Sun Parakeet - We spent 4-1/2 hours in a Bedford truck driving from Lethem to Karasabai only to find out that the road to Chimabu Bush (farm) was flooded. We then spent an additional 2 hours in a boat and by pure luck found a few flying over a tiny settlement.

White-winged Potoo - Atta Lodge was the place where we heard them. Two people saw them fly over the lodge clearing (while showering!)

Rufous-winged Ground-cuckoo - We heard one at Surama on the walk to Burro Burro Landing, but couldn't coax it into view.

Crimson Fruitcrow - They hang out around Atta Lodge. We had a couple come in during our mid-day siesta.

Guianan/Arrowhead Piculet - We did not have this on the Guyana tour. I had it at Peperpot Plantation in Paramaribo, Suriname. I read somehwere that they are just about a Surinamese endemic.

No sign of the other two.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back