• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New England Birding (2 Viewers)

JamieoftheNorth

Thought I would start a thread for us New England folks. Anyone seeing signs of spring migration yet? I was at the Rachel Carlson Wildlife Preserve in Kennebunk this afternoon and saw Canadian geese. Have yet to see the red-winged blackbirds or turkey vultures being reported on the bird alerts though.

Spring Migration

JamieoftheNorth said:
Thought I would start a thread for us New England folks. Anyone seeing signs of spring migration yet? I was at the Rachel Carlson Wildlife Preserve in Kennebunk this afternoon and saw Canadian geese. Have yet to see the red-winged blackbirds or turkey vultures being reported on the bird alerts though.

Hi JOTN,
I am from the Mass/RI border just north of Providence. So far, in the North Attleboro/Cumberland area I have seen, and am trying to photograph. . .
Eastern Meadowlark ( trying to clean up pic, not a very good one )
Yellow Billed Cuckoo
Redwinged Blackbird
Bluebirds (have stayed year round.)
Turkey Vulture
Great Blue Heron

I am anticipaitng the Bobolink, and the Belted Kingfisher any time now, and in a few weeks the Indigo Bunting .

I need to figure out how to post photos, I am a real "stiff"" when it comes to computers.

Will look forward to what comes your way in reply.

Good Birding

C

christopherrobin said:
I need to figure out how to post photos,

C

Hi Chris. You can post them as an attachment by clicking on the "manage attachments" button under the "additional options" which is right below the message box when you're typing a new message. It'd be great to see them!

Looking forward to seeing some of the birds you've seen when they finally make it up my way.

JamieoftheNorth said:
Hi Chris. You can post them as an attachment by clicking on the "manage attachments" button under the "additional options" which is right below the message box when you're typing a new message. It'd be great to see them!

Looking forward to seeing some of the birds you've seen when they finally make it up my way.

JOTN,
Here goes...

I don't have pics of the Cuckoo, Bobolink, or any good Bluebirds yet

C

It tells me that the file is too big for the other pics. I have to figure out what to do.

C

Attachments

• KZ10meadowlark.jpg
    KZ10meadowlark.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 231
christopherrobin said:
JOTN,
Here goes...

I don't have pics of the Cuckoo, Bobolink, or any good Bluebirds yet

C

It tells me that the file is too big for the other pics. I have to figure out what to do.

C

Nice pic, Chris! You can use any of the photo-editing software out there to resize. I use Picasa2, which is made by the folks at google. Thanks for sharing the pic and best of luck.

Three song sparrows at the bird feeder this afternoon, along with black-capped chickadees, tufted titmouse, american goldfinchs and darke eyed juncos.

JOTN,
Hi,
We still have the Juncos down here so the "cold" weather is still around. People think I'm "nuts" because I tell them that "spring won't get here until the Juncos leave". But every year I get someone (my wife this year) to finally realize that it's a fact. Warm weather will arrive and stay when the Juncos have flown away.
I just made 2 Blue Bird boxes. I was doing research on how to discourage those damn House Sparrows from brutalizing my Blue Birds. Turns out HS hate small cavities and slots for entry. I must have made 50 nest boxes over the years with the "hole" entry 6 to 7 inches from the floor. So I decided to draft up a design to see if it's true what I had read. Shallow 4 1/2'' and a slot 1 3/8 at the top. HS hate light in there box too !
JOTN, Do you have Blue Birds where you live? I don't have any in my yard, but I travel up to North Attleboro every weekend to my Dad's grave in the cemetery, and I see them there. That's where I put the 2 boxes I made.
We are suppose to get snow tonight( Sat, 24th ) so maybe I'll get some good pics, or at least better than the Meadowlark. I'll post something tomorrow.
See ya

C

Success !!!!!!!!
There was a fight over this box between 2 BlueBirds, and a male House Sparrow. I chased them all away and emptied the box of nesting materials. The Blue Birds returned. Hoopefully the HS won't.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back