• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Camera trap delights (1 Viewer)

So, I got a Bushnell camera trap for my 40th birthday and now I'm thinking of where to put it. The best places are likely to be fairly remote so I will be leaving it for a while. Any ideas what size of memory card I should get? The camera takes up to 16GB SD cards but there is nothing in the instruction book to say how much video/photos that might store. It would be interesting to know how quickly the memory fills up on other people's cameras.

Photos will be something like 4mb each if you have a high megapixel camera.

video 640x480 is about 50mb per min, 320x240 about 8mb per min

I don't think you will run out of memory, the batteries will run flat before then although you can get some external high capacity batteries for some cameras.

Good luck

Mark

I use an 8gb card in mine. A 30 second, 720x480, 8mp video comes out at about 11mb, and 8mp photos are about 4mb.

Set at 8mp the camera is telling me it has enough space for 7359 stills or 3 hours 49 minutes of video, which is ample. As Mark says, it'll run out of juice before space!

OK thanks. I'll maybe just try it with a 2GB card (I'm sure I have one lying around somewhere) rather than over-optimistically buying a 16GB one at the outset!

On the other hand you wouldn't want to go back to the camera to find it ran out of space 3 days ago!

A 2gb card might only give you enough space for an hour of video. When you factor in the wind triggering it, a bird flying straight through, a wildcat settling in front of it for a few hours and twitching a paw every so often, the number of times it's triggered will quickly add up. If I was you and for the minimal difference in price, I'd be over-optimistic!

why are these ones green, whereas the shots before normal? Images from a video?

There is a problem with the camera, which I am trying to sort with the manufacturer at the moment, which I assume happened before the boar photos were taken, but after the others.

Mark

Hopefully things are now fixed, a couple of photos with better placement of the bait. I have some video from the other camera but don't think I can post it here may have to post a link.

Mark

Attachments

• trail1.jpg
    trail1.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 159
  • trail2.jpg
    trail2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 160
Sounds good - will have a look when on something bigger than a phone!

My camera is out tonight for the first time in ages. Loads of activity at the badger sett and fresh bedding, the much loved bracken and some ivy. Fingers crossed I will have some backwards wiggling badger videos tomorrow!

Shame,

I was hoping there was another population getting established inferring from the location in your profile.

Very nice all the same

the ones I know of are the East Sussex/ Kent pop, Devon pop , Dorset, Forest of Dean and also some living wild in SW Scotland.

Wonder how long before they have spread across all the south coast counties ??

Shame,

I was hoping there was another population getting established inferring from the location in your profile.

Very nice all the same

the ones I know of are the East Sussex/ Kent pop, Devon pop , Dorset, Forest of Dean and also some living wild in SW Scotland.

Wonder how long before they have spread across all the south coast counties ??

Probably longer than you think, there is some downward pressure on the population from poaching.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back