• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Arizona ducks in summer (1 Viewer)

I went to the Sweetwater Wetlands after work today, and saw eight ducks which, from their long bills and red legs I identified as Northern Shovellers. As I understand it, these ducks are not typically here in the summer. Also, in the hearby Silverbell Lake, I saw what I think was a Canvasback, in with a mixed flock of ducks - another one which seems out-of-season to me. Do we have populations of ducks which remain resident, or which migrate at odd times of year in SE Arizona?

It may be that I am just a bit ignorant about migration patterns (I have never birded in a place this far south before...). If you can help explain this, I would greatly appreciate it!

First off, there's more characteristic things to identify shovelers by, but that's okay (from your description I'd hesitate to call them shovelers just yet).

Secondly, ducks, and some other species will sometimes skip migration when they're unfit to breed. i.g. have an injury, sickness, etc. Checking eBird, it looks like some stay the summer at Sweetwater regularly. This year people have only reported one bird but it's quite possible there are more.

I'm not sure what the status of Canvasback in AZ is, so I can't really help in that department.

Honestly, I am not too solid on the id of the shovellers. But it does seem like some of the local ducks do not migrate. Your explanation makes some sense. There is a regular group trip to Sweetwater with a local expert - probably best to get some expert guidance. Cheers!

There are about 50 American Widgeons that spend the winter at the Road Runner Park city pond in north Phoenix. They are usually all gone by the end of April. Last summer was an exception where one male remained the whole summer. I was still spotting him in the early fall before the others made their annual return. I guess he did not want any more heat this summer because all the Widgeons were gone from the park by the end of April this year. I have wondered why that little guy did not make the trip north last year.

There are also about 10 Canada Geese that I will see at the same park in the summer. They do move around and will be there for a few days, disappear, then return. Someone told me that hold over geese are becoming more common.

Attached is a photo of my Widgeon buddy taken June 21, 2014. He was already starting to go into a eclipse plumage and it continued into the summer.

Attachments

• IMG_1410_Cropped.jpg
    IMG_1410_Cropped.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Ring-necked Duck Hold Over

Last year I found a lone American Widgeon hold over at one of the Phoenix city parks (as posted above). This weekend I found a lone Ring-necked duck that failed to leave with the rest.

This picture was taken yesterday (July 26, 2015) at Granada Park in north central Phoenix. The other ducks were Mallards, hybrids, and domestic geese.

Attachments

• P1000400 Resized.jpg
    P1000400 Resized.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 97
  • P1000401 Resized.jpg
    P1000401 Resized.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 112
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back