• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The soon to be G9 (2 Viewers)

• 20 Megapixel
• Up to 20bps with full AF and 60bps with locked AF
• 6.5-speed, 5-axis image stabilizer (in conjunction with lens stabilizer)
• New EVF with no blackout and 0.83x magnification
• Waterproof and frost resistant (-10 degrees) body housing in magnesium

These are the last data released on the 43rumors.com site. It looks like there are some translation issues (6.5-speed vs 6.5x, etc). The question is if this will be a cheaper way of getting an improved AF from the GH5.

Niels

EVF is biggest attraction from my perspective. Hopefully we will hear the actual price by Wednesday. Many are suggesting $1,800 USD. Worth two G80/85s? ... only if CAF for BIF is much improved. Also looks big.

Latest rumor is $2300 US, perhaps Panasonic is emulating Sony's approach and will also charge more for technical innovation.

Looking like it will be priced out of my range, although the two main things for me would have been improved AF and no EVF black out.
When i had my G80 i had no complaints about AF and never noticed a lot of EVF black out so perhaps its a good thing its expensive.

I'm seeing $1800 as the latest. It looks to me that this is designed to compete with Oly EM-1 mk. ii. The heavy, videocentric GH-5, with DXO mark sensor scores that didn't break any new ground, doesn't seem to do that.

I'm seeing $1800 as the latest. It looks to me that this is designed to compete with Oly EM-1 mk. ii. The heavy, videocentric GH-5, with DXO mark sensor scores that didn't break any new ground, doesn't seem to do that.

The DXO sensor scores dont interest me that much, if it was in my price range and they had improved on focus and no black out i would have it.

The DXO sensor scores dont interest me that much, if it was in my price range and they had improved on focus and no black out i would have it.

What interests me is what it's going to offer that the EM-1 mk ii doesn't. I think that's going to determine how successful it is on the market.

Interesting theory on the oversized 1:1 sensor, portrait mode without flipping the camera. Maybe it will add to the extended OIS performance as well.

To make me interested I would like to see ISO performance like the E-M1 II.
And price way bellow the GH-5.

Any price guesstimate on the 200/2.8? $500-600?

Last edited:
Interesting theory on the oversized 1:1 sensor, portrait mode without flipping the camera. Maybe it will add to the extended OIS performance as well.

To make me interested I would like to see ISO performance like the E-M1 II.
And price way bellow the GH-5.

Any price guesstimate on the 200/2.8? $500-600?

£2500

A non-IS lens is a very old lens. A newly designed lens is probably sharper and the difference of the IS will definitely cost some money. So a guesstimate on the 200/2.8 of $500-600 probably does belong in Utopia :-O

Niels

The 200mm is bundled with a 1.4x converter with a 2x as an optional accessory. It'll be interesting to see how close the 1.4x combination comes to the 300mm Olympus lens in performance

A non-IS lens is a very old lens. A newly designed lens is probably sharper and the difference of the IS will definitely cost some money. So a guesstimate on the 200/2.8 of $500-600 probably does belong in Utopia :-O

Niels

€3000...3:)

price definitely belongs in Utopia/Leica Land. Most expensive 400mm/5.6 eqv. lens ever.
So does the weight.
The lens is 1245 grams, 1365 with the DMW-TC14 converter.
(Canon 200/2.8 is 790 g)

Looks like lovely build quality though.

Last edited:
Makes the Pana 100-400 mm look like a bargain o:)

Anyway, the G9 looks interesting. Huge EVF and supposedly improved AF and tracking. A bit big though, but with a large lens on it this should not matter.

Makes the Pana 100-400 mm look like a bargain o:)

Anyway, the G9 looks interesting. Huge EVF and supposedly improved AF and tracking. A bit big though, but with a large lens on it this should not matter.

Also makes the Oly 300/4 look like a bargain, never thought that would happen o:)

Well ime very happy with the pricing, its made my decision a lot easier, i am no longer Nikon mike but back to being m4/3 mike.
Got a G80 this morning and 100-400 on its way to me

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back