• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mr. Unger's invalid Chaco Chachalaca (1 Viewer)

Björn Bergenholtz

(former alias "Calalp")
Sweden
Here´s a minor, possible, addition on Mr. Unger ...

While randomly checking some eponyms that might, could have been Swedish I found this guy in today's HBW Alive Key:
ungeri
Jakob Unger (1894-1959) German collector resident in Paraguay 1932-1959 (syn. Ortalis canicollis pantanalensis).
Apparently commemorated in the eponym ...

ungeri as in:
• the invalid "Ortalis canicollis ungeri" STEINBACHER1962 (Note: OD unseen by me) ... as he collected the type (at least according to the Richmond card, here)

He certainly wasn´t Swedish ... but nor do I think he was German, but Ukrainian ...

Jakob Unger (18941959) a k a Jacob ditto, was born in "Podolsk" today's Novopodolsk (Dnipropetrovsk Oblast), in Ukraine, Son of Jakob Unger and his wife Anna née Epp.
Jakob Unger was a skilled hunter and self-taught taxidermist. He was a keen observer of wildlife. He provided thousands of specimens of Paraguayan birds and animals to museums, predominantly to the Senckenberg Museum in Germany.
See the following links; here and here.

For what it´s worth!

Björn

Just for the fun of it, here's some more info (nothing contradictory, from what I can tell) on Jakob Unger (here, mostly, almost all of it, in Russian) ... and (for us who doesn´t read Cyrillic letters) some nice Photos of this fairly unknown guy (at least in Sweden) and his work.

Enjoy!

--

Last edited:
He certainly wasn´t Swedish ... but nor do I think he was German, but Ukrainian ...

Well, if he lived there today he'd be a Ukrainian. But in the 19th century, nationality was more complicated. This article:

Judenplan (Kherson Oblast, Ukraine)

says that German Mennonite farmers were imported into a Jewish agricultural settlement there by the Russian government. And based on your Russian-language link, Unger was a Mennonite born in Russia. It says:

In 1803 a group of Mennonites from Prussia moved to the steppes of the Kherson province. Here, in Novo-Podolsk, one of the Mennonite settlements, in the family of Jakob Unger and Anna Epp on February 23, 1894, our hero, Jacob Unger, was born. He was one of 12 children in this large family. His mother Anna Epp (Anna Epp) was the daughter of Dietrich Epp (Dietrich Epp) - the mayor of a new settlement given to Russian subjects who professed the Jewish faith.

So yes, he was born in what is now Ukraine and what was then Russia, but I believe he would have been considered a German in those days, just as the Jews were identified as "Jewish" in their passports.

That Russian article also says that Unger left Paraguay in 1957 and lived in Canada for a couple of years.

Thanks Paul, for making things a bit clearer! :t:

Of course, maybe I was a bit inarticulate; I simply took it for granted that everybody understood that he was born in what was then Russia (as Ukraine wasn't independent until 1991). ;)

Thereby; if anyone wants to call him; Russian, Prussian, German (or "of German/Prussian descent") or Ukrainian (alt. a ditto Mennonite or Anabaptists), take your pick. Either one would be correct, depending on context.

In any case; he wasn't German in the sense "being born in Germany". That was what I (somewhat indistinctly) tried to point out.

Björn
--

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back