• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Terra ED 8X42 (1 Viewer)

dries1

I just purchased this one for a family member who wanted a smaller 8X than the Bushnell Legend M, so instead of the 8X32, I purchased the 8x42 giving a bit more exit pupil for easier viewing in variable light conditions and since the glass is light in weight, a more versatile choice.
Any owners out there who have or still used this model? and is it better than the 8X32 terra or possibly vice versa.

A.W.

I'm have 8x25 10x25 8x32 8x42 and 10x42 Terra binoculars....I have other bins but the Zeiss Terra model is just a nice+ binocular with a great warrantee backed by a top 3 binocular producer....and yes the 32 is a little more compact but the 42 is the one most birders choose....

I just purchased this one for a family member who wanted a smaller 8X than the Bushnell Legend M, so instead of the 8X32, I purchased the 8x42 giving a bit more exit pupil for easier viewing in variable light conditions and since the glass is light in weight, a more versatile choice.
Any owners out there who have or still used this model? and is it better than the 8X32 terra or possibly vice versa.

A.W.

I have a 8X32 and a 8X42. Overall I like them both. I DO feel like you made the better choice too as IMO the 32mm isn't quite as nice optically.

Chuck,

I would of responded sooner, but 10 hours of training with 4 hours of driving...ugh.
I hope he likes the Terra, I am going to take a peek, never looked through one of these,
you know, make sure the view is good.

A.W.

Terra

I'm have 8x25 10x25 8x32 8x42 and 10x42 Terra binoculars....I have other bins but the Zeiss Terra model is just a nice+ binocular with a great warrantee backed by a top 3 binocular producer....and yes the 32 is a little more compact but the 42 is the one most birders choose....

Gunut,

Let us know how the 8X32s and the 10X42s are. By the by, there are a pair of 10X32s and 10X42 going for great prices on the ..y.

A.W.

Well I purchased a Terra 8X42 for a family relative, we will see how that goes, I have not had luck with gifting binoculars. I purchased one myself since I have the Legend M as a car bino, I wanted to have another. First impressions for a glass for $250 it is surprisingly better than I thought it would be. What I have learned with new glass is to really lock down on the right DIOPTER setting using different distances and with this glass specifically, though a narrow FOV, is to get the correct IPD, otherwise the view can be off. More of a flat view than the Legend M, though a narrower FOV. Less PC distortion.

A.W.

Last edited:
Well I purchased a Terra 8X42 for a family relative, we will see how that goes, I have not had luck with gifting binoculars. I purchased one myself since I have the Legend M as a car bino, I wanted to have another. First impressions for a glass for $250 it is surprisingly better than I thought it would be. What I have learned with new glass is to really lock down on the right DIOPTER setting using different distances and with this glass specifically, though a narrow FOV, is to get the correct IPD, otherwise the view can be off. More of a flat view than the Legend M, though a narrower FOV. Less PC distortion.

A.W.

I think it's a pretty good binocular. I've used it a good bit lately along with a couple of others in that general price range.....it holds it's own. Smooth focus, excellent build quality, and very decent optics. For $250 or less, I'd buy it all day long. I bought a couple extras for gifts....the recipients were elated.

I tried both Zeiss Terra ED 8x32 and 8x42 and IMO they were not very bright and then I read the Outdoor Gear Review and they said the same thing. That is the first thing I noticed when I tried them. I wonder if it is due to their low transmission 82.6%?

Gijs has tested Terra 8x42 and 8x32 and found at 550nm transmission of 85.8% and 85.5%.

We have two Terra ED 8x32s and I enjoy using them and wouldn't describe them as noticeably lacking brightness. For sure they aren't in the same league as Conquest, MeoStar or Genesis but they are capable little binos with nice focus action and even have eyecups that don't wobble, which is not something my SFs can claim.

Lee

Terra 8X42 ED

The size of the Terra 8X42 is on the smaller size compared to the EDG 8X42, so a portable truck glass, that provides a nice view with less optical flaws than the Legend M save the smaller FOV and lbrightness. It has better focusing with no backlash, and eye-cups too. For the $$ you cannot go wrong.

A.W.

Last edited:
The size of the Terra 8X42 is on the smaller size compared to the EDG 8X42, so a portable truck glass, that provides a nice view with less optical flaws than the Legend M save the smaller FOV and lbrightness. It has better focusing with no backlash, and eye-cups too. For the $$ you cannot go wrong.

A.W.
I think the Zeiss Terra is a solid choice if you can get a good price on one but IMO I would still really compare them closely to the Vortex Viper HD, Nikon M7 and the Vanguard Endeavor II especially if the price is comparable. The Terra 42mm really is a LOT smaller than the EDG 42mm isn't it? The EDG 42mm is a pretty big binocular. Pictures like that are so helpful for people like me that are always buying different binoculars. I am going to try a GPO ED 8x32 next. Get it tomorrow. I am a little worried that the eye cups are not long enough because of Upland's criticism of the GPO ED 8x32 for that reason. Maybe I will write a review of it comparing it to my Vortex Viper's HD 8x32. That would be a pretty close match up.:king:

From Upland's Review.
"Even though these are very impressive in both build and optical qualities the eye cups are too short when extended to come up to my face all the way."

Attachments

• 1504802253000_IMG_866190.jpg
    1504802253000_IMG_866190.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
The rubber armor on the EDG is probably overkill, but the 8X42 and the 10X42 both weigh about 780 grams so compared with other 8X42s they are in the ballpark. The Nikon MHG is in the same ball park as the Terra size wise, but the FOV over a full degree difference, a different price/class of binocular. The Terra for around $260 with shipping from Colorado to the east Coast is good with me for its intended use, I did not have to go sample shopping.
Dennis, one thing I have notices with your bin collection...just curious, with the exception of the Canon IS glass where are the 8 & 10X42s, I thought you might have more than one in that format.

A.W.

I had both the 32mm and the 42mm EDG II's and honestly that was one reason I didn't like them as much as the SV 8x32 I had at the time. Like you say the armor is overkill and they are big for their apertures. Good optics though. The Canon is my 42mm for short walks and when I hike or walk a long ways I really prefer the lighter weight and size of the 30mm and 32mm aperutres. I find 99% of the time they work just as well as the 42mm the way I bird. I really don't do a lot of low light birding. I will let you know how the GPO ED 8x32 is. The Vortex Viper HD 8x32 is very impressive.

Yes, they sure are a nice looking binocular and if Lee likes them they have to be pretty good. We will see how the eye cups work out.

Hi Dennis

I have only reviewed two of GPO's higher priced HDs and not one of their ED's yet. Hope you like it. It still looks classy.

Lee

The rubber armor on the EDG is probably overkill, but the 8X42 and the 10X42 both weigh about 780 grams so compared with other 8X42s they are in the ballpark. The Nikon MHG is in the same ball park as the Terra size wise, but the FOV over a full degree difference, a different price/class of binocular. The Terra for around $260 with shipping from Colorado to the east Coast is good with me for its intended use, I did not have to go sample shopping.
Dennis, one thing I have notices with your bin collection...just curious, with the exception of the Canon IS glass where are the 8 & 10X42s, I thought you might have more than one in that format.

A.W.

The armoring on the original EDG I was thicker and heavier than the covering on the current EDG II. It was also prone to bubbling and working loose from the metal frame. The covering on the EDG II is quite a bit lighter, tighter and smoother than the covering on the old EDG I was.

Bob

Last edited:
The armoring on the original EDG I was thicker and heavier than the covering on the current EDG II. It was also prone to bubbling and working loose from the metal frame. The covering on the EDG II is quite a bit lighter, tighter and smoother than the covering on the old EDG I was.

I wonder if there are any EDG I binos around, I would like to see one next to a EDG II.

A.W.

I wonder if there are any EDG I binos around, I would like to see one next to a EDG II.

A.W.
Everybody with an EDG I has probably traded them in to Nikon for an EDG II. It was a free upgrade pretty much. The EDG I had some teething problems. There was some EDG I's around for awhile but I don't see any anymore. By the way the GPO Passion ED 8x32 had way too short of eye cups for the eye relief and the focuser had way too much slack for me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back