• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x42 BGAT vs. 7x42 FL (1 Viewer)

razor6

Supporter
United States
I have had a pair of 7x42 BGAT Classics for some time now, and have been intrigued by the discussions of the new FLs. I had NEVER noticed any out of focus areas on my old trusty BGATs until I started reading about it on the new FLs. Well, Lo and Behold, my old Classics have the out of focus ring at the edge of the field of view as well. It doesn't bother me during field viewing and birding--I only notice it while watching sporting events, i.e., college football games from my End Zone seats. The only thing that really annoys me with the older Classics is the minimum focus distance. There have been times that I have been too close to view lizards and butterflys. I know that the newer FLs will have a closer focus distance, but is the softness at the edge of the field more pronounced in the FLs than the BGATs? What about pincushion distortion between the two?

I really would like to have a FULLY waterproof pair and if the edge distortion and softness is not worse in the FL, I may make the leap.

Rob

Last edited:
the old Zeiss are brilliant bins

i've used a pair of 7 x 42s for 15 years in difficult conditions - including two years straight in the extremely humid conditions of Indonesia and never had a single problem. They still look in very good condition unlike my Nikon HGs which look knackered after a few trips to hot places (lifting rubber etc). Plus they are amazingly bright in the dawn and dusk and have an incredibly depth of field.

Tim

I don't find the lack of edge sharpness a problem in either pair of bins. The difference in the optical qualities between the two is small; the FLs have a purer image (less yellow-green cast) with slightly better contrast and brightness IMHO. Some of the improved optical performance will be due to the use of the special FL glass.

Arguably more significant is the substantial improvement in the close focus on the FLs. I seem to recall that the7x42 Dialyts were regarded as state of the art in terms of close focus when they first came out; they aren't now. The 2m close focus on the FLs is a big plus, for birding, not just insects. Waterproof too, and the old Dialyts do let in water now and then (as I know to my cost).

But as Tim suggests, you already have a superb binocular so don't necessarily have to change them. I couldn't bring myself to trade mine in for the FLs.

Sean

dogfish said:
I don't find the lack of edge sharpness a problem in either pair of bins. The difference in the optical qualities between the two is small; the FLs have a purer image (less yellow-green cast) with slightly better contrast and brightness IMHO. Some of the improved optical performance will be due to the use of the special FL glass.

Arguably more significant is the substantial improvement in the close focus on the FLs. I seem to recall that the7x42 Dialyts were regarded as state of the art in terms of close focus when they first came out; they aren't now. The 2m close focus on the FLs is a big plus, for birding, not just insects. Waterproof too, and the old Dialyts do let in water now and then (as I know to my cost).

But as Tim suggests, you already have a superb binocular so don't necessarily have to change them. I couldn't bring myself to trade mine in for the FLs.

Sean

Thanks for the replies Sean and Tim. Being well acquainted with the older 7x42, I agree that they are great bins and I'm not necessarily looking to get rid of them. I was just wondering if the edge softness and pincushion distortion is worse in the newer FLs. It seems that some folks have said it is more noticeable in the 7x vs. the 8x and 10x FLs. As I said, I never noticed edge softness in my old ones until I looked for it after reading this forum. And, as I said, not really a problem for me, though. The newer FLs do intrigue me because of the closer focus and it would be nice to have a little better focus mechanism.

Thanks,
Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back