• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (1 Viewer)

We thought we'd walk along and see if there was another bench (the sun had moved onto our one by now.

Did I remember to tell you it was hot?

On the far bank was a White-necked Heron, so easily identifiable, I mean, what what other name could you give it? Then a movement in the tree above us and Judy called Striped Honeyeater, gosh what a run-around it gave me. Eventually I managed a picture but he'd turned his head, the next image he'd jumped up a bit and there was no head, but his body was nicely in view!

A Willie Wagtail made up for him, by standing in full view on a branch over the river. We'd now found the next bench which was in the shade. What a delightful spot... Restless Flycatchers were here, a recently fledged family too. This guy settled on a twig right below us, almost at our feet. They do live up to their name - constantly on the go. Pretty too.

Hans had found us by now and we continued along the path. On the other side of the river a Kangaroo came in to drink.

Regarding the water... there'd been no rain for a long time, but every water body I saw was very brown, even where the water was still. I still don't understand why that would be.

Did I mention the heat?

Attachments

• BF White-necked Heron thread.jpg
    BF White-necked Heron thread.jpg
    420.5 KB · Views: 117
  • BF Striped Honey-eater thread.jpg
    BF Striped Honey-eater thread.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 156
  • BF Willie Wagtail thread.jpg
    BF Willie Wagtail thread.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 111
  • BF Restless Flycatcher thread.jpg
    BF Restless Flycatcher thread.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 115
  • BF Kangaroo thread.jpg
    BF Kangaroo thread.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 110

Did I remember to tell you it was hot?

Did I mention the heat?

Lol ! Yes :-O several times I believe 3:)

You chickened out of Summer - 40°C plus here today with just over 2&1/2 months left of Summer .... we haven't even got to the warm part yet ! :eek!: o:D

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
Lol ! Yes :-O several times I believe 3:)

You chickened out of Summer - 40°C plus here today with just over 2&1/2 months left of Summer .... we haven't even got to the warm part yet ! :eek!: o:D

LOL indeed I didn't Chosun.

It was hot. That day was about 39c. The next day was 43c!!! And this was early October remember.

.... On the far bank was a White-necked Heron, so easily identifiable, I mean, what what other name could you give it?
Lol. Pacific Heron o:D

What a delightful spot... Restless Flycatchers were here, a recently fledged family too. This guy settled on a twig right below us, almost at our feet. They do live up to their name - constantly on the go. Pretty too.
These are just the most sensational little birds aren't they Delia ! :D
They are also known as the Scissor Grinders because of the delightful little churring-type sounds that they do - I hope you got to hear that :)
Here's a neat little clip of it:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mS0TRqUgOkM

Regarding the water... there'd been no rain for a long time, but every water body I saw was very brown, even where the water was still. I still don't understand why that would be.
This country is pretty stuffed, the lack of functioning wetlands of the inland and vegetation cover, and the long drought has muddied the waters (mostly superfine clay particles give it that brown look). It could also be 'your' - ahem ..... European Carp ...... :-C

Last edited:
We then walked on towards the bridge, finding a Great Egret wading in the middle and a White-faced Heron on the far bank.

But Hans wanted me to walk on to the bridge, where he'd found some Fairy Martins earlier. Such pretty things, but they all decided it was preening time so couldn't get a picture of one with his head up LOL.

Back at the hotel, having a cool drink before dinner, Hans suddenly jumped up and started to run across the road, calling me after him! We peered over the fence and there on the ground were a couple of Australian Ringnecks, gosh how beautiful they are.

I'll finish this with a picture of the two fledgling Restless Flycatchers. Cute, aren't they.

Attachments

• BF Great Egret thread.jpg
    BF Great Egret thread.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 110
  • BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 100
  • BF Fairy Martin thread.jpg
    BF Fairy Martin thread.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 114
  • BF Australian Ringneck thread.jpg
    BF Australian Ringneck thread.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 148
  • BF Restless Flycatcher juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Restless Flycatcher juvenile thread.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 129
7 October 2019

Early breakfast again as another 200 or so kilometers faced us, which we hoped to complete by coffee time.

We were now deep into Outback Queensland, however it appeared there might have been a little recent rain, as there were one or two areas where some flowers were growing, which relieved the boredom a little.

The growth appeared to have encouraged some wildlife near the road, and it was sad to see so many roadkill Kangaroos. A few Emus were seen through the trees on occasion.

We picked the right garage for re-fuelling at Cunnamulla for there was a group of Banded Lapwing, with youngsters, on the grass to the side of the forecourt; mostly seeking any shade that was available. A sudden flurry of consternation and there above was a Black Kite, being mobbed by a Magpie-Lark.

Also at this point was an Australian Magpie.

Attachments

• BF Roadside Daisies thread.jpg
    BF Roadside Daisies thread.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 97
  • BF Roadside yellow flowers thread.jpg
    BF Roadside yellow flowers thread.jpg
    395.3 KB · Views: 102
  • BF Banded Lapwing thread.jpg
    BF Banded Lapwing thread.jpg
    386.5 KB · Views: 115
  • BF Black Kite mobbed by Magpie-Lark thread.jpg
    BF Black Kite mobbed by Magpie-Lark thread.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 112
  • BF Australian Magpie Thread.jpg
    BF Australian Magpie Thread.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 97
Bowra Reserve

At last, nearly at our destination for the next few days. Turning into the approach road, some Brolga were spotted in the distance. I was so pleased to see these, as I'd long been fascinated by them.

https://www.kullillaart.com.au/dreamtime-stories/Brolga

Sadly we didn't see them again.

Shortly after there was an Australian Pipit keeping to the shade of a bush.

In the grounds surrounding the accommodation and offices of the station, I found some Fairy Martins and a Yellow-throated Miner.

Judy and I went and sat beside the Homestead Dam for a while and a juvenile Black-fronted Dotterel came to see what we were up to.

Attachments

• BF Brolga thread.jpg
    BF Brolga thread.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 122
  • BF Australian Pipit thread.jpg
    BF Australian Pipit thread.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 109
  • BF Fairy Martin thread.jpg
    BF Fairy Martin thread.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 147
  • BF Yellow-throated Miner thread.jpg
    BF Yellow-throated Miner thread.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 121
  • BF Black-fronted Dotterel juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Black-fronted Dotterel juvenile thread.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 127
Judy and I had a good time at the Homestead Dam.

Another sighting of Restless Flycatchers and a young one; a female White-winged Triller came and pecked around on the beach.

Another adult with young was a Pied Stilt, then a Little Corella came in for a drink and settled on some dead wood in the middle of the water.

Attachments

• BF Restless Flycatcher thread.jpg
    BF Restless Flycatcher thread.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 100
  • BF White-winged Triller thread.jpg
    BF White-winged Triller thread.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 144
  • BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    BF White-faced Heron thread.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 102
  • BF Pied Stilt thread.jpg
    BF Pied Stilt thread.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 126
  • BF Little Corella thread.jpg
    BF Little Corella thread.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 114
Continuing our sojourn beside the water, a Rainbow Bee-eater was sitting on top of another dead tree in the water.

Then another juvenile, this time a Red-kneed Dotterel. A Torresian Crow on yet another dead tree. A Masked Woodswallow was obviously feeling the extreme heat of the day 43 C and it was a long way off being summer!!

Also seen there, though I didn't get pictures of them, were Apostlebirds, Galah, White-breasted Woodswallows, Black-faced Cuckooshrike and a juvenile Spotted Bowerbird.

Then it was lunch time.

Attachments

• BF Rainbow Bee-eater thread.jpg
    BF Rainbow Bee-eater thread.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 118
  • BF Torresian Crow thread.jpg
    BF Torresian Crow thread.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 93
  • BF Red-kneed Dotterel juv thread.jpg
    BF Red-kneed Dotterel juv thread.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 138
  • BF Masked Woodswallow thread.jpg
    BF Masked Woodswallow thread.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 123
  • BF Homestead Dam thread.jpg
    BF Homestead Dam thread.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 105
Hi Larry and thanks.

I know, confusing aren't they (I initially had them as Black-faced Cuckooshrikes as they were around too). I've checked with Hans and he says they're female Masked Woodswallows. And now I look more carefully at the picture, I see there's a dusky full face.

That picture was the clearest of them I'm afraid.

Hi Larry and thanks.

I know, confusing aren't they (I initially had them as Black-faced Cuckooshrikes as they were around too). I've checked with Hans and he says they're female Masked Woodswallows. And now I look more carefully at the picture, I see there's a dusky full face.

That picture was the clearest of them I'm afraid.

Fair enough. I can't help thinking that the black is a bit restricted on the face though, and cuts in below the eye rather than out over the ear coverts, especially on the right hand bird. But it is an odd angle, and it does appear to be extensive on the throat in the left hand bird.

After lunch Hans discovered that a Black-breasted Buzzard had been seen near Post 19 in the vicinity of a nest, so we thought we'd set off and look for it ourselves. Before we'd got very far away from the Homestead, we found an Emu ushering the young back into the bush.

The second picture is taken at Post 19 just to show you the type of habitat there. Judy found the nest in a distant tree, but there was no sign of the buzzard either on it or near it, though we searched all the surrounding trees.

We then decided to go to the road.... er... ? track on the other side of the nest for a different angle, but had no luck there either.

Driving round the various tracks we came across some more female Masked Woodswallows. Then I got some flight practise in on my new camera (judge for yourselves;)), firstly with a Whistling Kite, who had a bit of a battle with a Black Kite.

Attachments

• BF Young Emu thread.jpg
    BF Young Emu thread.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 127
  • BF Post 19 thread.jpg
    BF Post 19 thread.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 107
  • BF Masked Woodswallow female thread.jpg
    BF Masked Woodswallow female thread.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 109
  • BF Whistling Kite thread.jpg
    BF Whistling Kite thread.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 122
  • BF Black Kite Flight thread.jpg
    BF Black Kite Flight thread.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 116
The Black Kite eventually landed in a tree not too far from us, so it would have been unkind not to have taken his picture, wouldn't it LOL. Not far away was a little flock of Crested Pigeons.

We then made our way to the top end of the Homestead Dam and my first picture there was a White-breasted Woodswallow in flight ... rather pleased with that one! A Masked Plover and, at last, a male White-winged Triller, I'd already seen a few females.

Attachments

• BF Black Kite perched thread.jpg
    BF Black Kite perched thread.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 99
  • BF Crested Pigeons thread.jpg
    BF Crested Pigeons thread.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 107
  • BF White-breasted Woodswallow flight thread.jpg
    BF White-breasted Woodswallow flight thread.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 96
  • BF Masked Lapwing thread.jpg
    BF Masked Lapwing thread.jpg
    224.5 KB · Views: 95
  • BF White-winged Triller male.jpg
    BF White-winged Triller male.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 102
Before we left, Hans found a Spotted Bowerbird for me. Not a good picture that though sadly; then a flock of Galahs arrived.

Gosh what a day that had been but it was now time to return to Cunnamulla, as I was to stay at the hotel there for 2 nights until there was a spare room at the Bowra cabin.

Hans and Judy were having dinner with me there and a very good meal it was too.

Attachments

• BF Spotted Bowerbird thread.jpg
    BF Spotted Bowerbird thread.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 109
  • BF Galah thread.jpg
    BF Galah thread.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 105
  • BF Homestead Dam top end thread.jpg
    BF Homestead Dam top end thread.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
8th October 2019 - Back Dam

Awake early as Hans and Judy were bringing breakfast with them which we were going to eat in the beer garden. This was where I saw my first House Sparrow of the trip.

As soon as I got up I noticed what I guessed was a Cockroach studying my crossword puzzle. Hans confirmed this later and said it was introduced to the country, probably escaping off visiting ships.

Soon after entering the Bowra Station road, we came across a flock of Major Mitchell's Cockatoos - gosh beauties with their crests up aren't they.

Around the trees surrounding the Homestead we found some Apostlebirds and a Brown Treecreeper.

We then headed out to the Back Dam

A Diamond Dove was drinking there, which pleased Hans immensely as he knew it was a species that Ken wanted to see (sorry Ken);).

Attachments

• BF Cockroach thread.jpg
    BF Cockroach thread.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 109
  • BF Major Mitchell's Cockatoo thread.jpg
    BF Major Mitchell's Cockatoo thread.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 129
  • BF Apostlebird thread.jpg
    BF Apostlebird thread.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 123
  • BF Brown Treecreeper thread.jpg
    BF Brown Treecreeper thread.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 126
  • BF Diamond Dove flight thread.jpg
    BF Diamond Dove flight thread.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 133
Not far from the car I found a pile of poo, which Hans identified as coming from an Emu.

We settled ourselves in the shade of some bushes and waited then to see what else might come in. It wasn't long, White-plumed Honeyeaters were there virtually all the time. A little flock of Cockatiels flew in for a drink. The Diamond Dove came back with a pal.

On the far side slope a female White-winged Triller popped in, followed by a Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater, then on the other side of the dam came three Australian Ravens

And we weren't finished yet!

Attachments

• BF White-plumed Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF White-plumed Honeyeater thread.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 125
  • BF Cockatiel thread.jpg
    BF Cockatiel thread.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 130
  • BF Diamond Doves thread.jpg
    BF Diamond Doves thread.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 122
  • BF Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Spiny-cheeked Honeyeater thread.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 127
  • BF Australian Raven thread.jpg
    BF Australian Raven thread.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 119
Just realised I forgot to post the Emu poo picture. Sorry.

Attachments

• BF Emu Poo thread.jpg
    BF Emu Poo thread.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 111
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back