• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

how does r.s.p.b. high grade, compare? (1 Viewer)

fender

I have heard that the rspb high grade binoculars 8x42 £399 are comparable to many of the more expensive high-end brands. Can anyone testify to this claim? i would be very interested as i am thinking of getting some Zeiss 8x42 BT FL's but am an rspb volunteer and with my discount card would be able to get a pair of the high grades at a 40% discount. I had kind of set my sights on the zeiss, but common sense is telling me to check-out the others
first as i would make a big saving.

Regards, Phil.

I've got a pair and I'm happy - had them for about 6 months now! However, have never compared them to any of the big brands as I could not justify spending thousands of pounds when my eyes are the limiting factor!!! They are quite weighty which could be a problem for some people although I don't have problem - I preferred them to the lighter models as they felt better.
They got a good write up in one of the mags where they came top of all the mid-price-range bins they tested. However, if I remember rightly the recent review in one of the monthly's didn't rate them too hot. Can't remember all the details but I could dig the articles out if you want.

Claire

The HGs are very pleasant to look through; I started this thread about the 7x42 version. They just don't have the diamond sharp view you'd get with the Zeiss. If you can afford the Zeiss, I'd get them instead.

Michael

I've got a pair and I'm happy - had them for about 6 months now! However, have never compared them to any of the big brands as I could not justify spending thousands of pounds when my eyes are the limiting factor!!! They are quite weighty which could be a problem for some people although I don't have problem - I preferred them to the lighter models as they felt better.
They got a good write up in one of the mags where they came top of all the mid-price-range bins they tested. However, if I remember rightly the recent review in one of the monthly's didn't rate them too hot. Can't remember all the details but I could dig the articles out if you want.

Claire
Thanks for your help and info Claire. I won't trouble you to find those articles, as i think that after more research, i will now go for the Zeiss.
Best regards, Phil.

The HGs are very pleasant to look through; I started this thread about the 7x42 version. They just don't have the diamond sharp view you'd get with the Zeiss. If you can afford the Zeiss, I'd get them instead.

Michael
Thanks Michael, yes i think that i will get the zeiss Bt fl's. I have now seen some excellent reviews on them, and feel that they will be a good long-term choice.

Best regards, Phil.

Have you tried Swarovski binoculars

hey fender,
Have you had a look at swarovski binoculars? I use the SLC 10x42 and absolutely love them. I have looked through most high quality optics and I have yet to find brand that really compares with the swarovskis. the zeiss are nice but I don't particularly like the way they feel in the hand. If you do have a look at them, then you might want to try out the little swarovski EL 8x32s. alot of the bird guides in Costa Rica use them because their light transfer in dark forests is great, they are light around the neck, durable and weather the rainforest and continual use well.

Dale Forbes

My Alpine birds blog
My whale shark blog

hey fender,
Have you had a look at swarovski binoculars? I use the SLC 10x42 and absolutely love them. I have looked through most high quality optics and I have yet to find brand that really compares with the swarovskis. the zeiss are nice but I don't particularly like the way they feel in the hand. If you do have a look at them, then you might want to try out the little swarovski EL 8x32s. alot of the bird guides in Costa Rica use them because their light transfer in dark forests is great, they are light around the neck, durable and weather the rainforest and continual use well.

Dale Forbes

My Alpine birds blog
My whale shark blog

Hi Dale, i agree that Swarovskis are good, but i do think that the 8.5x42's would feel too heavy, but i havent totally discounted the 8x32's yet, as i was impressed with them when trying a friends a while ago. I find that the Zeiss bt fl's feel good in my hands, and i've read some very favourable reviews which say that they have the edge on Swarovski's in some respects,light transmission being one of them. I also understand that many wildlife professionals use them too. I just have to go to compare them one last time for myself to be sure i think. Thanks for your reply.
Regards,Phil.

I am also a RSPB volunteer and have both the RSPB 8 X 42 and the Zeiss 10X42 T*FL. As expected the Zeiss are exceptionally good but considering that with the volunteers discount the RSPB models are about half the price these "cheaper" bins give a very good account of themselves. If money no object go for Zeiss but I can say that you will not be disappointed with the RSPB models, they are about as good as you can get in their much lower price range.

Ok Geoff, thanks for your input, i take on-board what you're saying. Did you buy the Zeiss before, or after the rspb 8x42's?

Regards, Phil.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back