• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Acuter pro fixed eyepieces for Fieldmaster/Saker? (1 Viewer)

ABCY 1

Returning to the ongoing question of fixed eyepieces for the Helios Fieldmaster ED 60/Theron Saker, has anyone looked at the Acuter pro eyepieces which appear (without my being able to measure anything) to have an identical external thread fitting? Interested to know if anyone has tried this, assuming the Acuter eyepieces are decent performers.

Hi found two different sets of images when browsing for these eyepieces..first set of images shows the whole collection of the older Vixen Geoma GL eyepieces ,with the particular Vixen bayonet fitting,,,second set of images shows the eyepieces with the external collar fitting that you actually are mentioning..but ,the size of the eyepieces are surprisingly similar to the vixen´s..So I think this is not a coincidence..the eyepieces might be clones of the Vixen Geoma GL eyepieces..If they are I can share my own experience since I have used the 9mm and the 15mm Geoma eyepieces in my old Geoma ED ..They are sharp and very compact and feature a wide field,but the eye relief is short.(maybe the 19mm and the 24 mm are better in that regard)...The shorter focals (5,6,and 9 mm) grant HIGH power ,and the results in these low price scopes,small spotters, is likely to be disappointing,but sticking to the 24 , 19 and 15 mm could give good results. The price is low,so might be worth the try..Being in Australia could be more complicated ,if you cant find them locally and have to add shipping cost etc
To make sure the eyepieces actually fit the Helios ,a call can be given to a dealer that sales both,the scope and the eyepieces...
Scopes'n'Skies in the UK have both in stock..http://www.scopesnskies.com/scopes-n-skies-contact-details.html..

Last edited:
Thanks both. I'll chase up with Scopesn'skies though as they don't export stock they may not be able to help much. Agree that the price is suspiciously low, and as I'd be looking for something around 27-30x eye relief would be an issue for me, so not holding my breath here.

More on fixed eyepieces for the Fieldmaster/Saker, and it's a good news/bad news story. The Fieldmaster finally made it to Australia, and I'm very pleased with it. For interest, I took the 22x eyepiece off my old Spacemaster II and find it fits and works perfectly on the Fieldmaster, including focus to infinity. The bad news it's not discernably sharper, brighter or wider than the equivalent setting on the Fieldmaster zoom. However, there must be other EPs with this mount that might be more impressive. The old EP has no manufacturer marked, just 50S-18x 260S - W22x. I suspect it's either a Vixen or a clone. Hope this helps with fixed EP options for this great little scope.

Hi Woodhornbirder - yes, the EP screws into the inner thread on the Saker mount (strangely this thread doesn't seem to be used by the zoom supplied with the body, which attaches solely via the collar screwing onto the outer thread). Will attempt to post photo of EP in place

Thanks for tip on 27x, looks familiar but I do recall very short eye relief

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back