Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2012

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 24th April 2012, 21:14   #126
Cristina Fiol

Ah!
and last week I saw my first Bee-eaters of this year. A flock of 12-13 over flying very low in the Port of Sóller.

Cristina.
Old Thursday 26th April 2012, 15:52   #127
honeym

Hi All

A few more sightings from s´Albufera and nearby.

Wednesday 25:
2 Common Tern
4 Wood Sandpiper
3 Curlew Sandpiper
3 Little Stint
2 Black-necked Grebe still at the Depuradora, also pr Shelduck with 4 ducklings and 7 Common Sand.
Great White Egret at Cami des Polls area, with 4 Whinchat, >15 Whiskered Tern, numerous Wood Sands, some Little Stint and a Temmink´s Stint plus a Grey Plover.

Thursday 26:
A very late Robin
A couple of singing Willow Warbler
Singing Sedge Warbler
2 Gull-billed Tern
1 Whiskered Tern
2 Marbled Duck
6 Wood Sandpiper
1 Curlew Sand
6 Green Sand
Small flock of Bee-eater around the reception Centre calling

Martin
Old Thursday 26th April 2012, 16:53   #128
thorin

Hi Martin

nice to see some migrants coming in, can i ask where is the Cami des Polls area

cheers Nick
Old Thursday 26th April 2012, 18:07   #129
honeym

Hi Nick

It´s the area at the back of the Parc at the opposite end to the entrance, marked Siguia des Polls on this map
http://www.caib.es/sacmicrofront/arc...78161&id=78161

It´s accessed from the road that goes past the power station heading inland from the coast. When you go over the narrow bridge (Pont de Can Blau), where there´s a traffic priority sign, take the rough road directly ahead (the main road does a sharp right so you need to be very careful of traffic). At the end there´s another bridge over a canal, then you are at the Cami des Polls area. Access from the bridge is only on foot.

I hope this helps

Martin
Old Thursday 26th April 2012, 20:59   #130
thorin

thanks Martin we are coming out for a week in PPollensa on Saturday and really looking forward to it.

cheers nick
Old Thursday 26th April 2012, 21:30   #131
nickderry
C'est pas ma faute, je suis anglais.

Just booked me four nights in Puerto Pollensa, 7th - 11th May. Now to go and have a look through this thread and get my appetite well and truly whet!
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 09:40   #132
honeym

Hi Nick

I´m here until next Friday (4 May), based in s´Albufera, so we may bump in to each other. Whatever the case, have an enjoyable trip.

Martin
Old Friday 27th April 2012, 16:27   #133
nickderry

oh, and as I'm travelling alone - there is a spare place in the hotel if anyone may be interested, apparently, single people don't go on holiday!
Old Saturday 28th April 2012, 12:23   #134
honeym

Hi Nick

They do, but usually have to pay more for the privilege!

Just returned from a night mothing in the mountains but added a few birds to the list. Saw several pairs of Griffon Vulture this morning soaring below the mountain tops, a couple of Black Vulture and heard 2 Wryneck (also had Scops Owl near the moth trap last night.

In case moths are of interest, among the trap catch we saw four specimens of Antheraea pernyi the Chinese Oak Silkmoth and 19 specimens of Hyles livornica the Striped Hawk-moth.

On the way back down the mountain, avoiding the inevitable cyclists, we saw 4 Bee-eater perch on telegraph wires by the side of the road.

Martin
Old Saturday 28th April 2012, 15:03   #135
Mike Montier

A three hour walk around Mongragó saw some good migration with 11 Bee-eaters over, about 50 Spotted flycatchers, 2 Tawny pipits and Woodchat. Also 4 Stone curlew, two with young, many Nightingales and a Wryneck.
Old Saturday 28th April 2012, 18:09   #136
Andrew Crowder

Just back from 10 days near Campenet. 109 species in total. Amongst highlights were:
Marbled Duck
Black Stork
Gull Billed Tern
Whiskered Tern
Gargeney
Turtle Dove
Great White Egret
Spoonbill
Griffon & Black Vulture
Flock of 23 (yes, 23!) Marsh Sandpiper at Es Trenc
Heavy passage of Booted Eagles for the whole 10 days - lost count but 7-8x the number I have ever seen before on the island.
Mid Holiday - the largest build up of Hirudines I have ever seen over 3 days. Anywhere on the island we went you could not look anywhere without the whole sky being full of birds looking like swarms of insects. Impossible to estimate numbers but in the hundreds of thousands, probably millions. Then gone next day. Astonising birding experience.
We had given up any hope of picking anything unusual out of those numbers (Pallids, etc) when we had great views of a red breasted swallow of sub-species [i]transitiva[i] - first I've ever seen.

Andrew
Old Saturday 28th April 2012, 19:01   #137
honeym

Hi

Yes, there seem to be lots of Wood Sand around. Had a flock of 10 or more plus another group of 20 the other day at s´Albufera.

A very brief tour round the hides at s´Albufera before dusk provided good views of 2 Little Stint and 2 Curlew Sandpiper at CIM plus 19 more at Bishop I, 2 juv Spoonbill, 2 Common Tern, 2 Green Sand. and a Sanderling.

Collared Praticole had also been seen today.

Martin
Old Sunday 29th April 2012, 00:10   #138
phil baber
artist for birds

Friday at S'Albufera:
Gull-Billed Tern at Sa Roca. Flock of 26 Wood Sand and a 7 flock of Temminck's Stint at Bishop 1. Stone Curlew circus near dusk. Here also A Black-Winged Stilt pair with 3 new chicks. Spoonbill over. Great White Egret from The Mound above Sa Roca.
On 24th 2 Glossy Ibis circling the Egret and Night heron colony back of Bishop 2. 1st reported 19th by Centre. 24th was my first ever "9 Heron Day." 8 species on S'Albufera and Great White Egret at S'Albufereta. On Friday only managed 7...:(
Just returned to UK from a great week in the North. Will link back a report soon. Also will link to HD videos we took whilst there.

A few grabs and photos: Nightingale, Baby BW Stilt, Crested Coot, GB Tern and Temmint's.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nightingale s'albufera 24.04.12redux.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	381236  Click image for larger version

Name:	bws baby.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	381237  Click image for larger version

Name:	cc redux.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	381238  Click image for larger version

Name:	gbt.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	381239  Click image for larger version

Name:	Temint's.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	381240  

Last edited by phil baber : Sunday 29th April 2012 at 00:30.
Old Monday 30th April 2012, 12:17   #139
rdspalm

Just home from a 4 day birding break at Porto de Pollenca. Saw 80+ species which was nice for my first time in Mallorca. Excellent weather too. Photos to follow. See my Flickr link also.

Richard
Old Tuesday 1st May 2012, 20:54   #140
honeym

Hi

Managed a quick trip round the hides at s´Albufera today but they were absolutely full of birders. I´ve never seen the hides so busy. Among them was Nick (from above), so it was nice to put a face to a name.

Still a nice group of summer plumage Curlew Sand., and Spotted Redshank (10 and 20ish, respectively), Little Stint, Sanderling, Greenshank, Common Sand. 4 Marbled Duck, 4 Avocet, 2 Common Tern, 1 Whiskered Tern, 3 Great White Egret. Black-winged Stilt young are starting to appear everywhere so the adults are getting frantic and noisy. Small group of six or so Glossy Ibis at Cami des Polls and one Spoonbill was seen just before I got to Bishop I.

Barn Owl calling outside as I write this.

Martin

Last edited by honeym : Tuesday 1st May 2012 at 20:57.
Old Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 10:02   #141
Jos Stratford
Beast from the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
Managed a quick trip round the hides at s´Albufera today but they were absolutely full of birders. I´ve never seen the hides so busy. Among them was Nick (from above), so it was nice to put a face to a name.
Do the hides at Albufera double as tardis - Nick posted that he will be on the island from 7th - 11th May

BF Supporter 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 13:14   #142
nickderry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos Stratford View Post
Do the hides at Albufera double as tardis - Nick posted that he will be on the island from 7th - 11th May
I can confirm that I am sadly still sitting at work in France and have not been there yet. Really can't wait though.
Old Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 17:25   #143
honeym

Sorry Nick.

It must be a touch of the sun (or wind burn)!

It must have been the ´other´ Nick (aka Thorin).

Easily confused of s´Albufera!!
Old Wednesday 2nd May 2012, 18:36   #144
nickderry

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
Sorry Nick.

It must be a touch of the sun (or wind burn)!

It must have been the ´other´ Nick (aka Thorin).

Easily confused of s´Albufera!!
No probs - any Nick is a pleasure to meet!
Old Thursday 3rd May 2012, 13:57   #145
capdegat

As we're also going Saturday a quick question please. Can you go into the reserve after 6 int the evening ? I know it states it is closed but some things are better at dusk .
Old Thursday 3rd May 2012, 14:45   #146
honeym

Hi Les

The front gates are locked when the last member of staff leaves, mainly to keep unauthorised vehicles out and to deter the ´casual´visitor. However, there are often quite a few people in the Parc after that time (I´ve even found some long after nightfall - well wrapped against the mozzies).

I would suggest that you speak to the staff manning the reception centre on your first visit and see if you can get them to give you early/late access permits. Please also remember to log important or interesting sightings with them. You can pick up the latest list of species, i.e. those seen in the 15 days up to the end of April. This gives a good idea about what to expect but if there´s something specific that you want to see, they may be able to offer help as to where the last ones were seen (e.g. there´s an elusive flock of c.25 Glossy Ibis at present, most often seen near the back of the Parc in the Cami des Polls area). Most birders in the hides, even if not English, will tell you what´s been seen and where.

The summer plumage Black-necked Grebe are still on the Depuadora.

I hope to get a final trip round the hides before I leave so there will be one final post as I´m back to the UK tomorrow morning.

Martin
Old Thursday 3rd May 2012, 15:22   #147
Mike Montier

Hi Martin, many thanks for posting all your sightings. I am in an internet shop having had my computer infected with a deadly virus, it is probably ruined, so I may be a bit quiet for a few days! I hope you will make it back here soon, Michael
Old Thursday 3rd May 2012, 17:21   #148
honeym

Hi Michael

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks, I hope to be back in the autumn - hopefully to better moths.

My last trip round the hides found them strangely empty of people. CIM gave a Purple Heron, 2 Redshank, some Kentish Plover and a Black-headed Gull (first of the trip). BISHOP I was, as usual, the most interesting, with Common and Whiskered Tern, 3 Avocet, the long-staying Oystercatcher, Sanderling, 3 Marbled Duck, 9 Curlew Sand, 5 Common Sand, 4 Spotted Redshank and 1 White Wagtail. BISHOP II just added another Common Sand and a Ringed Plover.

To everyone here, or about to come here, enjoy your visit.

Best wishes

Martin
Old Thursday 3rd May 2012, 18:03   #149
NAB
Neil Blood - UK 437 BOU

Just back from a 5 night birding trip (my first to Majorca), with personal highlights for myself and 2 friends being: Black Vulture, Egyptian Vulture, Balearic Warbler, Moustached Warbler, Red-knobbed Coot and Marbeled Duck. Plenty of other good birds too including Collared Pratincoles, Bee Eaters, Tawny Pipits...... with over 90 species seen.

A note for any first time visitors and using 'A birding tourist guide to Majorca', don't turn up thinking Moustached Warbler and Balearic Warbler are easy to connect with because they aren't, with the latter being particularly difficult.

Neil
Old Thursday 3rd May 2012, 19:26   #150
Mike Montier

Glad you had a good trip NAB, sounds like you did! Yes, Moustached are quite difficult really and Balearic warbler can be hard too. Watch and wait seems to be the best policy. I usually have lunch near the end of the Bóquer Valley and after a while the Balearics usually show themselves. Not for long mind you! Scop's owls tonight but no Nightjars churring yet.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: