Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2013

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 33 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Friday 17th May 2013, 06:38   #251
osprey31

Hi Jasmacqu,

Just been reading this on the Rare Bird Spain site, might be of interest
http://www.rarebirdspain.net/arbsi042.htm
Old Sunday 19th May 2013, 14:11   #252
mosiesinclair

Hi Rach

Unfortunately didn't see or hear the scops, despite staying in Pollensa Park for a week! We're presuming they stop calling when they have eggs, but not too sure on that. We heard them regularly when we were staying al Lluc, but didn't see any there either. We had a great time and saw lots of fantastic birds (118 species, 36 lifers) so very happy with that. Next time!

Regards
Maureen
Old Monday 20th May 2013, 21:20   #253
Robert Norris

Too Late !

How peeved am I.!
Just back from 2 weeks in Porto Pollenca (4th to 18th May) only to find out about this forum today.
It wasn't strictly a birding holiday but I did manage a couple of trips to s'albufera, a bike ride around the back of s'albufuretta, several trips up the Boquer and the track over to Cala St Vincente.
I was pleased with my 98 species (plus 2 heard (pheasant & wren !)

Highlights for me were

Bonelli's Eagle at Marrataxi on 14th
17 Honey Buzzards and 2 Black Vultures in one group together !! Going over Cala St Vincente on 16th
Caspian Tern along the front at Porto Pollenca on 17th
Golden Orioles 2 separate birds at Porto Pollenca on 5th and 7th
Wryneck at Boquer on 8th
3 Collared Pratincoles on 13th and 5 Curlew Sandpipers on. 7th at S'albufera
Melodious Warbler eating Mulberry type berries along entrance track at S'albufera on 13th
Gull billed Tern at S'albufera on 7th and 13th
9 species of heron including a Night Heron in the grounds of my hotel on several days(Duva, Porto Pollenca)
4 Wood Warblers in one tree together and 8 Whinchat at Es Gola on 6 th

Would have loved to have known about the Scops' while I was there.
Old Tuesday 21st May 2013, 08:49   #254
rachk116

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosiesinclair View Post
Hi Rach

Unfortunately didn't see or hear the scops, despite staying in Pollensa Park for a week! We're presuming they stop calling when they have eggs, but not too sure on that. We heard them regularly when we were staying al Lluc, but didn't see any there either. We had a great time and saw lots of fantastic birds (118 species, 36 lifers) so very happy with that. Next time!

Regards
Maureen
Hi Maureen,

I'm sorry you didn't get the Scop's Owl. Maybe you are right that they are less active when they are nesting. That would be interesting to know. At least you know where to go the next time you visit Mallorca. An amazing place I think.
Rach
Old Tuesday 21st May 2013, 18:33   #255
honeym

Hi Robert

It sounds like a good trip none-the-less.

Caspian Tern is on the Balearic rarities list. If you can provide a description the details of where to send it are in the back of A birdng tourist's guide to Majorca.

It was a Mulberry tree that your Melodious Warbler was eating. Delicious!

There was a big migration of raptors over the Albercutx tower on 19 May, including an incredible minimum number of 489 Honey Buzzard!!

Oh to have been there!

Martin
Old Tuesday 21st May 2013, 18:37   #256
Andrew Crowder

Coming soon....

Will be staying around Campanet from this Sat. Are there any Pallids still around & what about Bonelli's? and can anyone recommend where to see LE Owl - I' ve heard they are not uncommon.
Andrew
Old Friday 24th May 2013, 12:22   #257
hughm

Pallid Swifts may be seen around Porto Colom- I have seen them in s'Algar bay in the past. Hearl also suggests looking down from the tourist mirador where all the coaches stop near the Albercutx tower going from Port de Pollenca towards Formentor. HTH- Hugh Matthews
Old Thursday 30th May 2013, 19:01   #258
andyplumb

Hi Andrew,
Looking at the rare birds in Spain web site there have been no recent reports of Pallids. As for Bonelli's I'm unsure of their summer status. If you do hear of or find any I would be interested to know. I am arriving on the 9th for 10 days.
Old Thursday 30th May 2013, 19:12   #259
Keith Dickinson
Opus Editor

According to the Birding tourist's guide to Majorca - Bonnelli's are resident but rare with less than 10 individuals, whilst Pallid Harrier are down in Hearl as vagrant.
I'm there from the 14th June for 2 weeks

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 31st May 2013, 02:48   #260
Mike Montier

Pallid swift are reasonably common in Mallorca, most coastal locations with suitable rocky areas will pay off, certainly in the south there are breeding pairs all along the coastline, I have seen many from a boat trip. Porto Colom is reliable but Mondrago is too, walk down the left hand side of the first beach, font n'alis, and they are breeding in the small cave which will be obvious. You can also walk Parc Mondrago at the same time which is a good area for Tawny Pipit, Woodchat, Stone Curlew and Nightjar in the evenings. Long-eared owl too. Bonelli's Eagles were very rare indeed but there has been a re-introduction programme and several of these birds can be seen wandering the Island. There has also been a first for Mallorca, an American Golden Plover, seen at Salobrar de Campos.
Old Friday 31st May 2013, 16:26   #261
Andrew Crowder

The Pallid Harriers appear to have moved through, also RF Falcons but I,ve had a female Bonellis over the garden, along with all the normal resident raptors/vultures. Voltore Negro centre reports pair of Egyptian Vutures around Arta & Mostitx. Centre worth visting (Buger), open M W F - they need support as all their funding has ceased.
Migration is limited, not surprising but a Whiskered & GB Tern next to each other at the Depuradura was good. Bee Eaters on the road down there and a GW Egret at Albufereta.
Old Saturday 1st June 2013, 16:21   #262
honeym

Re Pallids I wasn't sure if Swifts or Harriers were meant - the same for Bonnelli's, Eagles or Warblers.

Whichever was meant, have a good trip.

Great news about the American Golden Plover and some great pics (as usual).

Martin
Old Saturday 1st June 2013, 16:47   #263
ESTEBANNIC

A couple of photos of the American Golden Plover:
http://rareresesornibalears.blogspot...de-campos.html
Old Monday 3rd June 2013, 09:24   #264
Andy Atkinson
Druridge Bayer

Hi all
Just returned from a week staying in the South near Cala D'Or. My trip was a bit more low key on the birds this time than on previous visits and for the first time I didn't even do S'albufera.

Can anyone confirm that Spring came early to Mallorca this year?? I have been at around this time before and seen orchids whereas this trip we didn't see a single plant still in flower (due to the low position of the Gulf stream over Spain for a long while ??).

Also, does anyone know if Western Orphean Warbler sightings are reasonably regular in Mallorca? I'm certain I had one (a Mallorca first for me) on 27th May in the garden of our accommodation which is normally great for all sorts of migrants. I've seen this species elsewhere and at Hartlepool Headland so I'm familiar with it. Would this be a late record normally?

Other trip highlights were a day at Cuber on 29 May with raptors: 1 Honey buzzard, 2 Golden Eagle, 1 Booted, 2 Black Vultures, 8 or 9 Griffons, 1 Red Kite + great views of Iberian Water Frog (and lots of non-native American Crayfish) below the dam and my first Scorpion (Buthus Ibericus) at Mondrago in the South. 6 Bee Eaters over the Arta Parc Natural car park on 1st June.

My usual site for breeding Alpine Swift at Castel de Santueri drew a blank but I did get Firecrest and Blue Rock Thrush but no Crag Martin either.

Cheers, Andy
Old Monday 3rd June 2013, 15:24   #265
Mike Montier

Orphean warbler is rare and I think needs a description, a great record, well done. I don't know the reason but I did not see many Orchids before I left (I have been in the USA for four weeks and missed so much) I have never seen scorpion in Mondrago and I go there nearly every day! Sounds like a good day out at Cuber, one of my favourite places. Mike.
Old Monday 3rd June 2013, 15:28   #266
Mike Montier

Ps Golden eagle is unusual, there is only one on the Island, an escape which is normally around s'Albufera.
Old Monday 3rd June 2013, 15:33   #267
Mike Montier

Looks like I got confused about Pallids, I think you meant harriers, sorry! This year has been very special for raptor migration, there have been an increasing amount of Pallid harrier coming through the Island, this year being exceptional. There is normally only one record per year, May being the best month. They will probably all have moved through by now. Record numbers of Honey buzzard this year also. Mike
Old Monday 3rd June 2013, 20:33   #268
Paul Birkin

I have been looking for trip reports for mallorca during July/August. The vast majority are for the spring and autumn migrations. Is there somewhere I can find a checklist for birds during July/August?. I hope to visit s'Albufera, Port de Pollenca, Boquer Valley and mainly Albufereta as it is near to the hotel and I will be relying on public transport to visit the rest.
Old Monday 3rd June 2013, 21:30   #269
Merlin

Hi Paul

We went in July accompanied by a motley selection of teenage and even older offspring.

We expected not to see that many birds, but given that our companions (just like at home) spent most of the time lazing about on the beach we had the daytime free for birding.

Given that July is not the greatest month for birds we were surprised to see
most of the specialities and more.
Albafueretta and Albafuerra were great and Cuber etc was as good as it could be.

Off to Greece in a couple of days so don't really have time just now for more details, send me an e mail in a couple of weeks if you need more detail.

best regards

Merlin
Old Wednesday 5th June 2013, 08:12   #270
Andy Atkinson
Druridge Bayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Orphean warbler is rare and I think needs a description, a great record, well done. I don't know the reason but I did not see many Orchids before I left (I have been in the USA for four weeks and missed so much) I have never seen scorpion in Mondrago and I go there nearly every day! Sounds like a good day out at Cuber, one of my favourite places. Mike.
Thanks for this Mike. I have been included in the Mallorca report in past years for a couple of finds but submitted my records via Graham Hearl. Where do submissions go these days? Typically one of these has just turned in Devon !

I've attached a pic of my Mondrago scorpion. I think it's Buthus Ibericus. We found it while we were turning stones for Geckos on one of the main paths in the pines past the 2nd beach. Cracking find for us. For future reference, where in Mondrago would be the best place for Tortoise species?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mondrago_scorpion.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	446690  
Old Wednesday 5th June 2013, 12:25   #271
Cock Linnet

Apparently the 'Western Orphean Warbler' reported from Newton Abbot, Devon this morning turns out to be a Lesser Whitethroat. Pity!

Keith
Old Wednesday 5th June 2013, 14:41   #272
eanin1

Paul

Last year we were there for first 2 weeks in August. Spent most of time around S'Albufera. It was a very dry summer so the pools at all the main hides were dried out. Some of the species we had were wood sandpiper, avocet, temmnicks stint, osprey, quail, booted eagle, moustached warbler, various herons and egrets, marbled duck,audoins gull etc
S'Albufera easy by bus.

regards
Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Birkin View Post
I have been looking for trip reports for mallorca during July/August. The vast majority are for the spring and autumn migrations. Is there somewhere I can find a checklist for birds during July/August?. I hope to visit s'Albufera, Port de Pollenca, Boquer Valley and mainly Albufereta as it is near to the hotel and I will be relying on public transport to visit the rest.
Old Wednesday 5th June 2013, 18:31   #273
honeym

Hi Andy

I'm no scorpion expert but I did a quick check on Fauna Europaea and http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/index.php for the scorpion species that you mention.

The former only mentions two species for the Balearic Islands, Euscorpius (Euscorpius) balearicus Di Caporiacco 1950 and Euscorpius (Tetratrichobothrius) flavicaudis (De Geer 1778).

B. ibericus was described as recently as 2004 but I've been unable to find any reference to specimens outside mainland Spain.

Whichever species it is, I think you have an interesting record.

Best wishes

Martin
Old Thursday 6th June 2013, 00:01   #274
Mike Montier

I am still in America but will post an e-mail address for bird records as soon as I get back. I can't remember offhand, but I will look it up.
Old Thursday 6th June 2013, 07:52   #275
honeym

Hi Mike

I assume that it is the one mentioned in the Birding Tourist's Guide, if so.......

a recording sheet can be requested from [email protected] and returned to the same address.

Accepted records are then published in a number of journals and GOB has published an annual summary in the Balearic Bird Report (Anuari Ornitòlogic de sa Balears) since 1991 (see http://www.gobmallorca.com/informa-t...ri-ornitologic where there is also an index by species).

Best wishes

Martin
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: