Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2014

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 86 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Monday 25th August 2014, 10:27   #526
Mike Montier

I am travelling back to Mallorca today and can't wait to be back in the action. The Cap de Ses Salines is one of the best places to be in September for migration, especially raptors. Punta de n'Amer is great too for passerines. Salobrar de Campos for waders. Hope to see some of you around the Island. Good luck to all. Mike
Old Monday 25th August 2014, 13:39   #527
honeym

Hi Mike

Have a good journey. At least you will be heading into dry warm weather!! I'm just back from birding at the London Wetland Centre where I got soaked, twice!

Looking forward to my own trip to Mallorca - I arrive next Tuesday 2 September and will be there until 2 October (flying back onthe 3rd).

I hope to visit the sites mentioned, especially Punta de n'Amer as I've not been there before.

I also hope to do almost daily reports from s'Albufera, at the very least.

Best wishes

Martin
Old Monday 25th August 2014, 14:03   #528
IanF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul - Herts View Post
Is there anywhere in walking or bus reach of Cala Bona? Doesn't seem to be much of interest - at least not that I have seen so far from searching the net. But I'm determined to find something to do other than lounge in the sun

Thanks Paul

Edit: sorry should have said we fly in this week for 7 nights
For several years we holidayed in Cala Bona and will be returning again late September this year.

I've always found plenty to see in the area just by walking and making use of the local bus services and the road train - if it's still on the go.

Costa de los Pinos is well worth checking as well - just walk from the bus terminus to the viewpoint checking the conifers and gardens. With Punta de n' Amer likewise check the conifers by the roadside as well as the whole area of scrub and coastline.

Here's a couple of links to some trip reports listing what was seen and where.

2003 report - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=9773

2005 report - http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=43277

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 25th August 2014, 15:28   #529
Paul - Herts
Paul Herts

Thanks Ian, really helpful and promising. Do you mind if I take a copy of your map with me for directions?

Paul
Old Monday 25th August 2014, 21:10   #530
honeym

Hi Ian
Very interesting reports, especially as they are from a part of the island that I've not visited for birds.
You list several Balearic rarities and a couple of unusual species so it is certainly worth a visit.
However, you may already know that your DSCN0936a (Woodchat Shrike) is actually a Pied Flycatcher and your P1050146a (Brimstone butterfly) is actually a Cleopatra.
You also mention Nuthatch, which I believe (and Mike or someone else may be able to correct me) has never been reported from Mallorca (or the Balearic Islands).
Best wishes
Martin
Old Tuesday 26th August 2014, 07:50   #531
Ben Nevis

[quote=honeym;3057651]Hi Mike

I'm just back from birding at the London Wetland Centre where I got soaked, twice!

What else would you expect Martin ?
Old Tuesday 26th August 2014, 07:52   #532
Ben Nevis

I have only been back from Mallorca for a month and am missing It already ,so I shall look forward to reading posts from Martin and Paul,as well as any others.

Looking to book for next year again.
Old Tuesday 26th August 2014, 10:09   #533
honeym

Hi
Slightly off-topic (but still Balearic) there's been a group of 6 Dotterel at the airport in Eivissa since 22 August (info per Christina on another forum). Perhaps there's a chance of some in Mallorca.
Martin
Old Tuesday 26th August 2014, 18:55   #534
Mike Montier

I hope so Martin, I still need Dotterel having chased after every sighting last year and missed them all. I hope that this time we will meet up, Mike
Old Tuesday 26th August 2014, 18:56   #535
Mike Montier

Big movements of Barn swallow this evening, large groups of young birds passing through. Mike
Old Tuesday 26th August 2014, 20:58   #536
IanF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul - Herts View Post
Thanks Ian, really helpful and promising. Do you mind if I take a copy of your map with me for directions?

Paul
No problem Paul.

As Martin points out a few of the sightings as reported are a little suspect but it gives an idea where the birds are at. Just wandering the lanes and roads behind the resort can be quite productive for birds.

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 29th August 2014, 13:24   #537
Mike Montier

At least 22 Common kestrel on the Central Plain at Villafranca this morning but sadly nothing rare in with them. Two Booted eagle and a Red kite kept them company. A good number of Barn swallows moving through so migration is in progress for the Autumn and hopefully a few surprises are on the way. Mike
Old Friday 29th August 2014, 14:10   #538
bob freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
At least 22 Common kestrel on the Central Plain at Villafranca this morning but sadly nothing rare in with them. Two Booted eagle and a Red kite kept them company. A good number of Barn swallows moving through so migration is in progress for the Autumn and hopefully a few surprises are on the way. Mike
Mike
Do the Red Footed Falcon return migrate through that area or is that only a Spring refuel for them ? it's just that I dipped on them last May but would love a second chance to catch up with them in September.

Cheers

Bob
Old Friday 29th August 2014, 14:15   #539
Mike Montier

Hi Bob, no, I have never seen Red-foot on return migration, and there don't seem to be records of them either. A few Lesser kestrels come through but nothing like in the spring. Sorry about that, I do wish they would put in another appearance but you never know I guess. Other raptors feature well but not the falcons sadly. Mike
Old Friday 29th August 2014, 17:40   #540
Mike Montier

Message for Chris! Sorry, the administration will not allow me to PM you back so am replying here. Yes, it is a bit quiet and the locals are away watching migration elsewhere which must say something. August is a very quiet month but it is all due to hot up soon, in time for your holiday I hope. Raptors are on the move and waders are arriving in good numbers so it is worth checking the marshes if you can. Loads of thrushes due, Robins, Starlings and Black Redstarts will follow and all warblers obviously worth a good look. Some seabird passage with Balearic shearwaters re-appearing early September. Check valleys for large groups of Bee-eaters and the odd Ring ouzel. Let us know what you see, Mike
Old Saturday 30th August 2014, 07:04   #541
bob freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Hi Bob, no, I have never seen Red-foot on return migration, and there don't seem to be records of them either. A few Lesser kestrels come through but nothing like in the spring. Sorry about that, I do wish they would put in another appearance but you never know I guess. Other raptors feature well but not the falcons sadly. Mike
Thanks for info Mike,looks like I will just have to get my Falcon fix down the Formentor cliffs with the Eleonora's,a bird I never tire of watching.
Hope to meet up with a few faces mid September.

Cheers

Bob
Old Monday 1st September 2014, 11:20   #542
honeym

All being well I should arrive in Mallorca tomorrow lunchtime. If picking the car up goes smoothly I should be at s'Albufera by 2pm at the latest.

It's been a long wait so hopefully there will be some nice birds to greet me.

Mothing will start that night.

Hope to bump in to some of you.

Best wishes

Martin
Old Monday 1st September 2014, 20:36   #543
Michael Schade

Hey Martin, I am really keen to hear what you see there! Looking forward to going to Albufera soon, too. Regards, Michael
Old Tuesday 2nd September 2014, 16:19   #544
Andrew Crowder

Recent trip NE Mallorca

Just back from family holiday in Buger. Was expecting it to be quiet bird wise and it was generally. Good counts of Booted eagle and migrating bee eaters, inc. one flock of 40 - biggest I've seen.

Albufera v. dry but Waterworks good - from platform one evening 8 marbled duck one way and 15+ hoopoes on a fence the other. They were all hissing at a cat strolling through the field and then all flew into a nearby tree. Over the next 15 mins were joined by 8-10 more - ?roost site.

Family argument about an unidentified owl species - are Scops still about or have they migrated?

Whilst returning hire car near airport a juvenile Namaqua Dove on telephone wire - still with some downy feathers. Local escaped breeding? anyone know the status?
Old Tuesday 2nd September 2014, 17:34   #545
Mike Montier

Hi Andrew, thanks for the information, all very welcome. The waterworks seems one of the best places to go when the main reserve is dry. Marbled duck especially good there. Hoopoes seem very numerous there too as your count demonstrates. Not all Scop's owls migrate, a good percentage stay all year so this would probably be your bird. Little owl is very rare. Migrating flocks of Bee-eater can be very large and your figure is not uncommon but still a great sight.
I have seen Namaqua dove before but I have no idea about their breeding status, I will make enquiries and let you know.
Sorry for the lack of information from me, I have taken on a full-time job just to help a friend out who needs time off and it has turned out to be seven days a week flat out. I wish I had known, I have not been birding for ages but hope she gets back to work soon! Mike
Old Tuesday 2nd September 2014, 17:55   #546
honeym

Hi Folks

Arrived at s´Albufera slightly late due to long wait for luggage and car hire. It´s very hot (30ºC in the shade when I arrived) but it´s a little cooler now (but only a little). As Andrew said, it is VERY dry. Apart from the canals there´s no water in front of any of the hides that I looked at - although there is some distant water from both Sa Roca and Es Cibollar I as could hear and see some waders.

Birds seen so far:

Little Egret at the airport
Cattle Egret and Purple Heron on the drive north
About 100 Little Ringed and a few Kentish Plover in front of Es Ras, an Osprey over plus a Wheatear and a Stonechat
Hoopoe, 2 Stone Curlew, Serins and a Whinchat in the dry field over the gate by the car park
A dozen or more Spotted Flychatchers in the works yard
One Little Egret and one Woodchat Shrike in front of Es Cibollar I, with Greenshank in the distance
Several groups of waders over Sa Roca calling but it´s not a sound I know so willbe checking xeno canto later (or tomorrow).

Heard Cetti´s and Nightingale.

The moth trap is already out and will be switched on as soon as it starts to get dark.

Best wishes

Martin

Last edited by honeym : Wednesday 3rd September 2014 at 17:41. Reason: re-id
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2014, 14:26   #547
Mike Montier

The Cap de ses Salines is the place to be at the moment, yesterday the locals saw 6 Honey buzzard, 3 Black kite, 8 Booted eagle, 3 Marsh harrier and 40 plus Bee-eaters. I managed to get a couple of hours off early this morning so I went there and saw absolutely nothing. Two Bee-eaters and a Black kite on the way home cheered me up though. Sorry for not answering some e-mails, I really am working flat out. I hope to write tonight. Mike
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2014, 17:56   #548
honeym

Having spent most of the day sorting out and identifying the contents of the moth trap, catching up with e-mails and photographing the very obliging Spotted Flycatchers outside my bedroom I finally got out to see some birds about an hour and a half ago.

Heard two Curlew calling so made my way to the Sa Roca hide, where there is now a narrow channel of water at the back left-hand side. One of them dropped in and gave good views until a female-type Marsh Harrier decided that it would also drop in. All the waders scattered but after the harrier had left they soon started to drift back. They were mainly Little Ringed Plovers but with a few Kentish mixed in, plus the Curlew (massive bill) and two Green Sandpipers. Also heard more Green Sands and Greenshank in the middle distance, where there´s a reasonable lagoon. Water Rail also called.
Several Stone Curlew were about and I counted 16. However, while I was watching from the gate by the field to the left of Sa Roca, over 60 took off (I´d always known that they were extremely good at keeping hidden!).
Two juvenile Kestrel, hunting as a pair, also scattered the smaller waders before heading off the the derelict finca near Ses Puntes.
I´ll try to up-load a couple of photos once I can work out how to resize them on a Spanish computer.
Still to see a birder of any description but then I was in the Lab most of the day.
Hopefully I´ll get to see some of the birds turning up down south - surely they must pass through somewhere.
I might try an early session tomorrow. When I got up this morning to switch off the trap it was total cloud cover and quite pleasant. Needless to say it got very hot, very soon. I´ve also picked up the first of many mozzie bites.
Martin

Last edited by honeym : Wednesday 3rd September 2014 at 19:24.
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2014, 20:15   #549
Mike Montier

Quite a coincidence, having said that Red-footed falcons don't appear here on return migration, Phil just phoned to say that he saw one in Calviá a couple of days ago, his first ever autumn bird in 20 years! Just shows, you can never tell. Mike
Old Wednesday 3rd September 2014, 20:17   #550
Paul - Herts
Paul Herts

Hi, we are back from our holiday - unfortunately. Didn't see as much as I had hoped but I did manage to get out and walk some of Ian's routes. I have attached three ropey shots of birds of prey below in the hope that somebody can identify them. I have a good idea on the 2 better images but the third shot is probably beyond all hope.

My most exciting find was Stone Curlew, a species that I haven't seen before. On Ian's map I followed the yellow route as best I could (it was near to our hotel so became an almost daily stretch for me to get away from the hotel), and walking along the road that runs behind the Cala Bona resort there is a small helicopter base used for wildfire spotting where there were up to a dozen Stone Curlew in the fields either side. I did walk the same road at dusk which I found a little unnerving as the few cars that were around did fly along but generally I felt a lot safer than I would have in the UK especially in daylight. Along this route I found Hoopoe and Turtle Dove regularly, Spotted Flycatchers absolutely everywhere, Sardinian Warbler, Woodchat Shrike further up the hill along with a well hidden Nightingale, several Cetti's warbler singing, though I didn't once see them. Goldfinches were around in numbers, a few Greenfinches and Serin, and I think Linnet. Possible Fan-tailed Warbler, only half-a-dozen Swallows in the entire week. More Spotted Flycatchers and plenty of Stonechats.

I went out for a short walk one morning and managed to wander all the way up to Costa de Los Pinos where I heard Crossbill and Chaffinch, and sat in the shade and had good views of Firecrest. Walking back along the beach I could see a few Audoin's gull and a Shag sitting on the rocks.

Did I mention the Spotted Flycatchers? I think I actually stopped looking as every bird I checked was another SF, not that that's a bad thing - I love them. I would definitely go there again but would think a couple more weeks would bring in more variety and maybe the temperatures would drop a little - it was really a bit too much for me. If I can think of anything else that I saw I will add an edit and here's the 3 BOP shots.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird of Prey 1.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	515.1 KB
ID:	512252  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird of Prey 2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	512253  Click image for larger version

Name:	Bird of Prey 3.jpg