Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2016

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 17th July 2016, 19:54   #826
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Thanks Pep. I haven't been up north recently. I look forward to meeting up with you, you can tell me all about your trip to the United States. Mike
Sorry I did a mistake, the glossy ibis chicks are close the Bishop II hide, near the egrets area.
Old Sunday 17th July 2016, 20:16   #827
Ben Nevis

Thanks Joseph. Hoping to visit tomorrow.Is Bishops11 Hide called another name as well ?
Old Monday 18th July 2016, 07:31   #828
Mike Montier

Hi Ben Nevis, glad you are going tomorrow, quite an event here in Mallorca.
No, I think Bishop one and Bishop two only have that name that I know about.
You can get a free map at reception when you check in. They are marked on the map, not too far to walk.
Good luck, do let us know. Mike
Old Monday 18th July 2016, 08:50   #829
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

La Gola Birdlist

Hello,

We have the birdlist that have been seen in La Gola the first 15 days of july.

http://www.ctolagola.com/birdlist-li...-aus/?logout=1

Regards,

Lupe
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollença
Old Monday 18th July 2016, 09:46   #830
Mike Montier

Thanks Lupe for keeping us up to date.
Most of the Common swift have departed sadly, these fabulous birds scream around every village in the evenings before leaving. I will miss them, they are here for such a short time.
A small group of Pallid swift are circling around my local port today, they leave the Island quite a bit later and sometimes they linger very late in the year.
Stitches out Friday and I will be out and about soon, the Central plain is always worth a visit for migrating harriers and later in the year for Dotterel. Mike
Old Monday 18th July 2016, 13:58   #831
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nevis View Post
Thanks Joseph. Hoping to visit tomorrow.Is Bishops11 Hide called another name as well ?
I think the "official" name now are Es Cibollar I and Es Cibollar II
Old Monday 18th July 2016, 18:09   #832
Mike Montier

Thanks Pep, I didn't know that! Hope you had a good day Ben Nevis and that my wonky directions didn't get you lost. Mike
Old Monday 18th July 2016, 18:32   #833
honeym

Hi
In case it helps:
CIM hide is now Sa Roca
Bishop I & II are, as Pep says, Es Cibollars I & II
Xisco Lillo hide (near the power station) is now Es Colombars
The 'new' hide over-looking the Sa Roca lagoon is Es Ras
I don't know the name of the hide over-looking the new lagoon below the mound.
Martin
Old Monday 18th July 2016, 20:08   #834
Ben Nevis

Thanks for everyone's help.Had a great day at śalbufera and a large variety of species was seen,Including a 10 minute spell with a Glossy Ibis at Cillobar 1 this morning,before It flew off.
Old Monday 18th July 2016, 20:10   #835
Ben Nevis

Sorry,should have read Cibollars 1.Glad to hear you're doing well Mike.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2016, 10:42   #836
Ben Nevis

A morning trip to Tucan Marsh produced Little and Great Egrets,Purple and Night Heron's,Little Grebe and a single Great crested Grebe,Black winged Stilt,Green Sandpiper,Purple Swamphen,Coots,Red crested Pochard,Mallards and best of all on a personal point of view,Little Bittern.A great wee place.

Last edited by Ben Nevis : Wednesday 20th July 2016 at 10:41.
Old Tuesday 19th July 2016, 16:39   #837
Mike Montier

Great news for Black vultures this year with 37 pairs breeding, 32 laying eggs and 25 eggs hatched.
Our thanks go to all the conservationists for their hard work and who have made this success possible. Mike
Old Tuesday 19th July 2016, 16:42   #838
Mike Montier

Hi Ben Nevis, so pleased you got Little bittern, not sure if they bred there this year but they probably did. It's all so frustrating as I am still house bound but I will be up north as soon as I can and see what other news there is. It's been a great breeding season for some species from what I can gather. Mike
Old Wednesday 20th July 2016, 19:26   #839
Andrew Crowder

Blue Tits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Hi Ben Nevis, Great tits are common throughout the Island I believe. Blue tits are quite scarce away from the mountains and I am always interested in records, I have only ever seen one here in the south-east in ten years. Michael Schade also saw one in Mondrago, so there do occur but very rarely.
I can't help with the Glossy Ibis I'm afraid but I hope someone else can.
I am making great progress but I am sorry to have missed our annual outing together, I very much enjoyed seeing you the past two years.
My stitches come out Friday but I can't drive for six weeks so I will be covering the local coast hoping for some autumn migration, these four walls are driving me mad, birders are just not meant for staying indoors. Enjoy the rest of your holiday and do keep in touch, all the best, Mike
Didn't realise records for Blue Tits were being sought. Between 7- 17 July I recorded 3 sightings in the garden of our villa in Campenet. Family type groups of Great Tits were seen on most days. Whilst I'm on I saw my first 'intermediate' phase booted eagle really close in to the house and I've seen hundreds of this fab. raptor on the island over the years.
Old Thursday 21st July 2016, 09:09   #840
Ben Nevis

Probably my last birding trip of the holiday,took me lnto Boquer Valley this morning,ln the hope of seeing the elusive Balearic Warbler and guess what ? They proved to be elusive ! Plenty Sardinian'so but no Balearic.The best birds were near he Finca with Woodchat Shrike,Serin,Cirl Bunting,Spotted Flycatcher around there. On the path ltself,were the said Sardinian's,Crag Martin,Blue rock Thrush and calling Raven's.
Old Thursday 21st July 2016, 09:30   #841
Mike Montier

Hi Andrew. Intermediate type Booted Eagles seem very rare, I too have only ever seen one. The vast majority seem to be pale morph. I don't know the numbers but it would be interesting to log all records, which I will now do, just to see the percentages. Mike
Old Thursday 21st July 2016, 09:34   #842
Mike Montier

Thanks also for your Blue tit record. I am keeping a note of all sightings away from their traditional mountain haunts. They are not thought to occur away outside the north but I have two records here in the south. I intend to produce a map of all sightings.
Hi Ben Nevis, thanks for all your reports, I hope you have had a great time. Give our love to Bonnie Scotland. Mike
Old Saturday 23rd July 2016, 09:43   #843
Steven Gale

Hello to all. I've just returned from a 10 day stay in Port de Pollenca, a family holiday which did not stop me from getting out birding a fair bit. I visited the Boquer Valley and S'Albufereta a number of times, and walked the small roads inland between those two sites, all the way to Pollenca old town (including the walk up to Puig de Maria).

All the usual suspects were seen, but thought that these additional observations might be of interest:

Quail - one singing 1km inland from S'Albufereta on 18th.
Grey Heron - a single at S'Albufereta on 14th (only one seen, don't know it's status on the island)
Common Sandpiper - single at S'Albufereta on 19th
Green Sandpiper - single at S'Albufereta on 14th
Blue Tit - Puig de Maria on 18th

I saw four 'starlings' (in silhouette) on wires at S'Albufereta on 19th. I would be appreciative of any indication as to the status of Spotless and Common at this time of year. Also, can anybody recommend the best place to obtain up to date information on the status of the birds on the island? Thanks!

I was pleased to record 21 species of butterfly, including Lang's Short-tailed Blue, Two-tailed Pasha, Striped Grayling and Plain Tiger. 3 Palm Moths (Paysandisia archon) along the Boquer Valley were spectacular. However, it was the Violet Carpenter Bees that stole the show. Images can be seen here:

http://northdownsandbeyond.blogspot....ture-post.html

I am currently reading this thread from the start, and my eyes have been opened to what an all-year round birding haven the island is. My previous visits have all been in June - Aug, but I am sorely tempted to return this autumn!

Good birding!
Old Saturday 23rd July 2016, 16:36   #844
honeym

Hi Steven
Yes, P. archon is a real pest, along with the accidentally introduced Asian Palm Weevil. P. archon is from South America in the family Castniidae. Your records from the Boquer are particularly worrying as they may have bred on the local endemic dwarf palm, the palmetto, which itself is under pressure. You did quite well with your butterfly list as there are relatively few on the island (44 at the last count, but that includes some dubious records).
One place for current status would be the Balearic Bird Report, which is published now in English (http://www.gobmallorca.com/informa-t...47-ornitologia)
Martin
Old Saturday 23rd July 2016, 18:10   #845
Steven Gale

Thanks for that Martin.
Butterfly numbers were quite disappointing, with large numbers being seen only at a run of roadside brambles somewhere NW of Alcudia (mainly Long-tailed Blues) and at a Lucerne (?) field at the bottom of Puig de Maria (mostly Common Blue). I had hoped to find Southern Hermit (I didn't) but had no idea where they occur on the island.
Kind regards,
Steve
Old Saturday 23rd July 2016, 19:25   #846
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Gale View Post
I had hoped to find Southern Hermit (I didn't) but had no idea where they occur on the island.
Kind regards,
Steve
Hi Steve
There is only one dubious record of a single Chazara prieuri from Mallorca and Fernández-Rubio (1991) stated that it required confirmation. As far as I am aware, it's never been confirmed (Pons 2000 also omits it). I have it on my list but as a dubious record.
My main interest in the Balearic Islands is the moth fauna - but I include the butterflies as being an integral part of the Lepidoptera. The moth fauna is a lot more diverse and interesting.
ps re your blog post abut archon, there are at least 2 records of it in the UK. I id'd the first one from a garden in W. Sussex but there was a second record of nine adults in the atrium of an office building in West Malling, Kent. The moths had emerged from four 5 m tall Phoenix canariensis palms that had been imported from Spain in October 2006.
Best wishes
Martin

Last edited by honeym : Saturday 23rd July 2016 at 19:46.
Old Saturday 23rd July 2016, 20:48   #847
Ben Nevis

Back home In Aberdeen now but yesterday,I had a single Eleonoras Falcon off the cliffs at Formentor Lighthouse.Seen from the water while doing a Boat Trip.Another great fortnight on a great Island and hope to return again next year and hopefully meet up with a fully fit Mr Montier.Get well soon Mike.

Missing the place already.
Old Saturday 23rd July 2016, 21:02   #848
Mike Montier

Hi Steven. Thank you for the records. Grey heron used to be a winter visitor and they mostly still are. In recent years, summering birds seem to be on the increase although I don't know why.
Common and Green sandpiper are not too unusual.
The Starlings were Spotless I feel sure. The massive numbers of wintering Common starling all depart in spring and don't return just yet. There are however a few records of Common in the summer and I believe there was a breeding record a couple of years ago of Common and Spotless inter breeding. It would be hard to be certain but I would say given the location, that your birds were Spotless.
Thanks for the Blue tit record, I will keep a note of it. Mike
Old Saturday 23rd July 2016, 21:15   #849
Mike Montier

Thanks Ben Nevis, so glad you had a great time, don't worry, I will be fully fit next year!
Do keep in touch and let me know how those wonderful Golden Eagles are getting on in Scotland. Mike
Old Saturday 23rd July 2016, 22:02   #850
Steven Gale

Many thanks for the feedback Mike.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: