Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2017

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 17:53   #1001
Ben Nevis

I arrive on Tuesday.
I'm like a child waiting for Christmas Day..!
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 18:09   #1002
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickelene View Post
Now three ruddy shelduck at maristany and water rail in the open!. Also, golden oriole at can curassa.

Thanks for all the posts. Esp Mike. I love birding in Mallorca and its always good to hear what's about.
As in Can Cuarassa restuarant? Lingered around there this afternoon for the Spotless Starlings but no joy (and nothing oriole-like); did have Great Reed Warbler behind the restaurant though.
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 18:53   #1003
Andrew Crowder

Mortitx - Saturday

First time at this site. Impressed. Firecrest & blackcap in the trees at the start, then great views of Eleonoras hunting along the valley floor. Higher up Cirl Bunting, Black & Griffon Vulture. Then, finally, a pair of Bonellis Eagle - my first on the island. I remember someone was collecting records of Blue Tit - one heard but not seen.
At the villa in Campenet a pair of Stone Curlew, the last two mornings in the field opposite - 20 metres away & a male Tree Sparrow in the garden.
Albufera awaits tomorrow!
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 19:53   #1004
Mike Montier

Thanks Pep and others for keeping us up to date, quite a lot going on.
Over the years I always believed that July and August were very quiet but I guess because of the heat, not many people venture out. Last year there was a bonanza, especially waders so the marshes are always worth a visit at this time of the year. Good luck to all birders who are coming this week, there are quite a few of you. Mike
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 20:42   #1005
Mickelene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
As in Can Cuarassa restuarant? Lingered around there this afternoon for the Spotless Starlings but no joy (and nothing oriole-like); did have Great Reed Warbler behind the restaurant though.
Yes as you go along the gravel track behind the restaurant there are some overhead wires on the left heading towards Alcudia. A few hundred yards down male oriole sat on the wire for at least twenty mins (before I moved on). I also have not seen spotless starlings here for three years now....wonder if they still appear here?

GRW a good spot!
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 20:51   #1006
Mickelene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crowder View Post
First time at this site. Impressed. Firecrest & blackcap in the trees at the start, then great views of Eleonoras hunting along the valley floor. Higher up Cirl Bunting, Black & Griffon Vulture. Then, finally, a pair of Bonellis Eagle - my first on the island. I remember someone was collecting records of Blue Tit - one heard but not seen.
At the villa in Campenet a pair of Stone Curlew, the last two mornings in the field opposite - 20 metres away & a male Tree Sparrow in the garden.
Albufera awaits tomorrow!
Love Mortitx. Ive only ever seen Bonelli's Eagles from a long way off. Did you get good views, and where from?
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 21:10   #1007
Mike Montier

I have seen Spotless Starlings this year a few times at Can Cuarassa on the wires so they are around.
Also, whilst on the subject, I have seen Starling species from the car whilst driving, particularly around the airport but in other places too. I can't say for sure which species they were but I don't see why they would only breed at one site on the Island. Any news on other sites would be appreciated. Mike
Old Sunday 2nd July 2017, 21:16   #1008
Mickelene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
I have seen Spotless Starlings this year a few times at Can Cuarassa on the wires so they are around.
Also, whilst on the subject, I have seen Starling species from the car whilst driving, particularly around the airport but in other places too. I can't say for sure which species they were but I don't see why they would only breed at one site on the Island. Any news on other sites would be appreciated. Mike
Thanks Mike
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 09:44   #1009
Luke Nash
Young Birder

Quote:
Now three ruddy shelduck at maristany and water rail in the open!. Also, golden oriole at can curassa.

Thanks for all the posts. Esp Mike. I love birding in Mallorca and its always good to hear what's about.
Wow! Those storms certainly kicked things up!

May I ask whereabouts Maristany is? Have not been able to find it on any maps...

Many thanks.
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 09:58   #1010
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Hello Luke!
Maristany is in Alc˙dia, near the roundabout where the Burger King is. Also Hydropark.
If I'm not wrong it's known as Tukan Marsh for foreign birders.

https://www.google.es/maps/place/39%C2%B050'26.8%22N+3%C2%B007'17.0%22E/@39.8407921,3.1192113,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d39.840788!4d3.1214

Cheers,
Cristina
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollenša
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 10:01   #1011
LaGola
Ornithological tourism center

Quote:
Sure Cristina, you can always share any of my photos. Mike
Thank you very much Mike!
Carrer Temple Fielding, s/n - 07470 Port de Pollenša
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 12:27   #1012
Luke Nash
Young Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGola View Post
Hello Luke!
Maristany is in Alc˙dia, near the roundabout where the Burger King is. Also Hydropark.
If I'm not wrong it's known as Tukan Marsh for foreign birders.

https://www.google.es/maps/place/39%C2%B050'26.8%22N+3%C2%B007'17.0%22E/@39.8407921,3.1192113,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d39.840788!4d3.1214

Cheers,
Cristina
Brilliant, thanks Christina!
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 14:54   #1013
StewB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Nash View Post
Wow! Those storms certainly kicked things up!

May I ask whereabouts Maristany is? Have not been able to find it on any maps...

Many thanks.
Hi Luke,

If you come off the roundabout with the Lidl store on your left there's a left turn immediately after Lidl. You can turn here and park almost immediately, on the tarmac before the track starts. you can view the pools as you walk down the track.

Stew
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 15:01   #1014
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Spotless starlings

Quote:
I can't say for sure which species they were but I don't see why they would only breed at one site on the Island. Any news on other sites would be appreciated. Mike
Hello Mike
There are a big colony of spotless sterlings breeding in this abandoned Coronado inside the airport of Palma
https://goo.gl/maps/1Uzt1wuH7FL2

Also in the closer Son Oms Industrial area, on the roofs of some buildings
https://goo.gl/maps/qmWTSW6XSmF2

There are also in the proximity of Palma prison, in the road from Palma to Soller; and also near the Bassa of Can Guided, a very good area for birding with a terrify surrondings. It is near Palma and the Airport and it is the number 49 in the Majorca Birding Map (75 best birding points).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11mallorca-birding-map2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	632274  
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 15:09   #1015
Andrew Crowder

Albufera then....

Yes it was hot but well worth it. Highlights: Nesting Glossy Ibis in amongst the egret colony. Is there a count for these birds this year? They seemed to be everywhere. We saw 8 in the air at one time and that doesn't include the nest or the singles & pairs flying just before or after.
At Sa Roca the Western Reef Egret was showing well from the mound but we couldn't pick it up from the hides, so no photos - shame, that is some bird! also a spotted redshank and two Wood Sandpiper were a mild surprise.
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 15:16   #1016
Andrew Crowder

We saw them from just below Lavanor - reasonable distance for viewing & id ( for eagles!) although it was a short encounter. Signs said no progress beyond that area to Ses Basses atm - protecting breeding sites? - so we turned back & picked them up immediately soaring in front of the cliff face looking ktowards the sea
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 15:22   #1017
Andrew Crowder

Quote:
Love Mortitx. Ive only ever seen Bonelli's Eagles from a long way off. Did you get good views, and where from?
We saw them from just below Lavanor - reasonable distance for viewing & id ( for eagles!) although it was a short encounter. Signs said no progress beyond that area to Ses Basses atm - protecting breeding sites? - so we turned back & picked them up immediately soaring in front of the cliff face looking ktowards the sea
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 15:26   #1018
doody

I visited Mallorca for a short break last week. There was no sign of the Western Reef Heron from Sa Roca hide on 26th. I was told by the warden that it had not been seen for 10 to 12 days. Same day I had three juvenile Balearic Warblers at the end of the Boquer just above the bay. On 27th I had a female Montoli`s Warbler at Cuber just beyond the quarry showing well & calling all the time. Same day amongst three Griffons was an interesting looking vulture that may possibly have been the Ruppell`s [if it`s still there]. Looked pretty good to me though no previous experience of the species & I wish I had given it more attention at the time. Too intent on seeing a Moltoni`s to my regret.
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 15:49   #1019
Luke Nash
Young Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doody View Post
Same day amongst three Griffons was an interesting looking vulture.
Could you give a brief description as to what it looked like when compared to the Griffons? Think Ruppell's are about 10% smaller & have darker coverts.
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 16:26   #1020
Barred Wobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Nash View Post
Could you give a brief description as to what it looked like when compared to the Griffons? Think Ruppell's are about 10% smaller & have darker coverts.
Caution is needed in identifying Ruppell's, because some griffons exhibit coverts as dark as many Ruppell's.

The size difference may be noticeable between two adjacent vultures, but with birds separated by any distance or in a single bird it isn't obvious.

This vulture, photographed in 2012 near the Strait of Gibraltar, with its dark and un-contrasting plumage and clean edges to the very pale under-wing marking was originally identified by myself and later by others who are very familiar with the species as a Ruppell's but further examination showed it to be a dark griffon. I've seen quite a few real Ruppell's on my regular autumn trip to the Strait, but I now look at them extra hard.

Further inspection shows that although its dark plumage and darker head looked good, the head is actually too large, the wing (arm/hand) proportions don't look right, the body is too bulky and the tail looks too long.

This photo was actually used as an example of a confusion species for Ruppell's in an article (in English) in Dutch Birding (Vol38, No 6) by Javi Elorriaga and Guillermo Rodriguez 'Identification of Ruppell's Vulture and White-backed Vulture and vagrancy in the WP'.

EDIT. A bit of additional information. At first I took the additional white bars on the underwing to be a sign that it was a 2nd year bird, because information was limited beyond saying that additional white bars develop as the birds age beyond the first year birds I'd seen until then. In fact close inspection shows the white ruff of an adult griffon.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ruppell's-(10)-(mis-ided---it's-actually-a-dark-griffon)fbook.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	632291  

Last edited by Barred Wobbler : Monday 3rd July 2017 at 18:11.
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 16:28   #1021
Mickelene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crowder View Post
Great. Many thanks and good birding for rest of the week...
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 19:31   #1022
Mike Montier

Thank you Pep for the very detailed information on the breeding Spotless Starlings, I knew they were around the airport so it's nice to know exactly where.
Thank you also Barred Wobbler for your really interesting experiences with Griffon v Ruppell's vultures, I have no experience of Ruppell's but did see a strange Griffon once so this information will be a great help to us all. Mike
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 19:51   #1023
doody

I have to say I`m not confident enough to say it was a Ruppell`s. Stupid really but my main mission on this trip was to possitively identify a Moltoni`s. I`m sorry but this really is a rubbish description. The four vultures appeared over the ridge, three definite Griffons the other as I said looked interesting [i.e. different]. Overall it appeared to have a darker ground to the underwings but with pale feathers to the coverts [described in my notes at the time as "blotchy/spotted"]. The underbody also appeared to be streaked with pale feathers & I noted that the size appeared a little smaller than the Griffons though difficult to judge accurately. The bird soared with wings held in a very shallow "v". The wedge shaped tail looked extremely short which may have been exagerated by the broad wings [bulging secondaries]. It would certainly not have been in adult plumage. The obvious detail missing from this description I realise is no mention of the "diagnostic" white forewing line. As I said I regret not taking sufficient notice of it at the time intent on seeing a Moltoni`s which I am pleased to say I eventually did. So no way can I claim the bird as a Ruppell`s but anyone visiting Cuber should bear in mind the possiblity of the Ruppell`s being still around and I would be interested in any reports of it over the next few weeks.
Old Monday 3rd July 2017, 22:17   #1024
Barred Wobbler

A juvenile Ruppell's with a more typical griffon here, photographed Sept 2015 at the Algarrobo watchpoint, Algeciras.

Ruppell's to my eye usually has a compact, 'rakish' look about it. The jizz is somehow different.

NB. Other shots in this sequence show that the griffon is a bit lower and therefore closer to the camera than the Ruppell's, so the size difference is a bit exaggerated here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ruppell's-(17)-800web.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	632359  

Last edited by Barred Wobbler : Monday 3rd July 2017 at 22:37.
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 06:25   #1025
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Brief visit to Depuradora de S'Illot / San Bosc yesterday afternoon produced Purple Heron, many young Shelduck and BW Stilt, 2 Marbled Duck, 4 Green Sand, good numbers of Yellow Wag, at least 7 Bee-eaters, a family party of RL Partridge, Tree Sparrow, Short-toed Lark, several Tawny Pipits posing nicely on the roadside fences and a flock of a dozen Spotless Starling (from viewing platform look south in line with the orange bladed wind pump).

Wish it had clicked that Marinstay was Tucan Marsh - drove right by it!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: