Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2017

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 07:55   #1026
doody

vulture at cuber

All good points you make and I would say the jizz of the Ruppell`s in your photo reminds me more of my bird though I`m well aware that the mind plays tricks with you. The diagnostic pale line to the leading edge of the wing is so obvious & I was well aware of this feature prior to seeing my bird but I did not record this at the time. You would think after 50 odd years birding I`d take detailed field notes or run off a record photo though with my idiot camera at the height the bird was it would be little use. I did not get my scope on the bird just my bins. One of those birds I`ll no doubt agonise over until I finally see a "good one." Thanks for your comments which are very much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barred Wobbler View Post
A juvenile Ruppell's with a more typical griffon here, photographed Sept 2015 at the Algarrobo watchpoint, Algeciras.

Ruppell's to my eye usually has a compact, 'rakish' look about it. The jizz is somehow different.

NB. Other shots in this sequence show that the griffon is a bit lower and therefore closer to the camera than the Ruppell's, so the size difference is a bit exaggerated here.
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 08:19   #1027
Andrew Crowder

Quote:
Originally Posted by doody View Post
I visited Mallorca for a short break last week. There was no sign of the Western Reef Heron from Sa Roca hide on 26th. I was told by the warden that it had not been seen for 10 to 12 days. Same day I had three juvenile Balearic Warblers at the end of the Boquer just above the bay. On 27th I had a female Montoli`s Warbler at Cuber just beyond the quarry showing well & calling all the time. Same day amongst three Griffons was an interesting looking vulture that may possibly have been the Ruppell`s [if it`s still there]. Looked pretty good to me though no previous experience of the species & I wish I had given it more attention at the time. Too intent on seeing a Moltoni`s to my regret.
One of the disappointments of Albufera is the lack of updated sightings - there doesn't seem to be the same culture of encouraging & reporting information. Sometimes this is combined with indifference of at least some of the staff - several years back I reported a WW Black Tern flying around Sa Roca to be told that wasn't possible. I guess we're a bit spoilt at many reserves in the U.K.
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 08:35   #1028
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Quote:
Same day I had three juvenile Balearic Warblers at the end of the Boquer just above the bay.
I too had a family party of Balearic Warbler in the Boquer last week at the far seaward end, by the pillbox on the western sie of the valley
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 08:36   #1029
Barred Wobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crowder View Post
One of the disappointments of Albufera is the lack of updated sightings - there doesn't seem to be the same culture of encouraging & reporting information. Sometimes this is combined with indifference of at least some of the staff - several years back I reported a WW Black Tern flying around Sa Roca to be told that wasn't possible. I guess we're a bit spoilt at many reserves in the U.K.
Watching a white-winged black tern in Northumberland a couple of days ago I remarked that I'd found two for myself, but they were both in Spain; one on the Ebro Delta and another at Salinas de Cerrillos in Almeria.

I suspect that the species may be more common than many realise on spring migration.
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 10:13   #1030
Mike Montier

Four Red-rumped swallows at Salobrar de Campos seems unseasonal for migrants, maybe they are breeding? I have also seen singles at Albufereta, Santanyi and the Depuradora, Albufera. I don't know of any confirmed breeding though.
The photograph of the Ruppell's Vulture with a Griffon is really useful, thanks for posting. There are several marked differences which will help anyone spotting this bird at Cuber, We will now know what to look for, Mike
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 10:38   #1031
Mike Montier

I don't have the facts to back it up, but there seem to be far less Turtle doves this year. I have just been looking at one through my scope and what a beautiful bird it is. How anyone could blast these lovely doves out of the sky just for fun is beyond me. I guess some people are still living in the Stone Age. Mike
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 10:59   #1032
Mickelene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
I don't have the facts to back it up, but there seem to be far less Turtle doves this year. I have just been looking at one through my scope and what a beautiful bird it is. How anyone could blast these lovely doves out of the sky just for fun is beyond me. I guess some people are still living in the Stone Age. Mike
I agree Mike. Beyond belief in a modern world....a few weeks ago I was watching hen harriers on Isle of Arran - there are more breeding pairs on that small island than in the whole of England! This is just the clearest evidence of systematic persecution by idiots for short term gain. Hopefully same does not happen here with Turtle doves.
To stay positive, Mallorca is just stunning for its diversity of bird life, and you're very lucky to live here with these magnificent creatures on your doorstep.
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 11:59   #1033
doody

I was pleasantly surprised with the birds I had at this supposedly quiet time in Mallorca. It was good to be able to get to grips with Balearic Woodchat & Balearic Flycatcher [at ultra close range even on the flagged footpaths centre of Porto Pollensa]. Breeding Wryneck at the nest at entrance to Boquer & one bird I forgot to mention in my first post - Marbled Duck [juvenile or female] the moment I entered Sa Roca hide, it just flew in, landed on the water in the distance then within half a minute drifted behind vegetation & that was it. Typical view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
I too had a family party of Balearic Warbler in the Boquer last week at the far seaward end, by the pillbox on the western sie of the valley
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 18:04   #1034
Phil Andrews

Quote:
I was pleasantly surprised with the birds I had at this supposedly quiet time in Mallorca. It was good to be able to get to grips with Balearic Woodchat & Balearic Flycatcher [at ultra close range even on the flagged footpaths centre of Porto Pollensa]. Breeding Wryneck at the nest at entrance to Boquer & one bird I forgot to mention in my first post - Marbled Duck [juvenile or female] the moment I entered Sa Roca hide, it just flew in, landed on the water in the distance then within half a minute drifted behind vegetation & that was it. Typical view.
I missed a few things when I went up Boquer last week in the thunderstorms - whereabouts was the Wryneck as will have another go early morning later in the week
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 18:07   #1035
Phil Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickelene View Post
Now three ruddy shelduck at maristany and water rail in the open!. Also, golden oriole at can curassa.

Thanks for all the posts. Esp Mike. I love birding in Mallorca and its always good to hear what's about.
2 Ruddy Shelduck still present today at Maristany - cracking little spot

Other birds present included 2+ Purple Gallinule, 3 Purple Heron, LR Plover, Wood Sand, several Yellow Wag, very good numbers of Coot and Moorhen, Little Grebe, GC Grebe, Pochard, Red-crested Pochard, Gadwall, Audouin's Gull, YL Gull and at least three singing Great Reed Warblers

Last edited by Phil Andrews : Tuesday 4th July 2017 at 18:26.
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 18:30   #1036
Phil Andrews

Quote:
Brief visit to Depuradora de S'Illot / San Bosc yesterday afternoon produced Purple Heron, many young Shelduck and BW Stilt, 2 Marbled Duck, 4 Green Sand, good numbers of Yellow Wag, at least 7 Bee-eaters, a family party of RL Partridge, Tree Sparrow, Short-toed Lark, several Tawny Pipits posing nicely on the roadside fences and a flock of a dozen Spotless Starling (from viewing platform look south in line with the orange bladed wind pump).
Was tempted back for another visit this afternoon - generally similar fare with the following variations:

Sandpiper numbers increased to 15 on the basin nearest the viewing platform - 10 Green and 5 Wood, Avocet seen distantly mobbing a Marsh Harrier, even better views of a pair of Tawny Pipit on the fence, revised estimate of 10-12 Bee-eaters along the track, Short-toed Lark, Audouin's Gull, 2 Stone Curlew and a further 2 calling.
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 18:30   #1037
Mike Montier

Thanks Mickelene, I do feel very lucky to live here, it's all very exciting too because there are now many more locals taking up birding and it is great to be part of what is happening here. More surprises are being discovered all the time because of the increase in people looking.
I have been birding a few times in Arran, what a great place with a few Golden Eagles seen there. I may be going back later in the year. All the best, Mike
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 18:35   #1038
phil turney

Boquer Wryneck

The Wryneck (or two) was seen on the left hand side of the Boquer farm track. Before you reach the main locked gate (the one with the l/h sub gate) there is a metal gate set between two high pillars. The gates have newly repaired hinges and is padlocked. Looking directly ahead about five metres is a scruffy tallish thin tree with a few obvious golden yellow dead leaves at it's centre. The Wryneck was very active in this tree. A fellow observer heard another bird off to the left. Also in view was the Woodchat Shrike perched on the right hand side of the tree and a Hoopoe was in front on the ground.
Phil
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 20:22   #1039
Phil Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil turney View Post
The Wryneck (or two) was seen on the left hand side of the Boquer farm track. Before you reach the main locked gate (the one with the l/h sub gate) there is a metal gate set between two high pillars. The gates have newly repaired hinges and is padlocked. Looking directly ahead about five metres is a scruffy tallish thin tree with a few obvious golden yellow dead leaves at it's centre. The Wryneck was very active in this tree. A fellow observer heard another bird off to the left. Also in view was the Woodchat Shrike perched on the right hand side of the tree and a Hoopoe was in front on the ground.
Phil
Many thanks Phil

On Mike's earlier observation re Turtle Dove, the only place I have encountered them in the 11 days I have been on the island is around the south-eastern viewing platform at Albufereta
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 20:42   #1040
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Crowder View Post
Hi Andrew
to be fair on the staff at s'Albufera (who manage under extreme conditions not known to most visitors) I think a little background information might be helpful.
The main reason that there have been no lists of recent sightings, as there used to be, is the fact that all the Parc Naturalists in the Balearics were sacked several years ago. It was they who compiled the list - and did a lot of other essential biological recording. Also many visiting birders don't bother to report their unusual sightings to the reception staff - who mainly have to deal with hundreds of non-birding tourists during their working day. I know most of them and they are usually most helpful.
As for your WWBT sighting, I can't offer an explanation. It is, however, an uncommon passage migrant on Mallorca.
Martin
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 20:46   #1041
Luke Nash
Young Birder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
I remember when we went in 2015, we only saw two: one from the Palma-Inca motorway & one at Cala Murta on Formentor.

Last edited by Luke Nash : Tuesday 4th July 2017 at 20:46. Reason: Grammatical error
Old Tuesday 4th July 2017, 21:09   #1042
Mike Montier

Thanks everyone for all your posts, really good to know what is being seen, especially as I can't get out at the moment.
I am coming up north next Monday so I will look in on all your sites and hope most of the birds are still there. Mike
Old Wednesday 5th July 2017, 07:24   #1043
doody

It was at the entrance just to the left of the gates. If I recall there are two very tall palms & the birds appear to be nesting in the top of the left hand one. The bird I saw was calling quite frequently. It was also in a dead tree looking down the hill with the farmhouse at your back immediately after passing through the gate. Seen on two consecutive visits.

Quote:
I missed a few things when I went up Boquer last week in the thunderstorms - whereabouts was the Wryneck as will have another go early morning later in the week
Old Wednesday 5th July 2017, 10:35   #1044
Phil Andrews

A quick opportunistic trip to the start of the Boquer Valley with my youngest whilst the wife and eldest were at the medical centre resulted in Hoopoe and the target species, Wryneck. The latter was calling from the dead top of a bush on the hillside side of the path, just before the first gate. Many thanks to Mickelene for the loan of his bins
Old Wednesday 5th July 2017, 12:15   #1045
Mickelene

Quote:
A quick opportunistic trip to the start of the Boquer Valley with my youngest whilst the wife and eldest were at the medical centre resulted in Hoopoe and the target species, Wryneck. The latter was calling from the dead top of a bush on the hillside side of the path, just before the first gate. Many thanks to Mickelene for the loan of his bins
Great to meet you this morning Phil. I pressed on into the boquer and saw a couple of crag martin amongst a throng of house martins. Also, very good views of two Eleanoras circling in the lower part of the valley up to twin rocks. No sight or sound of blue rock thrush..

Have a good trip to mortitx.
Old Wednesday 5th July 2017, 14:05   #1046
Mickelene

Quote:
Great to meet you this morning Phil. I pressed on into the boquer and saw a couple of crag martin amongst a throng of house martins. Also, very good views of two Eleanoras circling in the lower part of the valley up to twin rocks. No sight or sound of blue rock thrush..

Thanks also to Doody and Phil Turney for wryneck details.
Old Thursday 6th July 2017, 06:09   #1047
Phil Andrews

Quote:

Didn't make it to Mortitx as I was lumbered with child care duties - instead I forced myself to do two circuits of Cuber Reservoir with the pram. It was absolute hell being forced to look at Black Vulture, Griffon Vulture, Red Kite, Booted Eagle, Eleonora's Falcon, Raven, Cirl Bunting, Crag Martins (feeding below me at the dam), Firecrest, Nightingale, Blue Rock Thrush (heard only) and of course Moltoni's Warbler. I found the latter surprisingly easy - two birds were on the opposite side of the road to the car park as soon as I got out of the car with probably at least three (and probably four) others in the stretch from the dam to a point 150 metres eastwards including an very young juveniles. Only water birds were a few YL Gulls and 2 Little Ringed Plover. Spectacular drive from Pollensa

Is Mortitx feasible pushing a pram?
Old Thursday 6th July 2017, 08:19   #1048
Ben Nevis

An early morning walk up Boquer did not produce the hoped for Wryneck,nor any raptors.Hoopoe down from the Finca,Crag Martins showing well and then the star of the show,a Balearic Warbler ln the short vegetation to the left of the track before you head down to sea.
Old Thursday 6th July 2017, 08:24   #1049
Ben Nevis

Forgot to mention,Sardinian Warblers ln abundance ln Boquer also.
Old Thursday 6th July 2017, 08:27   #1050
Mickelene

Quote:
Didn't make it to Mortitx as I was lumbered with child care duties - instead I forced myself to do two circuits of Cuber Reservoir with the pram..........

Is Mortitx feasible pushing a pram?
Sorry Phil, I think the first bit down to the vineyard would be difficult, the Mortitx path is nowhere near as good as cuber, and then you'd have to lug the pram over a very tall and steep stile.

What a fabulous haul you got at cuber! Delighted you picked up the cirl as you said it was one of your targets. Also you've inspired me to go and try for the moltoni's - I've never seen one.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: