Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2017

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 6th July 2017, 08:33   #1051
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Ta for the advice Mickelene - Cuber worth it for the Crag Martins alone!
Old Thursday 6th July 2017, 11:52   #1052
Andrew Crowder

Depuadora - Albufera

Bee eaters on the road in - population looks the most healthy I ve seen in quite a few years. Highlights from the platform - Peregrine, Eleonoras, Osprey, Spotless Starling, 4 Green & 1 Common Sandpiper. 2 female pochard & 1 Gadwall were unexpected. There maybe a a second Gadwall, dead on the bank. On one of the platforms there are 4 dead BH gulls - none appear predated so something appears to be on a killing spree or they've all succumbed to some poison or toxin?
Back in Campanet, a Stonechat visited the garden this morning and just had the first Booted Eagle circling low above our heads. Last night a LE Owl put in a brief appearance
Old Thursday 6th July 2017, 14:21   #1053
Phil Andrews

2 Ruddy Shelduck still at Marinstay this afternoon - fuller update later
Old Thursday 6th July 2017, 20:53   #1054
Mickelene

Four marsh harriers, kestrel, green s/pipers, comm s/piper,hoopoe, tawny pipit, thekla lark, woodchat shrike at depuradora. Red kite nearby. Dead birds mentioned by others are very strange....
bee - eaters are an absolute delight.
However, the strangest spot of the day was after turning off main Pollensa - Port Poll road to Cala st Vincenc at 10.00 pm ish. After 100 m a pine marten ran in front of the car. Whole family got a clear look. Had no idea there were any on the island. Does anyone know whether there's a breeding population?
Old Thursday 6th July 2017, 21:39   #1055
Mike Montier

Hi Mickelene, yes, there is a resident population of Pine Marten in Mallorca. I don't have any figures but I do see them fairly regularly in most parts of the Island. I'm not sure where to find statistics for the total numbers but it must be considerable. I even saw one recently in my local Parc Mondrago. I will see if I can find out any more but if anyone knows anything, perhaps they would kindly post here. Thanks. Mike
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 08:19   #1056
honeym

Here's the abstract of a paper in Mammal Review 23(2):65 - 72 (depending who you read it was published either in 1993 or in 2008!).
"Between March and December 1990, a survey of Pine Marten Martes martes L. on the Balearic Islands of Minorca and Majorca was carried out. Pine Marten were found distributed over 55% of Minorca and occupied Aleppo Pine and Holm Oak forests, mediterranean shrublands and riparian/ cliff habitats. In Majorca, Pine Marten were found on 48% of the island and three broad physiographic areas, the Sierra de Tramuntana, Sierra de Levant and the Massif de Randa. Droppings were collected along four designated routes during five bimonthly intervals in Minorca to describe the Pine Marten's differential use of habitat types. The upland/open pine forest had the highest use index while the Holm Oak forest had the lowest. The number of Pine Marten faeces collected was greatest during the months of July-August. The Balearic Island Pine Marten populations were once on the verge of extinction; however, protection during the last 20 years has enabled the species to recover throughout most of the forested habitats on both islands. Resource managers must carefully monitor the Pine Marten populations to provide the species and its habitat with adequate protection and management in the future.".
Clearly things have changed a bit since then with sighting, like Mike's, in other places.
In all the years I've been going to Mallorca I've never actually seen on alive.
The same article was mentioned previously in message #290.
Martin

Last edited by honeym : Friday 7th July 2017 at 08:27.
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 11:29   #1057
Mickelene

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
Here's the abstract of a paper in Mammal Review 23(2):65 - 72 (depending who you read it was published either in 1993 or in 2008!).
"Between March and December 1990, a survey of Pine Marten Martes martes L. on the Balearic Islands of Minorca and Majorca was carried out. Pine Marten were found distributed over 55% of Minorca and occupied Aleppo Pine and Holm Oak forests, mediterranean shrublands and riparian/ cliff habitats. In Majorca, Pine Marten were found on 48% of the island and three broad physiographic areas, the Sierra de Tramuntana, Sierra de Levant and the Massif de Randa. Droppings were collected along four designated routes during five bimonthly intervals in Minorca to describe the Pine Marten's differential use of habitat types. The upland/open pine forest had the highest use index while the Holm Oak forest had the lowest. The number of Pine Marten faeces collected was greatest during the months of July-August. The Balearic Island Pine Marten populations were once on the verge of extinction; however, protection during the last 20 years has enabled the species to recover throughout most of the forested habitats on both islands. Resource managers must carefully monitor the Pine Marten populations to provide the species and its habitat with adequate protection and management in the future.".
Clearly things have changed a bit since then with sighting, like Mike's, in other places.
In all the years I've been going to Mallorca I've never actually seen on alive.
The same article was mentioned previously in message #290.
Martin

Thanks Mike and Martin,
Very interesting and widespread sightings bode well for this beautiful creature - and the diversity of the ecosystem that sustains it. Brilliant!
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 14:19   #1058
Mickelene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Ta for the advice Mickelene - Cuber worth it for the Crag Martins alone!
Thanks Phil, got hooked up with 4 or 5 moltonis and the craggies. Spectacular place.
Also, Mike M might be interested in sighting of four blue tits in the gorge below dam.
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 14:26   #1059
Mike Montier

As always Martin, very many thanks. I really don't know how you do it. This thread would be much poorer without your input. I bet you've got a considerable library! Mike
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 14:47   #1060
Luke Nash
Young Birder

Flying out tomorrow for a week- can't wait to be back here. I'm touching down in Palma at 9:30, meaning I will hopefully be able to have the afternoon out birding.

I note that the Western Reef Egret hasn't been seen for a few days- has anyone had any reports?

Many thanks once again!
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 15:35   #1061
yens

As always, I seem to find the best resources on my way home... But at least I found the tips here yesterday, so I saw Moltoni's warbler at Cuber and Bonelli's Eagle at Mortitx today!

Regarding the Bonelli's Eagles, I assume they are well "taken care of" when it comes to info about them, otherwise, please let me know who to contact. I have a few photos with leg rings possible to identify and some other input perhaps.

So tomorrow I'll be leaving the island, many thanks for all input here, and hi again to those of you that I have been fortunate enough to run into over the last days. :-)

/Jens, the guy from Sweden
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 16:34   #1062
Mickelene

Quote:
Originally Posted by yens View Post
As always, I seem to find the best resources on my way home... But at least I found the tips here yesterday, so I saw Moltoni's warbler at Cuber and Bonelli's Eagle at Mortitx today!

Regarding the Bonelli's Eagles, I assume they are well "taken care of" when it comes to info about them, otherwise, please let me know who to contact. I have a few photos with leg rings possible to identify and some other input perhaps.

So tomorrow I'll be leaving the island, many thanks for all input here, and hi again to those of you that I have been fortunate enough to run into over the last days. :-)

Nice to meet you today Jens. We met at Cuber Dam, thanks for the tip on the Moltoni's. Spot on. Well done also on connecting with Bonelli's eagles.
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 16:56   #1063
Phil Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickelene View Post
Thanks Phil, got hooked up with 4 or 5 moltonis and the craggies. Spectacular place.
Also, Mike M might be interested in sighting of four blue tits in the gorge below dam.
Whereabouts were the Moltonis today out of interest?
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 16:58   #1064
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by yens View Post

Hi Jens nice to meet you yesterday at the entrance to Boquer.
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 17:05   #1065
Mike Montier

Hi Yens, if you could let me have details of the Bonelli's I would appreciate it. I can pass on the sightings to Carlota who monitors the birds throughout the Island. Thanks, Mike
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 17:20   #1066
Mickelene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Andrews View Post
Whereabouts were the Moltonis today out of interest?
Left hand side of gorge below dam, approx 150 yards along the path. Also, at the bend of the main track one very small individual, calling and out in the open on the ground which I took to be a fledgling waiting for parents to return. Left it well alone....

Back to Newcastle tomorrow after a great hol and a few opportunistic breaks for birding. Thoroughly enjoyable and will be back as soon as I can. Good to meet you Phil.
Old Friday 7th July 2017, 19:39   #1067
yens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Hi Yens, if you could let me have details of the Bonelli's I would appreciate it. I can pass on the sightings to Carlota who monitors the birds throughout the Island. Thanks, Mike
Great, I'll compile some pics and info when I get back to Sweden. The weather right now seems to give time for that... I'll send it to you and you can forward, and filter and publish whatever is suitable for this page. :-)
Old Saturday 8th July 2017, 16:18   #1068
Patrick_m

Yesterday morning visit at Sa Roca, s'Albufera, was quiet. Of note, about 30 Starlings paid a brief visit to the field next to the hide. A couple Spotted Redshanks were hiding right at the back of the marsh. Glossy Ibis on the wing, moorhen with chicks, and what I take to be a Water Pipit, see photos. I thought they would be all gone by now and I am not sure what to make of the lack of breast markings and dark crown above the supercilium. A Juvenile?

Went on to Maristany where I failed to connect with the Ruddy Shelduck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterPipit.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	473.7 KB
ID:	632719  Click image for larger version

Name:	WaterPipit-2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	438.1 KB
ID:	632720  
Old Saturday 8th July 2017, 17:32   #1069
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_m View Post
and what I take to be a Water Pipit, see photos. I thought they would be all gone by now and I am not sure what to make of the lack of breast markings and dark crown above the supercilium. A Juvenile?
Hi Patrick, I guess it is a young Yellow Wagtail
Old Saturday 8th July 2017, 17:49   #1070
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_m View Post

Went on to Maristany where I failed to connect with the Ruddy Shelduck.
Both Ruddy Shelduck were there at 9.30am,when l popped ln for 5 minutes.Also a Great crested Grebe,which may or may not be unusual.
Old Saturday 8th July 2017, 18:17   #1071
yens

Yesterday's Bonelli

So now I have sent some input regarding the Bonelli's I saw yesterday at Mortitx. Here is one of the birds that passed just over my head on my walk along the track. Thanks everyone for the great responses here!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bonelli1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	632724  
Old Saturday 8th July 2017, 20:31   #1072
red-rumped swallow

S'Albufera Nature Reserve.

Birds seen at this sight on 1st and again on 4th July 2017.

Crested Coot, Avocet, Little Tern, Collared Dove, Little Bittern, Little Egret, Cattle Egret, Squacco Heron, Grey Heron, Purple Heron, Glossy Ibis, Marbled Duck, Marsh Harrier, Peregrine Falcon, Purple Gallinule, Coot, Ringed Plover, Little Ringed Plover, Kentish Plover, Common Sandpiper, Black Winged Stilt, Stone Curlew, Common Tern, Swift, Beeater x4, Hoopoe, Barn Swallow, Yellow Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, Starling, Sardinian Warbler, Nightingale, Blackbird, House Sparrow, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Corn Bunting and Spotted Flycatcher.

Once photos have been sorted i will post a few pics on the forum.

Thanks and happy birding, Pete.
Old Saturday 8th July 2017, 20:45   #1073
Patrick_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josep Manchado View Post
Hi Patrick, I guess it is a young Yellow Wagtail
Thanks Pep, I can see that now.
Old Sunday 9th July 2017, 05:48   #1074
yens

Help with ID?

Hello again! I can't really let go of Mallorca yet, so I'll hang around with some ID-questions.

I'll start with a warbler that I found at S'Albufera about a week ago. It was sitting where the road turns sharp left over the bridge where bikes are supposed to go slow about 700 meters from the main gate.

First I thought it was a Reed Warbler, since the singing was not something I had heard during the day, from the Moustasched and Great Reed Warblers.

The size was good for Reed Warbler. But when I start analyzing the pictures it doesn't really work out for me.

The legs are way too dark, the colour is not as warm as I think of when I see a Reed Warbler, it is very "white" on the chest and the beak shape is not really perfect either.

I asked about the bird in a Swedish forum and people started thinking about Iduna instead of Acrocephalus where I was stuck. And when I look at pictures, it actually looks pretty good for Western Olivaceous Warbler! Would that be a possibility? Perhaps this is a "known" bird to you?

Thank you in advance and I will post one more strange bird in a short while :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	iduna1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	654.0 KB
ID:	632739  
Old Sunday 9th July 2017, 06:10   #1075
Patrick_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Nevis View Post
Both Ruddy Shelduck were there at 9.30am,when l popped ln for 5 minutes.Also a Great crested Grebe,which may or may not be unusual.
Thanks Ben Nevis, I failed to see the Great crested Grebe too although I have seen them there before. Just to show how critical timing and patience are.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: