• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Binoculars in the market? (1 Viewer)

After some research, I found a few binoculars under $500. I thought vortex optics viper HD is a good one. But I don't know exactly. Which is good binocular to buy from this list? Can anyone suggest? I'm not fixing for these binoculars only. One of my friends suggests me to look into this list. That's why I'm asking. Thank you.

After some research, I found a few binoculars under $500. I thought vortex optics viper HD is a good one. But I don't know exactly. Which is good binocular to buy from this list? Can anyone suggest? I'm not fixing for these binoculars only. One of my friends suggests me to look into this list. That's why I'm asking. Thank you.

What ever you do don't get a "Zoom" power binocular like the Nikon shown or any other one made by anybody else! They have very narrow fields of view and the zoom mechanisms break too easily.

The Vortex binoculars have a very good warranty and most of their offerings are good binoculars. Remember the maxim: "you get what you pay for." This is very true when buying optics. The Vortex Viper line has a good reputation.

As for size, 8x42 binoculars are very popular for their all around versatility and over all they are more popular than 10x42 binoculars which do not have as wide a field of view.

And finally, always try before you buy if possible. Visit a Cabela's/Bass Pro Shop if you can. Most will have a variety of low to moderate cost binoculars you can try out.

Bob

Last edited:

It's important to understand that there are many good binoculars under $500 that will deliver clear and useful images of birds and other wildlife. And there are many more that are not appropriate. Several members have identified specific binoculars that would fit within your $500 budget and be appropriate for observing wildlife. Those experience based selections considered but did not identify several criteria. Left out of the discussion were variables such as exit pupil, objective size, magnification, weight, prism design, field of view, water resistance, eye relief, apparent field of view and focusing design that all combine to make a binocular useful for one purpose but not another.

A binocular from one of the brands mentioned with 8x to 10x magnification, objectives from 30mm to 42mm and an exit pupil of at least 3.5mm will serve you well. And if you are interested in learning more about all the criteria we use to discuss binoculars then read through messages on this board, ask questions and use google search.

I have to again side with WJC.
The list you gave shows 50% of instruments totally unsuitable.....rifle scopes, monocular and a basic compact. Skip that list.
Dont bother with a zoom in any bino but your next step please, is to get down to an independent optics retailer and spend some time looking through a few pairs.
I usually suggest three pairs of the specification you've chosen but that stage has yet to come.
So, 3 pairs of 8 x 32, 3 pairs of 8 x 42 and 3 pairs of 10 x 42. Take your glasses if you have any ( except reading ), and work your way through them. The ones you dont like put to one side till you're down to a final selection of two or three. Then put them through their paces - focusing to near, middle and far distance. Look at dark areas and objects in bright light, checking for sharpness, colours and detail. Try before you buy.
Good luck

That list is complete crap. Nevertheless, if you cross reference it with the criteria that I suggested in my previous post, it leaves you with one option, the Vortex Optics Viper HD Roof Prism Binoculars 10x42. That's a fine bin, but given that you don't know what you want, I'd suggest that you get the 8x42 version of that binocular.

--AP

P.S. Oops! I forgot that I also named Vanguard in my earlier post, so you have a second option, which would be the 8x version of the Vanguard Endeavor ED II 10x42.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back