• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Royal Navy current use binoculars? (1 Viewer)

Sebzwo

Hello everybody,
having watched several TV documentaries recently about Royal Navy vessels (RN carrier ops and HMS Duncan) I noticed what sorts of binoculars get used on their bridges these days.

To me it looked like mostly some military Hensoldt 7x50 in black plastic protective covers are used plus the odd Zeiss Marine 7x50 and even one (higher magnification?) commercial Swarovski. The latter possibly privately owned?

I wondered about those newish looking Hensoldts. Are they still currently made or did the RN order some big batch some time ago? Do they service them themselves? It would make sense to use them as they are both good performing and laser protected. The German Navy uses the very same type designated "Fero D18" but in olive green only not in black. Can RN personnel buy these binoculars somewhere? Most looked like "official use" with marking rings and custom lanyards so not truly private.

Hope this non bird-centered question is permitted and hope it's not violating any military NDA or similar. This type of binoculars itself is known for years however officially it has never been sold on the commercial market as the entire development was paid for by the German MOD. Not sure if it is currently still built new? At least manufacturer servicing seems to be not possible anymore.

Thanks for your answers.

Last edited:
The Army bought a large amount of Steiner binoculars.

I have seen Fujinon stabilised binoculars used from helicopters plugged into the 28 volt supply?

I see the Zeiss 7x50 on some ships.

I have also seen non descript binoculars used on small vessels. Usually 7x50s I think.

The Agiflite camera used to be used from Nimrods for sea use. This is an updated version of the Williamson hand wound motor drive camera. Medium format.
Must be digital cameras now.

B.

Hi Binastro. Hope you are keeping well.

This photo comes up prominently in Google apparently from last year :
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...y-use-binoculars-on-the-news-photo/1145054431
Binoculars look quite a bit like these (and many other black marines 7x50s of course) :
https://www.opticron.eu/ukhtml/Pages/marine.htm

This would probably have been a better link to the Francis Barker model mentioned earlier (less scrolling involved) :
https://www.pyseroptics.com/product/pyser-optics-e8x42rm-compact-military-binoculars/
Interesting to see a 21st century roof prism military albeit with perhaps a bit of a 20th century spec? Perhaps a model that has acquired a reputation for reliability.

Square jawed Commander Will King has certainly been captured here with the look of the intrepid hero; no disrespect intended, but I think the guy behind may still be a work in progress :
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/local-news/gloating-iran-now-target-british-3273831

Hi,

The Royal Navy use the Zeiss 7x50 BGA binocular.

They use both Mk.1(flat shoulder) and Mk.2 (sloping shoulder) versions and a number are fitted with laser filters.

Many of the crewmen braid their own straps for these binoculars.

I spent a number of years servicing these binoculars for the Navy.

Gary.

Thanks Gary. Most appreciated. So these are "commercial" ones sort of? Do they still issue them today from stocks?

The Royal Navy use the Zeiss 7x50 BGA binocular.

They use both Mk.1(flat shoulder) and Mk.2 (sloping shoulder) versions and a number are fitted with laser filters.

Gary.

Thanks for the note regarding the two variants, Gary! Are there any optical differences between the two?

It's interesting that multiple lookouts appear still to be posted on RN vessels despite the advanced technology no doubt also being employed to detect both underwater and surface targets.

Last edited:
Hi,

The binoculars were standard off the shelf Zeiss 7x50 BGAs.

Some were retrofitted with laser filters.

I do not know what the RN use now as the 7x50 BGA is no longer manufactured.

BTW.......a number of cruise lines also use this binocular.

Gary

Thanks for the note regarding the two variants, Gary! Are there any optical differences between the two?

It's interesting that multiple lookouts appear still to be posted on RN vessels despite the advanced technology no doubt also being employed to detect both underwater and surface targets.

Hello Patudo,

Visual signalling, by flags, flag waving, and signal lights are considered more secure than radio communication. All line of sight and aided by optics. Fog banks and other weather phenomenon might be spotted visually. Some things, using stealth technology, even whales, do not turn up on radar screens.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Yes as mentioned above this is a special royal gift for some individual. Some green Swaro obviously.
The ones I meant are Zeiss porros covered in black plastic. As I have learned the not made anymore Zeiss marine 7x50. Does anybody have any last remaining sources for the last stocked ones somewhere possibly, except eBay?

What do these people buy or get issued instead today whenever they need brand new high performance maritime binoculars? It looked to me like they share a certain passion for good quality binoculars.

As Binastro indicated, the British Army has recently acquired 15,000 copies of the ‘okay’ 8x30 Steiner as a general issue binocular
(see: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-army-kit-helps-soldiers-see-more-clearly )
However, I’m not surprised that the Navy continues to use a superior binocular like the Zeiss for those standing watch on larger and capital ships
Of all weapons platforms, large ships are an unequalled investment of capital, along with materials, equipment and technology, and personnel and expertise

Modern ships have a wide range of electronic detection measures. However, the need to cover the full range of possible hazards and threats,
means that the sophisticated needs to be supplemented with the more flexible and adaptable e.g. see Arthur’s comments in post #16
A fundamental military principle is, that given the appropriate circumstances a commander can be forgiven almost anything - except being surprised

And as an historical observation, it’s not happenstance that during WWII the Germans devoted their limited coated lens binocular production to naval use

John

Last edited:
Hello everybody,
having watched several TV documentaries recently about Royal Navy vessels (RN carrier ops and HMS Duncan) I noticed what sorts of binoculars get used on their bridges these days.

To me it looked like mostly some military Hensoldt 7x50 in black plastic protective covers are used plus the odd Zeiss Marine 7x50 and even one (higher magnification?) commercial Swarovski. The latter possibly privately owned?
Hello! Do you remember which Swarowski was there? I really like these binoculars, so i interested in which model was used on navi))
Some of these (https://www.bestadvisers.co.uk/swarovski-binoculars ), maybe?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back