• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warbler ID, June Denmark (1 Viewer)

PeterHD

Hi - can anyone ID this bird song I recorded a couple of days ago in Denmark (just north of Copenhagen). It was sitting in some low trees in a somewhat swampy area. Huge thanks in advance.
Best, Peter

Attachments

• warbler1.mp3
    635.5 KB · Views: 168
  • warbler2.mp3
    370.6 KB · Views: 109
There is a Blackcap [Munk] singing in the second clip - is that a separate bird, or could the mystery song be this bird's subsong?

The recording isn't too clear but still, to me this sounds strangely similar to the song of a Sykes's Warbler Iduna rama. Right now I've no possibility to check with more care but I would say definitely worth examining deeper...

The Sylvia in the second recording sounds more like a Common Whitethroat to me.

Not much time to look at it again now but using headphones now it sounds more like a Booted Warbler Iduna caligata to me. The speed and the rush of it let me think of Sykes's in the first place... it is not a perfect match to either of the species but what else could it be?

In order to possibly gain more attention from others I took the liberty to enhance your second recording a little and cut out the rumbling. On the first recording it's just too distant. Hope you don't mind? If you do I'll delete it right away.

Attachments

• Warbler2_edited.mp3
    313.3 KB · Views: 56
myst warbler

Hope you do not mind I made an extra clean up, not that it helped me to id bird but maybe others.
Hope for some follow up.
Coud you make a more precise destination for ID?

Attachments

• warbler1.mp3
    638.8 KB · Views: 62
  • warbler2.mp3
    373.9 KB · Views: 32
Thanks again - it was recorded June 24th 4.30pm at app. this location (55.852002, 12.544602) (in the small trees behind a lamppost with green paint on it). I will see if it is still there tomorrow and try to get picture/recording.
Best, Peter

Unfortunately it was no longer around - so I will likely never get a 100% ID. Probably the closest I will ever get to a booted warbler in DK ;-) Thanks everyone for your efforts, it was an outstanding help!

I think it is rather safe to assume it was a Booted Warbler. You should definitely write a report for the Rarities Committee. In the end they will decide...

There is indeed something of a Booted Warbler in the song. It doesn´t sound quite right for me however. I find the song too monotonous for a Booted (and for Sykes too). That can also be seen on the sonogram. The ambitus is narrow and the note structure is very uniform compared to Booted. In the song of Booted the notes go steeply and rapidly up and down but in this song the notes resemble more a slow wave.

Naturally the faint recording makes it harder to analyze the song. I think it would be safest to leave the ID open.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back