Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Wasp Nest

Old Monday 21st January 2008, 14:29   #1
Saphire
Christine

Wasp Nest

We are having a new roof put on the house, and this was found underneath the tiles. apparently its 3ft from top to bottom and about 2 ft across. The roofers have left it there so it looks like we will have to go into the loft to remove it. Do you think there is any danger this time of year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WaspNest.210108sm.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	122453  Click image for larger version

Name:	094WaspNest.210108.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	293.2 KB
ID:	122454  
Old Monday 21st January 2008, 15:09   #2
Wildwood

No, the only thing that will be in the nest now is parasites of the wasps (fly larvae etc) and maybe some dead/unhatched larvae from last year (all sorts of goodies to discover if you feel like it!). Just rake it out into a bag or something, you'll be ok.

All workers, males and the old queen die off in autumn/late winter. The new queens disperse away from the nest to find hibernation places for overwintering. The surviving queens start new colonies the next spring.

Looking at the colour and size, it will probably be the nest of Vespula vulgaris - the common wasp. Only V. vulgaris and Vespa crabro (hornets) have beige colour nests. The other species nests are usually grey.

Last edited by Wildwood : Monday 21st January 2008 at 15:13.
Old Monday 21st January 2008, 15:36   #3
Saphire
Christine

Thank you Wildwood now I can't wait to have it down where I can have a closer look. It will have to be cut in two halves as it goes around a downpost. The photos were only taken with a compact camera I didn't want to risk my 40d in the hands of the builders in case they slipped going up the ladders.
Old Tuesday 22nd January 2008, 17:31   #4
Saphire
Christine

Unfortunately the roofers tried to take the nest down and it was just to fragile and it went to dust, apart from two small pieces. One 5" round which looks like it came from the very tip and a flat piece 12" x 6" wide. I took a macro shot of a Wasp which never made it past getting out of the cocoon and one of the intricate cells..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021Waspnest220108.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	122616  Click image for larger version

Name:	049Waspnest220108.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	122617  

Last edited by Saphire : Tuesday 22nd January 2008 at 17:34.
Old Tuesday 22nd January 2008, 18:12   #5
turkish van
Number 1 celebrity badger

Wow, amazing pics. The mind boggles as to how they create those cells - so perfect.
Old Tuesday 22nd January 2008, 19:26   #6
David Smith
Warrington Lancs

I concur with Wildwood (although without the technical details).
We had a wasps nest and called out the council-they explained about the wasps 'moving on' each year-so we left it and sure enough they went.
I'm hoping none of the offspring decide to go back and vist their grand parents old home!!

BF Supporter 2008 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: