• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow x Magpie Hybrid or leusistic (1 Viewer)

Pitvar

Hello all, saw two birds yesterday at Keldy, North Yorkshire and at first and second glance I decided they were an unusual leusistic Carrion Crow and didn't have time to observe them for long before they flew off. I've previously seen "brown" Crows and know there are all sorts of variations in crows.

However once I reviewed the photos [one good, two poor] I can't find any similar variation plus the bill looks to be a little deformed - all of which led me to wonder whether it is possible to have Magpie/Crow hybrids at all?

Any opinions gratefully received.

Attachments

• DSC_5234.jpg
    DSC_5234.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 945
  • DSC_5238.jpg
    DSC_5238.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 900
  • DSC_5239.jpg
    DSC_5239.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 682
Thanks TringBirder, I've had another search of the web and can find crows with white wing bars or all white crows but it was the patterning on these two which threw me plus the bill looked strange: but I guess if there's genetic abnormality in the pigmentation there could be in the bill/head shape too.

I've never heard of Magpie/Crow hybrids (and have read a lot about hybrid birds), but i'm pretty sure these couldn't be such a hybrid if it was possible, as the wing and tail proportions are identical to "normal" Carrion Crow. I'd be *very* surprised if a hybrid didn't show intermediate size and shape as well as colouring.

Partially leucistic Carrion Crows are very common, and i've seen ones very similar to these as well as ones with white in completely different places. Bill deformities are also fairly well-known in corvids (although that first photo could just be a stray feather altering the silhouette of the bill IMO).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back