• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sandwich vs Cabot's Tern (1 Viewer)

nabirding

North American Birding Blog
A year ago a Sandwich Tern was found on Chicago's lakefront in the United States. Observers of this bird soon realized that it may be of European origin, and I set out to investigate.

I've now completed my research and published my findings at North American Birding (the blog, not the ABA magazine). To cut to the chase, I believe there can be little doubt that this bird was Thalasseus sandvicensis sandvicensis, and represents the first record of a live bird in North America (there is a specimen that was picked up dead on the east coast some years back).

A photo of the bird is attached.

A big part of this identification rests on the shape of the outer primary feathers. Garner et al compare (Identification of American Sandwich Tern, Dutch Birding Vol:29:5) the tips of the outer primaries of (Adult winter):

A major difference acuflavida and sandvicensis is the width of the white fringe to the inner web of the outer primaries. On acuflavida, the white fringe is very narrow (1-1.5 mm) whereas, on sandvicensis, the fringe is wider (2-4 mm), each primary also having 3-5 mm of white at the feather-tip (lacking in acuflavida) (Olsen & Lasson 1995).

What I've discovered is that the worn primaries are just as distinctive as the fresh, and that the white fringe, when it wears away, leaves the primary tips (particularly noticeable on P6-8) with a distinctive hook shape.

I am very interested in the opinions of European birders who have experience with T. s. sandvicensis, and would love to hear opinion ether on this forum or in the comments at the blog post.

I would also be very interested in seeing any photos of European Sandwich Terns that either corroborate or contradict my findings.

The NAB article is at: http://www.nabirding.com/2011/09/25/sandwich-or-cabots/

Thanks,

-greg neise

Attachments

• ST-Portrait-4.jpg
    ST-Portrait-4.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back