Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2014

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 86 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Wednesday 1st January 2014, 09:23   #1
Mike Montier

Mallorca 2014

Happy New Year to all readers of this thread and thanks for all the news and information throughout the year. It was a bumper spring with many rare birds, the "Big Year" was huge fun and many scarce species were logged. I hope to see many of you again here in Mallorca and I will update as much as possible during the year. Just off to the beach now for my usual swim in the sea and a walk around my local patch. Best wishes and good birding, Mike.
Old Wednesday 1st January 2014, 09:58   #2
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2020

Happy New year to you Mike, and thanks a million for keeping this series of threads going. Always makes a good read for us Mallorcophiles, even if (like me) we may not have been there for a while. Always hope to get back some day.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 1st January 2014, 15:13   #3
honeym

Happy New Year, Mike - and all readers/contibutors to this thread - from a wet and windy UK.
Martin
Old Friday 3rd January 2014, 13:34   #4
Ben Nevis

Happy New Year to all Mallorcaphiles and like others,many thanks for keeping these pages Interesting and up to date.I hope to be back again this year and Instead of booking Playa de Muro (2013),hope to head up Pollensa way.
Old Sunday 5th January 2014, 09:23   #5
Mike Montier

It seems some locals are keen to have another "Big Year" in 2014. I will give it a go as I finished a miserable 17th in 2013 having seen 187 species whilst the winner logged 232. It was a record spring but a miserable autumn so let's hope for a bumper year with lots of surprises. There are now more people looking and consequently more birds are being seen. It really is a great place so I hope many of you will make it over here this year. I hope to meet up with some of you. Happy birding, Mike
Old Sunday 5th January 2014, 09:24   #6
Mike Montier

Greylag geese at s'Albufera which is a good year tick, about the only place to see them here. I am going next week and will report on what's around. Mike
Old Sunday 5th January 2014, 15:18   #7
honeym

Hi Mike

I would say that you were =15th and with 187 the leading Brit. A very creditable performance - given that you were also back in the UK for part of the time.

If anyone wants to see the full list of participants, it's here:
http://bigyearmallorca.blogspot.com....g-year-13.html

I'll look forward to your reports.

Martin
Old Thursday 9th January 2014, 19:34   #8
Mike Montier

Thanks Martin, I am having another go this year as I plan to be here the whole time, hopefully with better luck. About 80 Flamingos at Salobrar today plus a good selection of waders and Osprey, Booted eagle and a Red kite. Mike
Old Friday 10th January 2014, 13:51   #9
davercox
Dave Cox
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeym View Post
I would say that you were =15th and with 187 the leading Brit.
I also see you were beaten by a German birder. Come on now Mike, this won't do. (Congrats to Michael Schade btw.)
It's beginning to look as though we may be there in May, at least I hope so.

BF Supporter 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 10th January 2014, 18:23   #10
honeym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Thanks Martin, I am having another go this year as I plan to be here the whole time, hopefully with better luck. About 80 Flamingos at Salobrar today plus a good selection of waders and Osprey, Booted eagle and a Red kite. Mike
Hi Mike

I'm hoping to be out in Spring. I will be a free agent by then.

All the best and good luck!

Martin
Old Friday 10th January 2014, 18:55   #11
Andrew
wibble wibble

Having seen this thread, it is very tempting to come back in the spring now.

Birds, sea, sunshine and a smorgasbord of cured meats from the markets. Hard to beat.
Old Sunday 12th January 2014, 21:50   #12
rachk116

Hi. I am planning to visit Mallorca for a week from the 30th May. I have been twice in the spring but don't know what the birds are like in May/June time. I realise that migration will be over. Will mostly visit places around Puerto Pollensa as it isn't an exclusively birding holiday and we won't have a car. Any suggestions other than the usual places would be very gratefully received.
Thank you in advance
Rach
Old Sunday 12th January 2014, 23:07   #13
Barred Wobbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
Having seen this thread, it is very tempting to come back in the spring now.

Birds, sea, sunshine and a smorgasbord of cured meats from the markets. Hard to beat.
When I was out there last summer the owner of the place we rented out in the sticks provided us with a welcome pack that included a nice chunk of local chorizo and a good wedge of a local cheese that were perfect as an after-dinner snack with a sundowner, watching the day draw to a close over the mountains.

Bliss.

I asked her what the cheese was, because it appealed to me and I'm not a great cheese lover (I hate Cheddar). Unfortunately she didn't know, but thought it might be Mahon. It wasn't Mahon, because I'm familiar with it - a bit like Edam, but with a deep yellow wax rind.

This cheese was pale and mild, but tangy (not so much of a hint of 'feet'), slightly salty and more crumbly than Mahon and it had a blackish crust. I looked in the Pollensa supermarkets, but couldn't see anything like it.

If anyone could come up with a suggestion of what it might be I'd be more than happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0157-web.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	479623  

Last edited by Barred Wobbler : Sunday 12th January 2014 at 23:16.
Old Monday 13th January 2014, 12:05   #14
Mike Montier

Thanks davercox, yes, beaten by a German who is not here all the time but many congratulations to him. I have never met him but look forward to doing so.
Rach. What a great time to be here, there will still be some migration with Lesser kestrels, Red-footed falcons, Golden orioles and hopefully a Roller or two. The area around Puerto Pollença is the best place to be, Son Real is worth a visit as I think the plant life is interesting too. Let me know is there is any particular species you would like to see and I will try to help.
Barred Wobbler: I have never been asked to identify a cheeze before!! If it had a black rind it may have been a Manchego but the texture looks more like a mild goat cheeze that I often buy in the market. It is lovely with no hint of goat but I could be wrong. I will take a look in the market tomorrow.
Quite a few Red-breasted mergansers around the coast and I am still trying to get a permit to go up Puig Mayor to see the Snow finch. Mike
Old Monday 13th January 2014, 14:30   #15
Barred Wobbler

Thanks Mike.

The one I'm on about had a sort of dark grey crumbly crust (blackish), not the black, glossy waxy coating that I saw an another cheese in the supermarket.

Looking at photos of Manchego, it might be that, but the description of the rind isn't right. Any more info would be welcome.
Old Monday 13th January 2014, 19:01   #16
Andrew
wibble wibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barred Wobbler View Post
This cheese was pale and mild, but tangy (not so much of a hint of 'feet'), slightly salty and more crumbly than Mahon and it had a blackish crust. I looked in the Pollensa supermarkets, but couldn't see anything like it.

If anyone could come up with a suggestion of what it might be I'd be more than happy.
This sounds like a cheese I enjoy with my meats in Spain and Portugal. There are many varieties but I gather it is a cured cheese of some sort. I think a salty liquid such as brine is used to cure the cheese until it is possibly air dried. If you visit the markets then you will easily find many of these, often with the word 'curado' on the label.

Interested to know if anybody knows better.
Old Monday 13th January 2014, 19:20   #17
honeym

Hi

I'm 99% certain that, from the description, it wasn't Manchego. I would also favour Mahon.
There are many 'versions' of Mahon cheese. My guess would be 'curado', as Andrew said, probably one of the aged versions. Did it look remotely like the 2nd cheese illustrated here:
http://www.currycurryquetepillo.com/...eso-mahon.html
My favourite Spanish cheese would probably be Cabrales from a few mountain villages in the eastern Asturias. Luckily there are a very few places in London where one can get it - but you have to like a strong blue cheese!

Martin

Last edited by honeym : Monday 13th January 2014 at 20:17.
Old Monday 13th January 2014, 19:30   #18
Barred Wobbler

It was a pale, slightly crumbly cheese with a very mild flavour. I tried a couple of curados and semi-curados and found them too strong for my taste - too 'feety'. I'm a fan of mild cheeses - although perversely, I quite like blue stilton!

I had a look at the second cheese in your link Martin, and it wasn't like that. It didn't have all that white flakiness through it, although the crust looked similar.
Old Monday 13th January 2014, 20:32   #19
Mike Montier

I have just consulted my wife who believes it is a sheep's cheese that we bought in a market at Caimari festival. We will try to find it again. All I remember is that it was just delicious, mild, creamy and yet a distinctive flavour. Will let you know! Mike
Old Monday 13th January 2014, 21:41   #20
Barred Wobbler

Thanks Mike. Looking forward to that.
Old Tuesday 14th January 2014, 21:04   #21
Andrew
wibble wibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
I have just consulted my wife who believes it is a sheep's cheese that we bought in a market at Caimari festival. We will try to find it again. All I remember is that it was just delicious, mild, creamy and yet a distinctive flavour. Will let you know! Mike
Yes, that's the one I enjoy in Mallorca and the Algarve. It is a brine cured goats cheese. A small chunk on each slice of saucission with a glass of port or spanish red. Nice.

Who needs crackers?
Old Friday 17th January 2014, 15:41   #22
Ben Nevis

Puerto Pollensa

Sorry for going off topic a little here but after staying In Playa de Muro,last summer,I would like to holiday In Puerto Pollensa this summer,so I can be closer to some of the fantastic bird areas there.
Can anyone recommend a good Hotel or Apartments ? There shall only be 2 adults In the party.
Old Friday 17th January 2014, 17:06   #23
Mike Montier

Hopefully someone will respond with their own experiences but I know of a great hotel but the name escapes me. I will check with my friend and let you have the name. It certainly is the best area to stay in. Mike
Old Friday 17th January 2014, 19:28   #24
honeym

I've stayed with a friend in the Daina Apartments, just one street back off the seafront. Ideally suited for public transport and taxis and right in the centre of Puerto Pollensa so convenient for eating out, etc. It was well appointed and comfortable and even had a roof terrace. Perfect. I've also stayed in the Habitat Apartments. These are set back off the main road into Puerto Pollensa and were quite pleasant and had the benefit of a pool. Not quite so convenient for evening meals, though.
Martin
Old Saturday 18th January 2014, 15:17   #25
Mike Montier

Two Glossy Ibis at s'Albufera and a Stork species hanging round the Campos area although I have yet to catch up with it. I have drawn a blank on the cheese so far, we bought it at a market which is only on once a year! I will keep trying. Mike
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: