• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Feeding Red Kites with meat on a string? (1 Viewer)

jimmyjames

Has anyone ever seen anyone feeding Red Kites with meat on a string in Hertfordshire?

Reports are that the birds disappeared after this event but the facts aren't all in yet.

I've never heard of this apart from when falconers train and display there captive birds.

Know nothing of this but does sound worrying! Do you think the meat is poisoned?

Living in outer London/Middx-not too far away I get Red Kites every day over the garden now.

Know nothing of this but does sound worrying! Do you think the meat is poisoned?

Living in outer London/Middx-not too far away I get Red Kites every day over the garden now.

There would be no reason to use poisoned meat on a string that I can think of? Presumably the idea is to reel in the kite for disposal without leaving traces of poison for any autopsy (even assuming it is found) - plus of course the perpetrator may not have access to a suitable poison. Worrying, as you say. :C

John

The person who saw it wondered if it was a poisoning attempt, but usually someone would leave the meat somewhere on the ground as you say. It's very odd.

I hadn't thought about that. I just asked the witness and he said yes, the guy had a camera. I had forgotten about the length these idiots go to to show off online.

On a scale of things to get outraged by, a tog trying to lure a Red Kite closer with a chunk of meat tied to a length of string is a solid 0 for me.

This is how photographers get the photos of birds diving towards the camera with open talons.

On a scale of things bad for birds it is 0. On a scale of weirdness of what bird photographers do, it is still 3 out of 10.

I suspect if the photographer wants to get a photo of a Kite on the ground, it's the only way to do it other than use a piece of meat too large for it to fly off with.

I don't see any serious problem with it, it's no different to putting peanuts inside a mesh tube so Blue Tits can't just grab them and fly off to eat them off camera.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back