• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fuerteventura trip report 15-22 Feb (1 Viewer)

Stephen Dunstan

Day 1

Arriving early afternoon we transferred from the airport to our apartment in Corralejo. The journey was interrupted by a return to the airport so there was a lot of opportunity to look for some initial entries on the list. Other than Atlantic Yellow-legged Gulls and some potential Lesser Black-backed Gulls among them only a Kestrel was positively identified.

After unpacking a wander into Corralejo produced several Spanish Sparrows at the apartment and many more en route to the harbour. Tunrstones were conspicuous in the hearbout itself, later in the trip we would see a local feeding them with fish he was stripping at a table on the rocks.

Observations from the balcony of the apartment in the evening produced a Chiff Chaff or two, a female Blackcap and a presumed Berthelot’s Pipit on rough ground across the road. Collared Doves, feral pigeons and Linnets were also added to the list before close of play.

Day 2

A short boat trip to the former volcanic island of Los Lobos, just of Corralejo. This was primarily for the scenery, and very spectacular it is in an eerie kind of way. The bird interest was generally rather limited save for Berthelot’s Pipits at regular intervals. By half way round the six mile circuit of the island these had only been augmented by a couple of Ravens, another Turnstone, a Whimbrel, a Redshank and a mixed group of Atlantic Yellow-legged Gulls and Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

The second half of the walk from the lighthouse at the north end back to the harbour did improve the trip list somewhat with a couple of Southern Grey Shrikes (one memorably carrying a lizard victim) and a Buzzard of the Canaries race which drifted over south west.

Back in Corralejo Little Egret and Common Sandpiper were added to the list, both were to be seen at most coastal sites visited during the week.

Day 3

With a newly received hire car the first stop of the day was the Embalse de los Molinos. Or it would have been if we hadn’t set off on the wrong track on arrival. However this did no harm as splendid views of about 10 Trumpeter Finches proved to be the best of the whole trip.

On arriving at the Embalse itself (having successfully evaded a couple of camels on the road) things finally began to pick up pace with a couple of Fuerteventura Stonechats seen at very close range. Also seen at this great site were 9 Ruddy Shelducks, 6 Greenshank, Dunlin, Green Sandpiper as well as egrets and over 60 Coot. New birds for the trip also included Hoopoes, and a White Wagtails which was a species not seen anywhere else during the week.

Moving onto Betancuria a local race (degener) Blue Tit was seen well in the grounds of the craft museum. Buzzards circled and the first Monarch butterfly of the trip was seen. Moving on to Las Penitas the instructions in Clarke and Collins were not understood so the reservoir edge was not reached, but the walk added Song Thrush (only one of the trip) and then Spectacled Warbler to the birds seen. The first Barbary Ground Squirrels were seen, these proved to be regular even in some of the tourist resorts.

Day 4

A long drive down to the La Pared area to work the dunes before taking the kids to the zoo in the afternoon. On the way in to Costa Calma half a dozen Pallid Swifts were welcome. Walking out on to the dunes was testing the patience of the travel party, with only the ubiquitous Lesser Short-toed Larks to show for it. Proceedings were about to be called to a close when a magnificent Houbara Bustard flew past at point blank range. On the way back to the car another was seen at reasonable range feeding for several minutes before melting into the vegetation. Cracking.

Lunch on the outskirts of the town produced the only Goldfinch of the trip and more great views of Monarch butterflies.

Heading on to the Oasis Park zoo at La Lajita the bins were kept round my neck just in case. Half way between the meerkats and the otter tank a strangely familiar yet utterly out of place ‘swee’ call was heard. Not knowing quite what to expect I was relieved to see the bird in question pop up obligingly in full view barely twenty feet away. Raising my bins I was confronted with a Yellow-browed Warbler! Fumbling around for my video camera I tried to get some footage, eventually ending up with record shots of the eye stripe and wingbars between vegetation and great recording of the call.

Shortly after this undoubted highlight another new bird for the trip was seen in the form of a Grey Wagtail frequenting the otter pool in the zoo. This was the only one seen on the whole trip. Less satisfying but going on the list were Monk Parakeets.

Returning home we went via Catalina Garcia lake. The Ring-necked Duck and Lesser Scaup seen here recently were unfortunately not on view. However some compensation was provided by 3 Spoonbills, 2 Black-tailed Godwits, a Ruddy Shelduck and a few other waders.

Day 5

Tried unsuccessfully to increase the desert specialities seen by driving some tracks off El Cotillo, which eventually triumphed over the hire car. Walking from the resort to El Cotillo lighthouse did produce several wader species including Ringed and Grey Plovers. Best of all though were the 10 Kentish Plovers, including a group of eight near the lighthouse.

The afternoon was spent largely in Catalina de Fuste, largely doing tourist things. A check of the saltpans to the south of the resort produced a few waders but nothing new. A small diversion to the Barranco de Torre did however produce a welcome Plain Swift.

Stopping to swim in the sea at the Corralejo dunes produced a couple of Sanderling, again the only ones of the trip.

Day 6

Last day with a car. Given the chance to do some birding in the morning I elected to go to the Embalse rather than scour for desert species with no guarantee of success. This produced a couple of Grey Herons and good views of a Buzzard as well as no fewer than 15 Ruddy Shelducks. Returning from the far end I spotted a female duck not seen on the way down, expecting perhaps a Teal I was surprised to see it was a Shoveler.

Returning to Las Penitas to crack the access to the reservoir edge was successful, and produced the only Sardinian Warblers seen during the week. Blue Tits and Spectacled Warblers were also plentiful in this area.

Day 7

A whistle stop tour of Lanzarote. Following the purest group of Rock Doves I have ever seen at the camel area on the ‘fire mountain’ the 50th species of the trip was notched up with a Swallow flying over the caves in the north of the island where the unique blind albino crabs live. That looked like it for a great holiday until a couple of Cory’s Shearwaters were seen in the gloom from the ferry back to Fuerteventura.

Day 8

Packing and home. No new species.

My target was to get 50 species given family commitments. To do this and pick off Canary Islands Chat and Houbara Bustard and find a Spanish national rarity was most satisfying.

Stephen.

Last edited:
Nice report - takes me back to my only visit to Fuerteventura, also with family and with a very similar trip list - except for the Y-b of course!

Nice One

Nice report Stephen.

One question though ? How do you combine birding with the family holiday ? I visit Ibiza each year and although I take the family to Sas Salines Reserve,they moan and groan from the time we get there..! "This is boring","its too hot","I can see Flamingos in the zoo"..! Guess what ? Next time,I am going on my own.Any photos to post Stephen ?

Will come back with more in due course, but think the butterflies were Plain Tigers. Anyone wanting a full trip list or mammals and butterflies let me know.

Regards,

Stephen.

Stephen

Interesting you should get the chat and Houbara Bustard. I was there in December 2004 when there was a plague of locusts. I didn't see either of these birds but not for the want of trying! I did see Cream coloured Coursers, Black-bellied Sandgrouse (on same plain), Egyptian Vulture (fabulous) and Barbary Falcon (also fabulous) both on the road out to El Cotillo. A very windy place Fuerteventura, not sure I would ever go back there. Enjoyed your report brings back some memories.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Day 1

Arriving early afternoon we transferred from the airport to our apartment in Corralejo. The journey was interrupted by a return to the airport so there was a lot of opportunity to look for some initial entries on the list. Other than Atlantic Yellow-legged Gulls and some potential Lesser Black-backed Gulls among them only a Kestrel was positively identified.

After unpacking a wander into Corralejo produced several Spanish Sparrows at the apartment and many more en route to the harbour. Tunrstones were conspicuous in the hearbout itself, later in the trip we would see a local feeding them with fish he was stripping at a table on the rocks.

Observations from the balcony of the apartment in the evening produced a Chiff Chaff or two, a female Blackcap and a presumed Berthelot’s Pipit on rough ground across the road. Collared Doves, feral pigeons and Linnets were also added to the list before close of play.

Day 2

A short boat trip to the former volcanic island of Los Lobos, just of Corralejo. This was primarily for the scenery, and very spectacular it is in an eerie kind of way. The bird interest was generally rather limited save for Berthelot’s Pipits at regular intervals. By half way round the six mile circuit of the island these had only been augmented by a couple of Ravens, another Turnstone, a Whimbrel, a Redshank and a mixed group of Atlantic Yellow-legged Gulls and Lesser Black-backed Gulls.

The second half of the walk from the lighthouse at the north end back to the harbour did improve the trip list somewhat with a couple of Southern Grey Shrikes (one memorably carrying a lizard victim) and a Buzzard of the Canaries race which drifted over south west.

Back in Corralejo Little Egret and Common Sandpiper were added to the list, both were to be seen at most coastal sites visited during the week.

Day 3

With a newly received hire car the first stop of the day was the Embalse de las Molinos. Or it would have been if we hadn’t set off on the wrong track on arrival. However this did no harm as splendid views of about 10 Trumpeter Finches proved to be the best of the whole trip.

On arriving at the Embalse itself (having successfully evaded a couple of camels on the road) things finally began to pick up pace with a couple of Fuerteventura Stonechats seen at very close range. Also seen at this great site were 9 Ruddy Shelducks, 6 Greenshank, Dunlin, Green Sandpiper as well as egrets and over 60 Coot. New birds for the trip also included Hoopoes, and a White Wagtails which was a species not seen anywhere else during the week.

Moving onto Betancuria a local race (degener) Blue Tit was seen well in the grounds of the craft museum. Buzzards circled and the first Monarch butterfly of the trip was seen. Moving on to Las Penitas the instructions in Clarke and Collins were not understood so the reservoir edge was not reached, but the walk added Song Thrush (only one of the trip) and then Spectacled Warbler to the birds seen. The first Barbary Ground Squirrels were seen, these proved to be regular even in some of the tourist resorts.

Day 4

A long drive down to the La Pared area to work the dunes before taking the kids to the zoo in the afternoon. On the way in to Costa Calma half a dozen Pallid Swifts were welcome. Walking out on to the dunes was testing the patience of the travel party, with only the ubiquitous Lesser Short-toed Larks to show for it. Proceedings were about to be called to a close when a magnificent Houbara Bustard flew past at point blank range. On the way back to the car another was seen at reasonable range feeding for several minutes before melting into the vegetation. Cracking.

Lunch on the outskirts of the town produced the only Goldfinch of the trip and more great views of Monarch butterflies.

Heading on to the Oasis Park zoo at La Lajita the bins were kept round my neck just in case. Half way between the meerkats and the otter tank a strangely familiar yet utterly out of place ‘swee’ call was heard. Not knowing quite what to expect I was relieved to see the bird in question pop up obligingly in full view barely twenty feet away. Raising my bins I was confronted with a Yellow-browed Warbler! Fumbling around for my video camera I tried to get some footage, eventually ending up with record shots of the eye stripe and wingbars between vegetation and great recording of the call.

Shortly after this undoubted highlight another new bird for the trip was seen in the form of a Grey Wagtail frequenting the otter pool in the zoo. This was the only one seen on the whole trip. Less satisfying but going on the list were Monk Parakeets.

Returning home we went via Catalina Garcie lake. The Ring-necked Duck and Lesser Scaup seen here recently were unfortunately not on view. However some compensation was provided by 3 Spoonbills, 2 Black-tailed Godwits, a Ruddy Shelduck and a few other waders.

Day 5

Tried unsuccessfully to increase the desert specialities seen by driving some tracks off El Cotillo, which eventually triumphed over the hire car. Walking from the resort to El Cotillo did produce several wader species including Ringed and Grey Plovers. Best of all though were the 10 Kentish Plovers, including a group of eight near the lighthouse.

The afternoon was spent largely in Catalina de Fuste, largely doing tourist things. A check of the saltpans to the south of the resort produced a few waders but nothing new. A small diversion to the Barranco de Torre did however produce a welcome Plain Swift.

Stopping to swim in the sea at the Corralejo dunes produced a couple of Sanderling, again the only ones of the trip.

Day 6

Last day with a car. Given the chance to do some birding in the morning I elected to go to the Embalse rather than scour for desert species with no guarantee of success. This produced a couple of Grey Herons and god views of a Buzzard as well as no fewer than 15 Ruddy Shelducks. Returning from the far end I spotted a female duck not seen on the way down, expecting perhaps a Teal I was surprised to see it was a Shoveler.

Returning to Las Penitas to crack the access to the reservoir edge was successful, and produced the only Sardinian Warblers seen during the week. Blue Tits and Spectacled Warblers were also plentiful in this area.

Day 7

A whistle stop tour of Lanzarote. Following the purest group of Rock Doves I have ever seen at the camel area on the ‘fire mountain’ the 50th species of the trip was notched up with a Swallow flying over the caves in the north of the island where the unique blind albino crabs live. That looked like it for a great holiday until a couple of Cory’s Shearwaters were seen in the gloom from the ferry back to Fuerteventura.

Day 8

Packing and home. No new species.

My target was to get 50 species given family commitments. To do this and pick off Canary Islands Chat and Houbara Bustard and find a Spanish national rarity was most satisfying.

Stephen.

Funnily enough, two birds that I was going to merntion were Egyptian Vulture - good numbers around the electricity sub-station above Corralejo, and Barbary Falcon - I did not get Plain Swift though.

As to combining birding with family holidays, the best bet is to negotiate some free time - early mornings are good!

Stayed on Lanzarote a few years ago ,in August, and caught the ferry across to Fuerteventura for the day. As well as plenty of Cory's on the crossing I had distant views ( no 'scope ) of all-dark petrels which I'm pretty sure were Bulwers . Do they breed on the island of Los Lobos ?

Hi Stephen:

If you like you could send a e-mail to Ricard Gutierrez (webmaster of www.rarebirdspain.net ) to note your sighting of the Phylloscopus inornatus in the web.

Regards from Spain and sorry for my bad english

Thanks for all the comments above. Chabi I have contacted Ricard now, thanks for your help.

It wasn't too windy whilst I was there, I enjoyed it a lot and a week is about right. A day on Lanzarote was good for the contrasts.

Bulwers do breed on the Canaries, not Fuerteventura itself though I don't think.

As well as Rob's suggestion combining birding with other things helps (e.g. the salt pans near Catalina de Fuste are now part of an educational museum).

Stephen.

Interesting report Stephen, although the scope of species you can see on Fuerteventura is usually limited to what you actually saw and maybe just a few more. I was last there for 3 days with a group of Catalans in late August 2003 and for me the highlights of the visit were a "pom-pom" displaying Houbara Bustard, 3 Cream-coloured Coursers, more than 30 Barbary Partridges and 5 Stonechats.

Personally, whenever I've been to the Canary Islands I've always found it better to do some island hopping and on that particular trip we combined a few days in Tenerife (pigeons, Blue Chaffinch, Barbary Falcon) and a day visit to Gomera (good for another go at the pigeons). Although as the islands go I'd recommend the much-ignored la Palma: good for all the species on Tenerife (except the Blue Chaffinch) and where I found it easier to find Canary, both pigeons, Goldcrests, Plain swift, local Blue tits and Chaffinches (whatever they're called these days) and where you also get Chough. I'd say it also has good potential for finding a thing or two.

Steve West

Adrian,

It is mentioned in Clarke and Collins guide to the Canaries, though I think the site has been extended since then. I will try and post something more specific tomorrow if nobody else has by then.

Regards,

Stephen.

Hello Adrian

I visited Fuerteventura earlier this year, and found Catalina Garcia reservoir to be an oasis for birds with a new set of species on each of the three visits. It is a particular magnet for yank ducks, and Marbled Duck is a possibility.

Heading south from Tuineje on the FV-20 you'll see it in the distance on the left. Pull off the road onto a track leading to the lake and follow this to the dam (raised earth bank) where the track ends. This is driveable but is probably highly dependent on the effects of rain scouring so be sure to take it easy.

Also, be very careful of the high speed driving along the FV-20 when accessing the lake. Among the usual suspects were Barbary Falcon, Sacred Ibises (!), Spoonbills, and Black-winged Stilt. Ruddy Shelducks are easy to see here.

Stephen Dunstan said:
Will come back with more in due course, but think the butterflies were Plain Tigers. Anyone wanting a full trip list or mammals and butterflies let me know.

Hi Steven. Great report. Just wondering what other mammal species you came across (and reptiles). Cheers

The only thing I would add is other people who tried driving to the dam end a couple of weeks earlier did get stuck, so personally I would park near the road and walk (we did).

In terms of mammals only the ground squirrels and rabbits. I should have looked into the reptiles a bit more, probably too late now. They were all small lizards and apparently three species occur on the island per Clarke and Collins - Haria Lizard, Eastern Canary Skink and Eastern Canary Gecko.

Stephen.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back