• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bewick Swans near the River Bann (1 Viewer)

ohlookabirdie

love the birds!!!
Northern Ireland
I counted 64 Bewick Swans in a field near the River Bann, but when I got on my bike ot go a bit further I found it to have a Flat tyre!!
It wasn't a complete loss, the Bewick Swans are now my latest lifer, and i also seen a few pied wagtails, 3 Magpies, some jackdaws and carrion crows

Last edited:
Whooper swans are quite big, approaching the size of a Mute Swan. However, size can be difficult to ascertain at longish range. Look at the bill. On the Whooper Swan, the yellow always extends at least to the nostril and often in front of it and ends in a sharp point which makes the bill look bigger/longer and more pointed generally than it really is. On the Bewick's, the yellow on the side of the bill ends in a squarer shape and is therefore of a blunt impression(the yellow bit) and the yellow is nowhere near the nostril on the side. Overall, the Bewick's is a much more daintier bird. Hope this helps.

On another note, if there are that many birds there, some many be carrying plastic leg rings. Sometimes, these shown when they are swimming and can be read. If they get out of the water and the vegetation is short, you will be able to see these easily. Note any if you can and also the colour of the ring - probably yellow.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back