• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bewick's Swans (1 Viewer)

Mabel

Dance the ghost with me
Just got my latest issue of "Wings" (Birdwatch Ireland's magazine) It mentioned that Bewick's Swans are not really migrating like they used to. Ireland got around 2000 Bewick's Swans each year, now its more like 200. Apparently they have no need to migrate now, due to a less hospitable climate. What do ye all think? Has anyone else noticed it? (Without going into the climate change debate)

Hi Mabel

To be honest it is not just the Bewick's that are down in numbers but all wildfowl including Geese. Also the Thrush numbers seem down to me and quite a few other birders I know.

This was also apparent in Spain when I went over there at the end of December. Hardly any geese or ducks could be found anywhere.

John

Can quite believe that the mildness of this winter has had a great effect on a number of winter visitors. What period of time are they looking at in the study Mabel and did they have anything to say about Whooper Swans? Just been watching some Whoopers today, but I seem to think there are fewer about in the area this winter.

brianfm said:
Can quite believe that the mildness of this winter has had a great effect on a number of winter visitors. What period of time are they looking at in the study Mabel and did they have anything to say about Whooper Swans? Just been watching some Whoopers today, but I seem to think there are fewer about in the area this winter.

Said Whoopers are actually increasing in Ireland each winter. Very strange eh?

Still good numbers of Whooper Swans in Northumberland this winter. Saw 100 of them at Cresswell pond Northumberland yesterday.Also seen them elsewhere in Northumberland this winter .Seen no Bewick's this winter in Northumberland

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back