• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wolves in the Picos (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi all

It seems like the Picos/Cantabrian mountains are now 'the' place to see wolf in southern Europe. Has anyone out there had any luck independently? It's a possibility for next summer for me so any advice would we most welcome.

Cheers

Steve

Is a huge area and without local knowledge both on landscape features and on current whereabouts I guess is quite a difficult task to be successful. More in summer, when packs are breeding and move less.

The only advantage is that once you get yourself above the tree line you get extense views (as compared, for example, with Sierra de la Culebra at Zamora, holding also a good population but with much restricted views) and can cover a good area without moving.

All the side valleys from Riaño to San Glorio col are good, as well as is the Esla valley from the same town up to puerto de Tarna, both in the province of León. But that is a lot of terrain to search!

www.wildwatchingspain.com are probably the best guides for wolf in this area, but they are booked well in advance

Hi all

It seems like the Picos/Cantabrian mountains are now 'the' place to see wolf in southern Europe. Has anyone out there had any luck independently? It's a possibility for next summer for me so any advice would we most welcome.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited:
I will be doing independently. It's not really a money issue: I'm just not into having a guide or going on tours. I've never done the latter and very rarely done the former. I have seen wolves before and it my attitude would be if I'm unsuccessful well so be it; it's a good area to look for wildlife anyway and a pleasant place for a family holiday.

Last edited:
I will be doing independently. It's not really a money issue: I'm just not into having a guide or going on tours. I've never done the latter and very rarely done the former. I have seen wolves before and it my attitude would be if I'm unsuccessful well so be it; it's a good area to look for wildlife anyway and a pleasant place for a family holiday.

Ditto to this. Put the effort in and you get what you are looking for, guides merely dilute the whole experience (for me). And swallow enough cash to cancel out a second trip if the first wasn't successful :)

Despite our odd difference in the past, I feel Jos and I have a similar outlook. Although from what I've heard, and from reading his reports, I need the 'creature comforts' rather more than he does(especially as I get older!).

Well my ferry is booked and I'll be giving it a go. It's a family trip and they're not really into spending hours scanning but looking at the gen I think I've got a chance and some idea where to go. If anyone does get any more information, please do let me know.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back