Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

RSPB starting to reopen reserves

Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 06:42   #1
andreadawn
BF Supporter 2020

RSPB starting to reopen reserves

The RSPB have started reopening some of their reserves and car parks, though not hides, toilets or visitor centres.

Current list and information here-

https://www.rspb.org.uk/our-work/rsp...eserve-reboot/

BF Supporter 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 22nd May 2020, 21:09   #2
Farnboro John

Not Titchwell I see, even though it has a public footpath that won't have nests on it and the hides are a bonus rather than key to birding the place. Just open the car park, lock the hides, forget the money for the moment and let visitors get on with connecting with nature. Doesn't need people on site all the time. What a missed opportunity to earn some kudos.... how unsafe to make people find non-car park parking in order to use that public footpath! Bad show RSPB.

John
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 09:52   #3
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

I can understand the Titchwell closure continuing. The size of the carpark and the narrowness of the few footpaths combine to make social distancing impossible there.

Steve
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 10:23   #4
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Frampton Marsh now open as from this morning - centre/toilets and hides remain closed but carpark and trails open. To be honest I don't see much difference between here and Titchwell except that without the hides the viewing at Frampton is not as good as at Titchwell.

Steve
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 11:49   #5
Welsh Peregrine

BTW, the Burton Point path at Burton Mere has been reopened...
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 12:06   #6
Jon Turner

Looking forward to Ham Wall opening....
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 12:17   #7
Bismarck Honeyeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
I can understand the Titchwell closure continuing. The size of the carpark and the narrowness of the few footpaths combine to make social distancing impossible there.

Steve
The public footpath will never have been closed. I would have thought it would make sense to allow parking. Though Hides and centre should remain closed IMHO

Unfortunately whatever opens or doesn’t open social distancing will always come down to individuals, who either get it or don’t (get as in understand, though get as in virus works too)

BH
@birdingprof
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 12:56   #8
Julie50

I love Ham Walls! The WT reserves near me all have small paths and lots of hides - but I am hopeful for Middleton Lakes :)
Latest tick: Glaucous Gull
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 13:50   #9
Robert Wallace

I guess the logic of the RSPB and also the National Trust in keeping their car parks and facilities closed is to restrict the number of visitors on their properties. Ironically at Titchwell the birdwatching can be enjoyed from the public footpath, but there will be easier social distancing if the car park, not to mention the toilets are closed. Certainly that will act as a dis-incentive to the more mature members of the public.
I have also learned that Yorkshire Water have closed their public car parks near reservoirs, which is also a bind because some of their published walks using permissive footpaths that are on open moorland on the Pennines. Very frustrating as it only encourages people to park on the roadside.

Last edited by Robert Wallace : Saturday 23rd May 2020 at 13:53.
Old Saturday 23rd May 2020, 14:12   #10
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Wallace View Post
I guess the logic of the RSPB and also the National Trust in keeping their car parks and facilities closed is to restrict the number of visitors on their properties. Ironically at Titchwell the birdwatching can be enjoyed from the public footpath, but there will be easier social distancing if the car park, not to mention the toilets are closed. Certainly that will act as a dis-incentive to the more mature members of the public.
I have also learned that Yorkshire Water have closed their public car parks near reservoirs, which is also a bind because some of their published walks using permissive footpaths that are on open moorland on the Pennines. Very frustrating as it only encourages people to park on the roadside.
Exactly! These organisations are making peoples lives more dangerous not less, as well as failing to facilitate legitimate outdoor leisure activities that involve exercise and improve mental wellbeing in places where social distancing is not an issue. They are off-message.

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: